Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Driving In The Fast Lane

One of my pet peeves is a person going 50mph in the fast lane, with a line of cars behind them (me being one of them). Over the years, I have learned to not let it bother me, but I really do want to try to understand people that do this. I am starting this thread to try to get to the root of this. I really want to understand why this is done. I may be in the wrong for getting mad at people that do this, and if so, I would like to know this, too.

I was once a passenger in my sister's car, when I realized SHE was one of these drivers. I asked her WHY she did this and she casually replied that she just didn't care. It didn't bother her that she was obstructing traffic and if other people wanted to get mad at about it, it really didn't bother her.

So, what really goes through someone's mind when driving below the speed limit in the passing lane?

I truly would like some honest replies. My intentions are not to make anyone the "bad guy". I would just like to understand the logic.

One of my pet peeves is a person going 50mph in the fast lane, with a line of cars behind them (me being one of them). Over the years, I have learned to not let it bother me, but I really do want to try to understand people that do this. I am starting this thread to try to get to the root of this. I really want to understand why this is done. I may be in the wrong for getting mad at people that do this, and if so, I would like to know this, too.

I was once a passenger in my sister's car, when I realized SHE was one of these drivers. I asked her WHY she did this and she casually replied that she just didn't care. It didn't bother her that she was obstructing traffic and if other people wanted to get mad at about it, it really didn't bother her.

So, what really goes through someone's mind when driving below the speed limit in the passing lane?

I truly would like some honest replies. My intentions are not to make anyone the "bad guy". I would just like to understand the logic.

Honestly, I don't understand the logic either. It figures, though, that I always get behind the person that wants to dawdle in the passing lane when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. What ticks me off even more are the semi drivers that decide to get in the passing lane when going up a long hill, even though everyone and their mother knows they won't be able to pass the car/truck in the slow lane.

Honestly, I don't understand the logic either. It figures, though, that I always get behind the person that wants to dawdle in the passing lane when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. What ticks me off even more are the semi drivers that decide to get in the passing lane when going up a long hill, even though everyone and their mother knows they won't be able to pass the car/truck in the slow lane.

Yeah, here in Texas they have some law that prohibits those semi drivers from being in the fast lane. They don't always follow it, though. I sometimes think that slow drivers are the ones who cause the most accidents. I know that everyone is responsible for their own reactions, but man, it's called a freeway for a reason. How ironic it is that a great amount of the drivers who cause accidents are never actually in the accident or held accountable.

Yeah, here in Texas they have some law that prohibits those semi drivers from being in the fast lane. They don't always follow it, though. I sometimes think that slow drivers are the ones who cause the most accidents. I know that everyone is responsible for their own reactions, but man, it's called a freeway for a reason. How ironic it is that a great amount of the drivers who cause accidents are never actually in the accident or held accountable.

I'm in Tennessee/Kentucky (depending on which day of the week it is), and we've got the laws here, too. But they don't follow them.

Oh, yeah, I believe you about the slow drivers. I keep telling my mom that she's a lot more likely to cause an accident driving slow like she does than if she would just drive the speed limit (she usually drives about 10 miles under the limit), just because she's causing a back-up and everyone has to switch lanes to go around her.

I mean, I don't speed too badly. I try not to go more than 5 mph over the speed limit, just because I'd figure that it would always be my luck to get pulled over. I've only gotten two speeding tickets, one for going 80 in a 55 (the road looked like an interstate and I was distracted, talking to the passenger) and one for going 40 in a 25 (every local road but that one has a speed limit of 35).

These are the same people who stand in a 12-deep line at Subway, staring at the menu, then get to the front of the line, and say, ......"Uh, let me see.....". What have they been staring at for 10 minutes?

Or when a carload is in front of me in the drive-thru at Starbucks. They've waited their turn to get to the speaker, then when they are asked what they want, they poll the other 4 people in the car. Couldn't they have decided before they get there????

Answer.....they don't care. It's all about them.

These are the same people who stand in a 12-deep line at Subway, staring at the menu, then get to the front of the line, and say, ......"Uh, let me see.....". What have they been staring at for 10 minutes?

Or when a carload is in front of me in the drive-thru at Starbucks. They've waited their turn to get to the speaker, then when they are asked what they want, they poll the other 4 people in the car. Couldn't they have decided before they get there????

Answer.....they don't care. It's all about them.

Or the ones in the bank drive-thru that wait until they get to the window or box-thingy to fill out the deposit slip or other transaction paperwork, after they've been sitting in line for 10 minutes.

Oh! BTW, Nancy, thanks for mentioning alcohol allergy/intolerance in the other thread. I looked it up, and it really seems like that may be what is going on with me whenever I drink alcohol. Good to know!

You guys have drive thru banks??

Man, you have everything over there.

For the question at hand, I cant stand it when people do it, it drives me crazy.

Can anyone say road rage :mad:

You guys have drive thru banks??

Man, you have everything over there.

yep, its great to live in the greatest country in the world!

Me-->:mad:<--kelli

Since I have never been the "slow" driver, I have no clue what they are thinking. I will be interested in the responses...

And after working for 3 years in the volatile D.C. area, you'd better believe I care what other people are thinking!

ohhh this is one of my biggest peeves!!!! I must say that I am not afraid to tail said slow driver until they move and I am not afraid to use my horn. why else would they put it in the car??? I cant figure out what is worse - being a Jersey driver driving in NJ or driving outside of the state???

I have a sister that is 7 years older than me. I learned how to drive in 2003. She learned in 1997. We were on the interstate returning from my mom's house after Thanksgiving. She actually got upset and pulled over to let me drive after I explained to her about the passing lane. It's soooo embarrassing to see 10 cars behind you in the passing lane.

Well, it bother's me too. But you know what I hate worse, when you are already freaking going 90 in the fast lane and someone is still tailing your butt trying to get you to go faster or to switch lanes.

Well, it bother's me too. But you know what I hate worse, when you are already freaking going 90 in the fast lane and someone is still tailing your butt trying to get you to go faster or to switch lanes.

There are just SO MANY THINGS to hate about driving. Slow people in the fast lane, tailgaters when you ARE going fast (especially when you're only in the passing late to PASS someone, and intend to move over, buy you still aren't fast enough for them. OLD PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO ADMIT THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN THEIR CAR!!!!!!!!! California is evidently piloting a program where your reflexes and eyesight (peripheral, not just the chart on the wall) will be tested. They expect this will help get around the age discrimination issues. My DH says the biggest problem is they'll give anyone who wants one a license, and they never take them away. I have one friend who failed the written test 3 times, and then once she passed that, she failed the driving test 3 times before she got a license. I love my friend, but they should make you wait a certain amount of time after you fail the test 3 times before you can take it again. In CA once you fail 3 times you have to pay the $12 or whatever it is again, but you can try again as soon as an appt is available.