Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss after 1 year

So I had a consult with my surgeon today and he told me that most patients tend to go into a maintenance phase after 1 year (I'm 10 months post op and lost a bit over the weight that they expected). So I lost 70% of my excess weight, but I would like to loose a few more kg, I would actually like to loose at least 4 more kg (which is definitely possible before my 1 year mark) and my personal goal weight is actually still 14kg. What experience do you guys have with losing after 1 year?

He also told me that most people tend to regain a few kg before going into maintenance (he told me that regaining 5kg would be normal for me). Also would like the hear some experiences on this one, I panic at the idea of gaining those 5kg again...

Congrats on losing 51.8 lbs! Just curious, why would you be content to stop losing where you're are, at 270.7lbs when you're goal is 100lbs away still??? As I read on here, the one's who are truly focusing on losing every single day, exceed their surgeon's expectations and lose to goal or pretty close to goal.

My surgeon termed my honeymoon period as: 6 months in "the sweet spot" and an additional year in the active weight loss spot. Beyond that, weight loss isn't impossible, but merely more difficult than in the beginning phases.

If it were me, I would not be thinking of the regain. I would still be in high-gear to lose as much of that additional 100lbs as humanly possible within the next 10months! I'd do that by meeting my Vitamin, Water and daily Protein goals and keeping 20g net carbs daily. I would also strictly limit any shenanigans that include carby, fattening foods and alcohol.

Not meaning to be inflexible, I would just know I have more work to do and be very diligent about living "cleanly."

I'm over 2 years post op and I can still lose weight if i watch what I'm eating. I can also gain weight too so I watch my weight and if i gain I eat clean and the weight comes off. So having said that if you want to lose more eat clean and exercise.

Congrats on losing 51.8 lbs! Just curious, why would you be content to stop losing where you're are, at 270.7lbs when you're goal is 100lbs away still??? As I read on here, the one's who are truly focusing on losing every single day, exceed their surgeon's expectations and lose to goal or pretty close to goal.
My surgeon termed my honeymoon period as: 6 months in "the sweet spot" and an additional year in the active weight loss spot. Beyond that, weight loss isn't impossible, but merely more difficult than in the beginning phases.
If it were me, I would not be thinking of the regain. I would still be in high-gear to lose as much of that additional 100lbs as humanly possible within the next 10months! I'd do that by meeting my Vitamin, Water and daily Protein goals and keeping 20g net carbs daily. I would also strictly limit any shenanigans that include carby, fattening foods and alcohol.
Not meaning to be inflexible, I would just know I have more work to do and be very diligent about living "cleanly."

Actually I'm at 203 lb, I lost 117 already and like I said I would still like to lose another 30 to reach my personal goal.
I still watch what I'm eating, I don't track my food anymore unless I haven't lost in a while. Then I'll log my food for a week to see if I'm not going wrong somewhere, I drink a lot of water and exercise daily. I do a lot of cycling, did almost 1300km (I think that's 777 miles, correct me if I'm wrong) in the last 2 and a half months even when it's almost freezing and raining I will still go. The days I'm not cycling I will go for at least a 30 minute walk.
I don't want to stop loosing untill I'm at 170, but since my surgeon told me I was below his goal weight and that most people tend to go into maintenance after 1 year (which is only 2 more month for me) I got scared.

I'm over 2 years post op and I can still lose weight if i watch what I'm eating. I can also gain weight too so I watch my weight and if i gain I eat clean and the weight comes off. So having said that if you want to lose more eat clean and exercise.

Thanks that very reassuring, I still watch what I'm eating, drink my Water and exercise so. I do sometimes "slip up", like when we have a family dinner I will eat healty and allow myself 1 thing I really want, but I don't overdo like I used to. I'm still trying and working on losing those 30 lbs, but the way my surgeon told me I sounded like it's nearly impossible to loose after 1 year, kinda freaked me out at that moment [emoji23]

Surgeons say that cause u won't be losing weight anymore due to the surgery the next weight will come off from dieting and exercise. Remember to be gentle with your body it has been through a lot and it needs healthy food and lotsa Water and it eventually Will let go of excess weight. It's a journey and sometimes the last few pounds don't come off as quickly as we want them but if you make a healthy lifestyle with a couple of cheat meals and good daily exercise - nothing crazy your body does change. Try not to be hung up on a weight just live healthy and see where u end up. You might end up weighing more but being a smaller size cause of muscle. Remember to take your Vitamins and Protein Shakes .

Surgeons say that cause u won't be losing weight anymore due to the surgery the next weight will come off from dieting and exercise. Remember to be gentle with your body it has been through a lot and it needs healthy food and lotsa Water and it eventually Will let go of excess weight. It's a journey and sometimes the last few pounds don't come off as quickly as we want them but if you make a healthy lifestyle with a couple of cheat meals and good daily exercise - nothing crazy your body does change. Try not to be hung up on a weight just live healthy and see where u end up. You might end up weighing more but being a smaller size cause of muscle. Remember to take your Vitamins and Protein Shakes .

Thank you so much for this, this was just what i needed to hear. I don't mind if those last 30 lbs take a long time, even if they would take me more then 6 months or so I don't mind, as long as I eventually get to my goal I'm happy.

I try not to fixate on the number my scale shows me. The last 3 months I only did a monthly weigh in because I was panicking when I gained (which was quite often if you weigh daily) and would not eat at all. I also started exercising more intensely around the same time and even though I have only lost around 20lbs in the past 3 months I dropped multiple sizes. I have a lot more muscle especially in my legs and because of that I have less hanging skin. My body fat % has dropped immensely, so those are the things I try looking at now. But I had a weigh in at my surgeons office and knew I was 30 away from my personal goal because of that, so when he told me most people go into maintenance after 1 year and often gain a little bit back before maintaining it kinda made me panic.

10 hours ago, DaphneZ said:

Actually I'm at 203 lb, I lost 117 already and like I said I would still like to lose another 30 to reach my personal goal.
I still watch what I'm eating, I don't track my food anymore unless I haven't lost in a while. Then I'll log my food for a week to see if I'm not going wrong somewhere, I drink a lot of Water and exercise daily. I do a lot of cycling, did almost 1300km (I think that's 777 miles, correct me if I'm wrong) in the last 2 and a half months even when it's almost freezing and raining I will still go. The days I'm not cycling I will go for at least a 30 minute walk.
I don't want to stop loosing untill I'm at 170, but since my surgeon told me I was below his goal weight and that most people tend to go into maintenance after 1 year (which is only 2 more month for me) I got scared.

Sorry. I think I either mis-read your stats, or you updated them after I'd answered. Great job on the losses. Congrats!

I'd say to you and to myself, "Keep workin' it girlie, until YOU feel good in your body. If that's 170lbs, so be it. If it's more then go for it--regardless of what the surgeon/RD says."

Don't get scared! Just work it every dayum day long. :D

Woops, double post and don't know how to delete

Sorry. I think I either mis-read your stats, or you updated them after I'd answered. Great job on the losses. Congrats!
I'd say to you and to myself, "Keep workin' it girlie, until YOU feel good in your body. If that's 170lbs, so be it. If it's more then go for it--regardless of what the surgeon/RD says."
Don't get scared! Just work it every dayum day long. [emoji3]

You didn't misread, I hadn't updated my stats in a long time and noticed because of your response [emoji23] .
My personal goal was actually a size 42 (I have this picture were i always found myself looking good at that size) or 170 lbs, my surgeon said the op would get me to 207, so I already went past that. But the thing is that I'm already at size 42 atm and I don't feel like I look anything like that picture, so I wanne push till 170 now...

I believe a size 42 is a US size 12.

Height: 5’6” CW 244 GW 150