Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I got sleeves on 10/5 and I am down 22lbs but for the past week I’ve just stayed the same. Was wondering if this seems like a normal thing?

Thanks!

Yes it is. Annoying but normal.

It's called the "3 week stall". Happens to almost everyone. Can last for a week or two.

Stalls are a normal part of the journey, as are day to day weight fluctuations. scale will even go up a few pounds. Don't fret.. there is nothing you have done to cause it, and no way to prevent it.

Stick to your plan and have faith. Stalls are a problem if 5+ weeks pass with no change, and your measurements haven't changed. Many times we shrink while the scale holds steady.

Funny you should say this. I'm in the midst of a monthlong stall, but I feel like I'm getting smaller nonetheless. I thought it was just an illusion. Hmmm...

Oh, yes! No illusion! Be sure to use the tape measure every now and then for another way to check progress. Sometimes when we're in bigger clothing sizes we can lose several inches before having to buy new ones.

Another thing.. don't always measure only at the belly button. As things deflate, they tend to head south, and the measurement won't seem to change... but its because you're measuring some vertical distance too.

Learned that one the hard way on my hubby and myself.

Find the area in your side where your ribs and hipbone almost touch. That is your natural waist, and measure there, in a mirror, keeping the tape horizontal. You'll likely be above your belly button. (For me, it's almost 6 inches above!).

You know, I'm gonna put this info in a new post since not everyone looks at stall posts...

I'm currently in the 3rd week stall. The scale hasn't moved all week, however, I expected it and am just sticking to the plan. My clothes are looser fitting so I know progress is still being made. Just stay the course.

I don’t mind stalls at all. I am ending my 3rd stall. Had one at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 11 weeks. Every time I have stalled, my weight loss has sped up immediately after the stall was over. I normally lose 1-2 pounds per week, but have lost 3 pounds in the last 3 days. Trust the process, and you will be successful.

I have read about stalls on several sites. So I am aware they happen. However, the length seems to vary from person to person. What I have not seen is tips to get through it, besides give it time. What seems to work best:

- increase Water

-decrease sodium, carbs, calories, etc.

-increase activity

I have followed the diet to a 'T'. using the lose it app. I am under daily calories, sodium and carbs. Only short on Fiber.

I am guessing each person's stall if different so the best practices will vary...

Around here we don't usually recommend changing it up very soon postop.. because if you are following the plan, you don't HAVE to change anything. To keep looking for ways to break a stall is pretty much saying "I'm doing something wrong, so I have to fix it"... which is usually NOT the case!

Self esteem issues are rampant, so the idea that you can screw up the postop diet (that you ARE following).. does way more harm than good.

Of course if someone stalls out for an excessive time, then it's time to reevaluate. Maybe they aren't following the diet as well as they thought, or it may need a tweak for them individually. But, the vast majority of stalls break in 3-4 weeks on their own.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, gwbicster said:

Funny you should say this. I'm in the midst of a monthlong stall, but I feel like I'm getting smaller nonetheless. I thought it was just an illusion. Hmmm...

I've been stalled for going on 6 weeks currently but I've dropped another size (my clothing is big again) and I've noticed that my arms and legs have started to tighten up so I know that something is happening but it's frustrating none-the-less.

Around here we don't usually recommend changing it up very soon postop.. because if you are following the plan, you don't HAVE to change anything. To keep looking for ways to break a stall is pretty much saying "I'm doing something wrong, so I have to fix it"... which is usually NOT the case!
Self esteem issues are rampant, so the idea that you can screw up the postop diet (that you ARE following).. does way more harm than good.
Of course if someone stalls out for an excessive time, then it's time to reevaluate. Maybe they aren't following the diet as well as they thought, or it may need a tweak for them individually. But, the vast majority of stalls break in 3-4 weeks on their own.

Very well said. We need to stop focusing on the stall and work the program. The weight will come off if you work the program. Good luck to everyone.