Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How am I supposed to fly on a plane with my meal replacement shakes?

I have to fly from Chicago to San Francisco on Sunday and I am currently on my pre-op liquid diet. How do I carry my shakes on the flight? Will a doctor's note help me? Should I contact the airport and ask?

Buy some powdered mixes to throw in to your purse.

3 hours ago, bogglesauce said:

How do I carry my shakes on the flight? Will a doctor's note help me? Should I contact the airport and ask?

I had wondered the same thing. Have a 6 hr flight from Phila to San Diego on Christmas Day for Surgery on the 27th. Will be on the strictest part of diet right before the fasting pre-op phase. Take packets of broth base & a couple bottles of Vitamin Water w/unflavored Protein or something...? Was thinking bottles might make carry-on and checked luggage a little heavy. IDK, but def interested to see how it goes for you. Good luck :)

I have to fly from Chicago to San Francisco on Sunday and I am currently on my pre-op liquid diet. How do I carry my shakes on the flight? Will a doctor's note help me? Should I contact the airport and ask?

Not in your carry on, your checked luggage. They will not let you bring liquids in your carry on. Or you can skip the whole ordeal and buy some shakes when you get to your destination.

Single serve powdered Protein Shakes are the easiest option. You can either take the powder in prepackaged sachets and shake in a blender cup or buy it in single serve sealed bottles of powder that you open, add Water, replace lid, and shake. You can get the water from the flight attendant or buy it at the gate. But most likely you won't be able to get premixed Liquid Protein shakes on the plane.

Edited by Once Upon a Sleeve

Depending on the airport you're flying out of. But if it's a decent sized airport I'd say there's an extremely probable chance you could buy a Protein Shake there.

Or bring in powder to mix with milk/water

Or a Protein Bar.

Or just bring in your favorite lean Protein source if choice. Unless it's 48 hours before surgery I have to imagine there would be no problem with eating lean protein for a single meal. But you could check with your office first

Powder and Blender Bottle. You can buy Water once you clear security. You cannot have the liquid through security. You can also have flight attendants give you water or milk on board your flight. Then, find a location at your destination to buy shakes. Or pack them in your checked luggage.

You can always mail you shakes or buy some when you get there.

I found these "Syntrax nectar Protein Powder Sampler Variety Bag - All 17 Flavors" on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFNYZCT/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2M52OKTIOEIDV&colid=3A9GBMO3FJHBV

I will be buying these, not only to try their product (i hear they are good!), and to try some flavors, but also because these single serve packs can go straight into my carry on with me on the plane and can use either milk or Water with them (purchased at airport or given to me on the plane).

19 hours ago, deidretan said:

I found these "Syntrax nectar Protein Powder Sampler Variety Bag - All 17 Flavors" on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFNYZCT/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2M52OKTIOEIDV&colid=3A9GBMO3FJHBV

I will be buying these, not only to try their product (i hear they are good!), and to try some flavors, but also because these single serve packs can go straight into my carry on with me on the plane and can use either milk or Water with them (purchased at airport or given to me on the plane).

Thanks for this! I'd forgotten about this brand and wanted to try. Perfect! And I'll be travelling while still a month pre-op but want to be good. Ordering now as this is the perfect way to check out all the flavors

I take powder packets and a blender/shaker bottle. Flew to California with mine. Bought Water in the airport after I was past security.

IMG_20171014_111218940.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app