Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My PCP (great doc) recommended it to me -- it took me a while to take her seriously and do some research, and then I "got" it. Surgery risks are relatively low, and surgical outcomes are relatively high (BP, cholesterol, sleep apnea, GERD, estrogen-related cancers, aching hips/knees). There's no guarantees, but heck, this is worth the risks that surgery carries for me.

I wish you all the best with your PCP. I would go to Mexico if I had to self-pay, too.

9 hours ago, DRoseman said:

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts/experiences. My PCP is not keen on it either. She feels that the 150+ pounds I need to lose can be done with just diet and exercise. I've been there and done that! I gain it all back plus more! I didn't know that our PCP had to give their approval for surgery. I'm not sure mine will.

DR Potential Sleever

Exactly, on the "been there, done that". Also, I don't think you have to have the support of your PCP, but maybe it depends on your insurance.

I shopped around as a cash pay patient. Most surgeons in the US required medical clearance from my Pcp. Some wanted medical histories, some just a clearance. Luckily mine was awesome about it and ordered all my preop testing and post op blood work.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Very interesting read. I have an appointment with my PCP the 14th. She herself has had Bariatric surgery so am not expecting a NO from her on that but not sure how she will feel about Mexico. I like the idea of lab work and EKG before going. I am 63 , diabetic, former smoker and I want to ensure I am healthy enough to have the surgery before I get there and find for whatever reason I cannot.

I also had a very bad experience discussing the sleeve surgery with my previous PCP. I literally left in tears. The doctor was raising her voice at me every time I would ask her why she did not think it was a good idea and all she would respond with "you don't need it." My almost one year old daughter was with and she started crying because of the way she was yelling at me. But, since my previous PCP was unwilling to even have a discussion (I even tried to follow up with with office multiple times). I found myself a new PCP. I honestly think it is about perpective and education when it comes to recommending bariatric surgery. I'm so sorry to hear you had a difficult visit. But maybe when you follow up you can help educate your doctor a little more. If not, there are other doctors - I don't say that lightly either because I really don't think shopping around for doctors is entirely right, but you know yourself better than anyone and if you think this is in your best interest then you should find a doctor to support you. I really wish you the best of luck!

I have a great relationship with my PCP and when I first told her about it she said the only way she would give me clearance is if I went to the surgeon that she recommended. So I agreed and I love My surgeon. If I was you because she is a great PCP I don’t think she will send you in the wrong direction. Good Luck

I have not rea comments but in regards to your depression its a good point, even people with no history of depression can find them self quite severly depressed at first after surgery, not being able to sink into food at a bad moment makes you face up to alot of things you have been avoiding.. I would make sure you have that under control because it really is a rolacoaster.

3 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

I have not rea comments but in regards to your depression its a good point, even people with no history of depression can find them self quite severly depressed at first after surgery, not being able to sink into food at a bad moment makes you face up to alot of things you have been avoiding.. I would make sure you have that under control because it really is a rolacoaster.

I do agree with you. I cannot be careless when it comes to depression. I feel I'm in a good place, yet know I have to be realistic as much as is possible without knowing just what my journey will look like.

16 hours ago, Kristi Jacobs said:

Very interesting read. I have an appointment with my PCP the 14th. She herself has had Bariatric surgery so am not expecting a NO from her on that but not sure how she will feel about Mexico. I like the idea of lab work and EKG before going. I am 63 , diabetic, former smoker and I want to ensure I am healthy enough to have the surgery before I get there and find for whatever reason I cannot.

I'm saddened that the unscrupulous surgeons in Mexico have tainted the opinions of the whole. I am so grateful to have the chance at this surgery because of Mexico.

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. My BMI hovers around 34 to 35, and has off and on for the last 25 years (gaining and losing the same 30# every couple of years). The second I saw the bariatric doctor's paperwork, I knew I was facing an uphill battle. In addition to the preop labs and tests, which I think PCP would reluctantly order, they want my PCP to sign a form that states PCP deems weight loss surgery to be medically necessary. As predicted, PCP is balking at signing this form, as 'diet and exercise' should be sufficient. <_<

This is INFURIATING to me! The first endocrinologist I was referred to in my new insurance network upon moving to OR last year told me that "if I can't lose the weight on my own, surgery won't help." This is a man who deals with obese people with diabetes all day long...and he knows damn well that insulin and other drugs make it even harder to lose weight. For him to tell me that my problems are because of will power makes me sick. When I was a fat four year old, what was the problem then? What was my personality flaw then, Mr Biased!??

Then, then! I go for my annual pap and the guy wants to give me a hysterectomy because I have a soggy uterus from adenomyosis - no pain, nothing, he just wants to cut but is worried about how fat I am. He tells me I'm so obese that I have to worry about cancer at this point. I mention having the bypass and he literally guffawed. He said that "there's no such thing as magic." I wanted to punch him in the face. Did I say it was magic? No. Did I say I wasn't willing to remove my uterus on his nine second whim even though the last time I saw him, he said he wouldn't do any testing on me to insure a HPV stage 1 cancer scare hadn't reared its ugly head again after a lot of weight gain in a recent pregnancy? - - he said even though the LEEP procedure I had to get rid of it was 10 years ago, I'd be "silly" to think I'd actually be the 1 in 15 million who would test positive again (even though his statistic was for over a five year period). AAARGH.

You know, there was a time in this country where doctors deserved to be revered - or heck, maybe we were all just blind sheep without the power of the internet and they never deserved it - but I tell you what. You sound like you care WAAAAAY too much about what this doctor thinks. The only people you should be discussing weight loss surgery options with is a weight loss center of excellence staff member and/or surgeon. If you want positive encouragement (or honest feedback), go to a support group. But to allow people who don't support your endeavor to get healthy rock your confidence to the point of seeking advice on a website for it....? This doctor needs to be cut from your life. She had the nurse call? Are you sure you have a great relationship?

We cannot have it both ways. We cannot change without changing everything, including the people we surround ourselves with who can't support us (and who are usually in relationships with us because we're obese to some degree because it makes them feel better about their own insecurities), and then be surprised or concerned and get upset when these people who keep us - fat, self doubting, depressed, confused - reveal their biases.

When I found another endo, by the way, she said gastric bypass is the closest thing in the world to a cure for diabetes and that she was utterly floored by the PA who spoke to me so unprofessionally. She was so angry, she is taking action in her own office and is going to be a stronger advocate for her patients on this issue. Progress somewhere is better than haters who have no specialization or true knowledge of the surgery/process/outcomes/etc.

I don't mean to sound insensitive to YOU or cynical, but I have just HAD it, especially with male doctors, who feel it's their right to put me down no matter what I do.

Edited by citizenlizzie