Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Weight Loss

I just weighed myself and so far I have lost 16lbs since beginning this journey in August. How much did you lose before surgery? The main things I have changed is my eating. But to be honest I definitely slip up some days. But as a whole I am eating much healthier. I am trying to incorporate more exercise but I am just starting that now. What changes did you make to lose weight pre-surgery? BTW their is no requirement with my insurance of weight loss.

Hi @Krista27! I started my journey in April 2017 and I've lost between 20 and 25 pounds - I kept plateauing and then slipped up a bit. I just started my liquid pre-op diet about a week ago and haven't been able to weigh myself in a while because I sprained my ankle and can't put any weight on it.

I have been on a low carb high Protein life style. I have been going to the gym at least 3-4 a week and about 35- 55 min each time. I will have to say getting yourself mentally ready is probably the best thing we can do Pryor to surgery. I figure if I practice eating high protein now it wont be a big deal after surgery. I started at 280 and I'm now down to 254 and hoping to lose more during my two week liquid diet. They put me on a two week liquid diet to shrink my liver.

I was thinking the same thing. Are we required to lose weight before surgery or does it depend on our surgeon? It's been so hard for me to stay on track. Hopefully once I start my liquid diet, it'll be easier since it'll be a routine. Is anyone else like this? LOL

1 minute ago, sandra305 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Are we required to lose weight before surgery or does it depend on our surgeon? It's been so hard for me to stay on track. Hopefully once I start my liquid diet, it'll be easier since it'll be a routine. Is anyone else like this? LOL

I started my liquid diet almost a week earlier than I needed to and it turned out to be a great idea. It seems like the more weight you lose pre-op, the better you do post-op.

Just now, bogglesauce said:

I started my liquid diet almost a week earlier than I needed to and it turned out to be a great idea. It seems like the more weight you lose pre-op, the better you do post-op.

Ok that doesn't sound like a bad idea! Thanks :)

12 minutes ago, sandra305 said:

Ok that doesn't sound like a bad idea! Thanks :)

No problem. I called my nutritionist to ask her if it was okay to start early and she said it was totally fine. You may want to do the same just in case.

19 minutes ago, sandra305 said:

Are we required to lose weight before surgery or does it depend on our surgeon?

If you’re going through insurance, be sure to get the specifics with it in regards to a weight loss requirement or not. Your team should know, but you should definitely know in case you’ve been given the wrong info. (I’ve read some stories that didn’t add up). I called mine and got the info for myself (no loss requirement) and followed up with my doc office as well. I lost 15 lbs pre-op anyway.

22 minutes ago, sandra305 said:

YESSS.

The struggle is real!

It's more of a mental thing for me. I think like ohh you wont have this for a while after surgery eat it now. But Then i think Damn how much time at the gym is this going to take me to get off. Since I'm so close to surgery date it seems like these feeling are coming strong. I just have to keep telling myself this is the process to a better you, So don't mess this up for you!

I started my journey in July, I’ve lost 30 pounds. I don’t have a required diet ore surgery other then 2 week liquid diet. I’m on day 3/14 lost 5.1 on that so far.

1 hour ago, vrm2bfit said:

YESSS.

The struggle is real!

It's more of a mental thing for me. I think like ohh you wont have this for a while after surgery eat it now. But Then i think Damn how much time at the gym is this going to take me to get off. Since I'm so close to surgery date it seems like these feeling are coming strong. I just have to keep telling myself this is the process to a better you, So don't mess this up for you!

OMG I keep saying this every time I indulge into sweets!! "Well, eat it now since your body can't have this right after surgery". It's like what the heck!! My brain does not want to stick to my plan of starting post-op diet so it's easier to lose the weight instead of sudden change. WHY!!!!

I lost 20 pre-op but that was over many months and honestly I wasn't trying very hard. I was totally in the "last meal mentality". Once I started pre-op diets, it was over. I lost 30 in the 3 weeks after surgery but haven't weighed since that. I was getting too focused on the numbers.

I have lost 22 pounds since I attended the surgery info session in mid-August. At my consult soon after, the surgeon recommended that I lose 20-30 pounds before surgery (which won't likely be until May as I have to go through the 6-month supervised nutrition visits for insurance) but did not require it. My insurance requires the supervised nutrition visits but does not require weight loss. I have been wondering whether I will be able to sustain this. In the past, it's usually at about 6-9 months that I really struggle to maintain changes to my diet and weight loss. At that point this time, I will be going on the 2-week liver shrinkage plan and then moving to surgery, so I'm hopeful that any weight I lose pre-op will actually remain lost. I lost most of the 22 very quickly, and it is now slow.

Does anyone know -- when you are looking at average excess weight lost, do you calculate from you initial weight or your surgery weight? So if an average loss from RNY is 65% of excess weight, would I use 362 (my starting weight) or XXX (whatever my weight is the day of surgery) to calculate the 65%?

32 minutes ago, brightfaith said:

I have lost 22 pounds since I attended the surgery info session in mid-August. At my consult soon after, the surgeon recommended that I lose 20-30 pounds before surgery (which won't likely be until May as I have to go through the 6-month supervised nutrition visits for insurance) but did not require it. My insurance requires the supervised nutrition visits but does not require weight loss. I have been wondering whether I will be able to sustain this. In the past, it's usually at about 6-9 months that I really struggle to maintain changes to my diet and weight loss. At that point this time, I will be going on the 2-week liver shrinkage plan and then moving to surgery, so I'm hopeful that any weight I lose pre-op will actually remain lost. I lost most of the 22 very quickly, and it is now slow.

Does anyone know -- when you are looking at average excess weight lost, do you calculate from you initial weight or your surgery weight? So if an average loss from RNY is 65% of excess weight, would I use 362 (my starting weight) or XXX (whatever my weight is the day of surgery) to calculate the 65%?

I think it is from your highest weight - here's a guide I found: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-bypass/how-much-can-i-expect-to-lose