Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you cook for your family post-op?

Hi. I am 36 hours post-op. Before I had the surgery I advised my husband he'll have to fend for himself for a few weeks. We are older ( no more kids at home) and he was a bachelor for a while before we got married a year ago so he's pretty self sufficient.

I'm just wondering how everyone else does it. I'm just afraid to be around food that I know I love when I'm only allowed this liquid diet portion of recovery. I don't want to get into a position where I might be tempted to cheat and ruin my new stomach.

Is anyone else making their significant other fend for themselves? What about those with children at home. How are you managing meal prep and not being tempted?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am following this. I have two kids at home still and am not sure how to handle this. I have told my spouse that they are responsible for meals for awhile but that gets hard. Once I can eat normal food everyone is going to start eating healthier when I am cooking!!

I am following this. I have two kids at home still and am not sure how to handle this. I have told my spouse that they are responsible for meals for awhile but that gets hard. Once I can eat normal food everyone is going to start eating healthier when I am cooking!!

I told my husband the same thing. He's okay with it because he wants to lose about 15 pounds too. He thinks he might lose it while I'm doing to post op diet. He blames me for the 15 pounds he's gained since we met hahaha. I do love to cook comfort food which is typically not the healthy stuff.

Two kids at home and I’ve been cooking for them and hubby since I was 1 week out. They fended for themselves that one week but I’ve been cooking for about 2 weeks now and it works perfectly fine.

Granted, it’s only 2 weeks so neither appetite nor hunger are making me want stuff... maybe ask me again a few months out? But so far it’s been no big deal.

I started cooking three days after surgery. I had two teens at home when I had my surgery 14 months ago. I cook high Protein, low carb for the house. Everyone survives just fine. Steak, veggie, potato for them not for me. chicken, rice, salad. No rice for me. Pretty straight forward.

Hubs is capable of cooking for 2 kiddos. Honestly I am not interested in food very much. When I can eat normal food, I will make a meat, veg, and some noodle dish for them. I will eat the Protein, a bite of veg. When they have spaghetti - I will have ricotta bake, or turkey meatball. Mine love fish, and healthy food anyway. Everyone likes eggs for bf, or some variation. The kiddos LOVE green tuna - tuna w mashed avocado ad lemon juice - I will forgo the triscuits.

My husband claims that once I have the surgery (finally have a date!) he's going to do nutrisystem for the first few weeks. He needs to lose some weight and figures that way I don't have to cook and I won't have to watch him eat good food. He figures nutrisystem food won't even be tempting :) we'll see!

My husband claims that once I have the surgery (finally have a date!) he's going to do nutrisystem for the first few weeks. He needs to lose some weight and figures that way I don't have to cook and I won't have to watch him eat good food. He figures nutrisystem food won't even be tempting [emoji4] we'll see!

Oh that's a good idea!

Straight up, I dont'. I have a 11 year old boy, and five year old daughter. My son is home schooled, so he doesn't really get up till about 2pm, he does school at night from about 10-midnight or so, and the five year old, I get her her Breakfast of Cereal in the AM and then put out Snacks for her to munch on all day, then when my husband comes home, he gets to handle them both for dinner along with himself. He can cook, or they order out. With their metabolism, I'm not too worried about it yet. My son will eat later in the day, and he can work the microwave with food already done, or simply PB&J sandwiches. I told them both that with this surgery and the pre-op diet, I was not going to cook for a long time and for them both to figure it out. Now this might sound harsh, but when. I was growing up, I was in band, so my dinner time with my family were in different hours, and it made me learn how to cook for myself and if I wanted just sand which then I did. I do miss cooking for them, because I'm a huge fan of cooking and baking, but right now, I need to worry about ME. And with being around that much food, three times a day, I know I'll loose my mind, LOL.

I'm almost 6 weeks out, but I was cooking for my family at about 3 days post op. I have a husband and kids 10, 15,17,and 21. They love too eat. I wasn't going to risk eating and getting sick. I believe some are stronger than others, if you think it will be too much try not to do it

Sleeved 9/25
Starting Weight 261
Surgery Weight 241
3 Weeks postop 224
1 month postop 221

And it's hard cooking for that many people, even little ones, cause not everyone wants to eat the same thing. My husband was just eating a slice of pizza now for lunch and the smell of it, about made me gag.

I'm a little concerned about this too! I live with my parents and boyfriend and since I'm the only one who don't work I do the cooking and cleaning. Not out of choice may I add lol. Lazy days for me are kind of frownd upon! 🙄 I feel like if I didn't do it I'd feel terrible watching them finish work and having to cook when I could of had it ready for when they get in because this is what I've always been used to. So even if they said it was fine it'd be a problem!

Sent from my F5121 using BariatricPal mobile app

Straight up, I dont'. I have a 11 year old boy, and five year old daughter. My son is home schooled, so he doesn't really get up till about 2pm, he does school at night from about 10-midnight or so, and the five year old, I get her her breakfast of cereal in the AM and then put out Snacks for her to munch on all day, then when my husband comes home, he gets to handle them both for dinner along with himself. He can cook, or they order out. With their metabolism, I'm not too worried about it yet. My son will eat later in the day, and he can work the microwave with food already done, or simply PB&J sandwiches. I told them both that with this surgery and the pre-op diet, I was not going to cook for a long time and for them both to figure it out. Now this might sound harsh, but when. I was growing up, I was in band, so my dinner time with my family were in different hours, and it made me learn how to cook for myself and if I wanted just sand which then I did. I do miss cooking for them, because I'm a huge fan of cooking and baking, but right now, I need to worry about ME. And with being around that much food, three times a day, I know I'll loose my mind, LOL.

Oh good I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's only temporary. My husband told me not to worry about him because he knows I love to cook delicious aromatic meals and he does not want to put me into a position where it will make my life hell. He'll cook this less smelling foods or grab a quick bite on the way home. 6 weeks. We just have to survive 6 weeks.

I did cook him a steak and garlic bread made with freshly roasted garlic because the ribeye was in the freezer and he's been such a good sport. But oh man. That food smells soooooo good. 2 hours later and it's still lingering.

The liquid diet after surgery was rough for me. I actually felt pretty hungry, and I did need to cook for my family. Truthfully, I got through it with willpower and the very real fear that I could hurt myself by eating the wrong thing.

Once I started being able to eat some soft food, it was much, much better. They still ate different things that me, but I didn't feel as deprived/hangry.

I am 7 weeks now, and we pretty much eat the same thing. I just eat tiny little portions, and I skip the carby part of most meals. It works really well, and I don't feel like I am missing out at all. If I really want something, I eat a small serving of it.

My husband cooks. He did all the cooking prior to surgery and he continues to do the cooking after. I don't cook. I don't like to and I'm not good at it so it hasn't changed much in our house. My hubby has always cooked healthy so that's not an issue, we just used to eat out a lot so we don't do that anymore. Now it's a treat.