Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Chopped steak(hamburger type patty)

I am 5 weeks post op and at work today they had what they called Swiss steak, but looked like a hamburger patty. I ate one fine until the last two bites I had to stop, as I got a very full feeling suddenly and have felt full all night (5 hours later still feel full.) I tried to drink a few sips of Water and it just makes me feel full again. I'm thinking my body is having trouble processing the meat. I really haven't had much trouble eating much of anything. Sometimes it just takes me awhile to eat whatever it is I'm trying to eat. Has anyone else had this issue? And what can I do to not feel like this? Do I need to just drink fluids/shakes until the fullness goes away? Thanks!

How many ounces did you eat?

Are you not still on soft food ? I was on normal food at 5 w but not steak as it is hard. But I couldnt eat a whole patty now at 3 months

How many ounces did you eat?

Are you not still on soft food ? I was on normal food at 5 w but not steak as it is hard. But I couldnt eat a whole patty now at 3 months

Hi, it was only like 2 ounces of meat and was very soft. It wasn't like a regular steak. No way would I have attempted that! It was like a small hamburger patty. I also chewed it up really well before swallowing. It took me about 30 minutes to eat those 2 ounces. And then couldn't even eat the last two bites. I have been drinking my Water tonight, so not feeling so full anymore from the meat.

I am 5 weeks post op and at work today they had what they called Swiss steak, but looked like a hamburger patty. I ate one fine until the last two bites I had to stop, as I got a very full feeling suddenly and have felt full all night (5 hours later still feel full.) I tried to drink a few sips of Water and it just makes me feel full again. I'm thinking my body is having trouble processing the meat. I really haven't had much trouble eating much of anything. Sometimes it just takes me awhile to eat whatever it is I'm trying to eat. Has anyone else had this issue? And what can I do to not feel like this? Do I need to just drink fluids/shakes until the fullness goes away? Thanks!

My Surgeon says that ground beef and beef in general may be hard to tolerate.

I'm only allowed 20 minute's to eat. Don't force it. Maybe you would be done at 1 ounce.

My wife had a similar problem with ground beef for a while, and the surgeon noted that it is not an unusual tolerance issue, and suggested that good quality steak like filet is often better tolerated. He was right - the best Rx we have ever gotten from an MD, and one we still fill often!

I think that part of the problem is that even though ground beef "seems" soft and easy to digest because it is ground (pre-chewed?) it is often poor quality meat when bought commercially, and you never quite know what is in it. I suspect that if you grind up a good quality steak and cook that, then it would probably be better tolerated.

What you felt is very normal...you ate a high-protein meal. It was rigid animal-based Protein, which is known for keeping sleevers full for hours.

This is the very reason our surgeons and dietitians prescribe a protein-first way of eating. Rigid, hard protein keeps us full for hours and makes it difficult to graze on empty-calorie junk.

The longer we're full off protein, the less likely we overeat, and the chances of regain diminish.

That is very true. My surgeon kept saying always eat your Protein first, and at that meal that was all I ate, which was more than enough! I didn't want anything else for the rest of the night. Then I started getting fearful that I may have stretched my pouch, and I got scared. I hope this isn't the case!!

Edited by Mytimenow17