Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not hungry

I’m having trouble with my daily Protein intake. I’m just not hungry. And things are starting to taste different. Like applesauce. Used to love it. Now? Can’t stand it. I’ve grown to steadily dispose the Protein Shakes I have. But I refuse to buy new ones until I finish it.... the only thing I do is drink tea, and occasionally coffee. (3x a week) I’m afraid I’m pushing myself into a stall by not eating but nothing tastes good anymore and I’m just really not hungry. Just some insight I’m 2.5 weeks post op coming out of puréed stage. Have tried some solid foods like small pieces of chicken and steak and they were tolerated well.

chicken and steak are tough for 2.5 weeks out (unless blended smooth with broth). Double check your plan on that one.

I was eating lots of cottage cheese and yogurt, eggs (cooked very softly), and mashed/moistened Beans. Split pea or lentil Soup.

Oh, and soft white fish.. blended or not.

30 minutes ago, BDME said:

I’m having trouble with my daily Protein intake. I’m just not hungry. And things are starting to taste different. Like applesauce. Used to love it. Now? Can’t stand it. I’ve grown to steadily dispose the Protein Shakes I have. But I refuse to buy new ones until I finish it.... the only thing I do is drink tea, and occasionally coffee. (3x a week) I’m afraid I’m pushing myself into a stall by not eating but nothing tastes good anymore and I’m just really not hungry. Just some insight I’m 2.5 weeks post op coming out of puréed stage. Have tried some solid foods like small pieces of chicken and steak and they were tolerated well.

Actual steak and chicken 2.5 weeks in?Coming out of puree, into what? Your plan is for sure different to anything I have seen, so if you can tell us what your plan is we can help.

Edited by dreamingsmall

My doc’s orders were, “if you’re not hungry, don’t eat.” Just be mindful of your fluids for sure. You will eventually get hungry.

7 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

My doc’s orders were, “if you’re not hungry, don’t eat.” Just be mindful of your fluids for sure. You will eventually get hungry.

LOL I can not eat for a week + If I follow that rule, honestly, but I dont try to force it or eat x amount of times I try to just roughly go with the flow, but I can't say I am hungry.

"If you're not hungry, don't eat" ?? No... it doesn't work that way. One of the effects of surgery is to take away appetite.

When we don't eat, we don't want to.. and because we don't want to, then we don't.. and when we don't, we don't want to...

It's a vicious cycle. Without nourishment, you can't heal. Now.. you can drink your nourishment, no one said it must be solid. But it does need to be consumed.

Just now, Berry78 said:

"If you're not hungry, don't eat?" No... it doesn't work that way. One of the effects of surgery is to take away appetite.

When we don't eat, we don't want to.. and because we don't want to, then we don't.. and when we don't, we don't want to...

It's a vicious cycle. Without nourishment, you can't heal. Now.. you can drink your nourishment, no one said it must be solid. But it does need to be consumed.

Yup, I went almost 3 weeks when I was in hospital not eating i started off just eating one bite at each meal, here and there then completely nothing for over a week, they kept trying to force me to have all these build up drinks but I just could not do it. I had to force myself even though even now my tummy feels awful eating but I have to as I am on so many meds right now lol But i could never eat forever honestly with the way it makes me feel But do what I can to function.

The longer I went without food the less 'hunger' occurred.

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

"If you're not hungry, don't eat" ?? No... it doesn't work that way. One of the effects of surgery is to take away appetite.

Well that was my rule, but it didn’t apply really. I was physically hungry by day 5. But keep in mind, it was food related, he did want all fluids and Protein Drinks consumed. I guess I should have been more clear.

Reasoning behind it is to not force yourself to eat. Your body will know when it needs fuel. Or should know.....

Edited by Newme17

Maybe this applies further out??? Cause I’m surely not going to force myself to eat just because it is “time to eat” or “need to have such and such macro/micro nutrients in for the day”. If I’m not hungry, I don’t need to be eating. That’s like mindless eating. Not going back to that.

chicken and steak are tough for 2.5 weeks out (unless blended smooth with broth). Double check your plan on that one.
I was eating lots of cottage cheese and yogurt, eggs (cooked very softly), and mashed/moistened Beans. Split pea or lentil Soup.< br> Oh, and soft white fish.. blended or not.

Sorry I miss counted my days. I’m 3 weeks and 1 day post op. My appointment is tomorrow where my doc would tell me if solid food is cool or not. So I decided to give it a try a little early since my tummy was tolerating everything else so well. I have to go get some yogurt. I had sugar free pudding and it was gross so I gave it to my grandma.

16 minutes ago, BDME said:

Sorry I miss counted my days. I’m 3 weeks and 1 day post op. My appointment is tomorrow where my doc would tell me if solid food is cool or not. So I decided to give it a try a little early since my tummy was tolerating everything else so well. I have to go get some yogurt. I had sugar free pudding and it was gross so I gave it to my grandma.

No judgment, you are still risking a leak by having what your not supposed to have before your supposed to have it, you may have tolerated it, but you will not know a leak has occured till it has happened so best to prevent it by not rushing ahead. No need to try early because you will get there eventually :) Goodluck.

26 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Well that was my rule, but it didn’t apply really. I was physically hungry by day 5. But keep in mind, it was food related, he did want all fluids and Protein Drinks consumed. I guess I should have been more clear.

Reasoning behind it is to not force yourself to eat. Your body will know when it needs fuel. Or should know.....

I understand what your saying, sorry I thought you meant like no food or protein( eg drinks) if not feeling it because I know some people who dont have hunger at all. But I am with you in that I dont well i cant anyway lol eat and stuff myself to get xx amount to reach all calculations as that doesnt work for me.

At the moment I just have 30grams Protein Shake for Breakfast 2 ounce Protein 2 ounce veg for lunch and then 2 ounce protein and 2 ounce veg for evening meal, but after one bite of my evening meal i just could not do it, so I left it. It is not much food but I cant force myself or I will feel ill and I feel my body has enough fat on it for the moment, and I am taking my Vitamins, so I am hoping I am doing okay. But I do know alot of people do force themselves to eat to reach macros but that part of me has died lol I cant force myself to eat anymore were as that was my fav past time lol eating when I know my body did not want me to?

Its a difficult one, to know if im doing the right thing or not lol (my dietician does not give me a number to focus on for macros so im not reaching for anything right now lol

34 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

and sorry my LOL was not AT YOU i was LOL at myself if I applied this rule as pre surgery i could not go any amount of time without eating now i have to force myself, i can barely believe it

The first few months are like walking into a different world.

Part if that world is GOALS. 64+oz fluids and 60g or more Protein are your first goals.

This is part of the transformation that we must undergo postop.

food used to be for fun, habit, an emotional net, socialization, etc.

Now it must be used as building blocks for the body. It can be enjoyable, but that isn't the POINT.

In order to survive, there are a zillion chemical and physical processes that happen within the body. Every one of those processes requires energy and materials to perform.

Our fat can supply the energy, but some of the materials are not stored in the body, that is where food and Protein Shakes come in.

Our goals right after surgery are minimal. Fluids, then protein, then Vitamins, then it's the texture progression and experimenting with flavors and textures.

No one expects goals to be met 100% of the time. The idea is we TRY to meet them. If you are eating to meet goals, then your eating is coming from the correct place. It is in no way comparable to snacking from boredom (or any other reason).

If a typical person has the flu, and doesn't feel like eating, that's fine. They keep up with their fluids and a week later they start eating again. No big deal.

Bariatric patients are going for 6 months or a year with a very small stomach and frequently not much appetite. If we go too long without meeting our goals, we get dehydrated and weak, and if it continues, things go downhill from there.

Our epiphany is to truly understand what food is for, and our duty is to remember it, forever.

Food, goals, food, goals, food, goals.

6 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

my dietician does not give me a number to focus on for macros so im not reaching for anything right now lol

I’ve never had a number to go by from my nut. Just eat sensibly and not overeat. Sure there are some food guidelines, but she really wants me to be mindful of what my body needs. I often do not finish any last bite. I consider myself a success thus far....you should too. 😊