Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time off of work should I plan to take after the surgery? Some people say 1 week and some are even saying up to 6 weeks.

Tiffany

I am going to be taking 2 weeks off mainly because that’s all the time work will allow me but light duties for 4 weeks after and just see how I go. I have already told them I won’t be able to lift over 5kgs for a while and possibly start with shorter shifts the first week back to see how my energy levels are.
Good luck xx

~ in the process of getting date for Gastric Bypass Surgery ~

I took three weeks off. I’m a week out tomorrow and there is no way in the world I would be able to go back anytime soon

I didnt think i was gonnA be able to go back to work at my 2nd week but i did with restrictions and the mivement actually helped alot

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

11 hours ago, tiff86 said:

How much time off of work should I plan to take after the surgery? Some people say 1 week and some are even saying up to 6 weeks.

Tiffany

I had my surgery on Friday and could have gone back to work on the following Tuesday, but I had a drain. Once the drain was removed (7 days post op), I was feeling like a million bucks and went back! I have a desk job.

I’m currently 7 days out with the sleeve. I had a drain in while in the hospital. It was removed the 2nd day upon my discharge.

I took 2 weeks off. I do mainly a desk job and if I had to I could go back today I could have but it would have been difficult. I am swallowing a bit better but still on just fluids. I am getting all my Protein in and staying hydrated. My stomach area is still a bit sore. I can’t say that I’m that fatigued. BUT... I’m so thankful I took that 2nd week.

I would highly recommend taking at least 2 weeks off. One week is too soon.

I only took 1 week off. I had some pain but it was not to the point where I could not function. Staying busy is the way to go..

17 hours ago, myra81 said:

I have a desk job and returned after 2 weeks. I wish I would have taken 3 weeks off due to the fatigue.

I have heard this alot. I am waiting for approval and hoping for surgery in December and I think I will stay out as long as recommended because I want to do everything I can to have a great recovery.

My surgeon tried to tell me “you’ll be back to work in 3 days” no no no. Depending on your job I would take atleast a week off. I have a somewhat physical jobs (Reaching, bending down, ladders) and I was back a week and a half after my sleeve but I still took it easy.
It takes about two weeks to kinda adjust and feel “normal” again

I took 2 weeks and wish I had taken 3. If I had a desk job I think 2 weeks would have been ok, but I am on my feet and bending a lot at work so it was uncomfortable and exhausting.

I went back after 4 weeks . My job is extremely physical and I usually reach10000 steps by 11am . I was on light duty for a couple of weeks and definitely got tired quickly but the more I moved the more calories and Protein I could take and the more my energy improved

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app