Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did doctor office call to check on you?

One week and a day post surgery. Find it odd that my doctor's office nor the hospital has called to check on me. Isn't that the norm that someone calls to see how you are doing?maybe it's not.

No. I was told to call if I had issues. Dr gives his patients his personal cell if we have concerns.

I've had several surgeries and have never had them call me. This is the first time anyone gave me a personal number.

I got a call from the hospital, but the Dr office did not call, the Dr is independent but works with the hospital. I was told to feel free to call at any time if I had any issues. I was just glad things were progressing well and I was not having any issues.

29 minutes ago, cindyRH said:

Isn't that the norm that someone calls to see how you are doing?

I'm 2.5 years post-op and have never received a welfare check call from the bariatric practice, nor have I seen my surgeon since the day of surgery.

Many bariatric practices conclude that we're all reasonably intelligent adults with the capability to telephone them for any issues. Placing calls to see if we're okay is time-consuming.

My doctor called me about 48 hours after I got my lap band plus had given me his number in case I had any issues and said to call. That was several years ago.

When my lap band was removed in February 2017, my current doctors office called me the following day to check on me.

I appreciate the follow up and think it is very thoughtful of them to do this as I know it can be time consuming. But let's face it, there might be little things going on that we don't think anything about and by asking you a couple questions and giving you an opportunity to tell them how you feel you very well could proactively catch any post op complications before they get worse rather than wait a few days until you are miserable enough for feel justified to call them to ask if XYZ is normal. Better to be proactive rather than just reactive. 🤗

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree that we have the intelligence enough to know if we need to call a dr- I am just use to someone calling.

It is time consuming but lot of medical provides call. My husband just recently had outpatient hamstring surgery. His dr office called the next day to check o him.

when I had both of my children. The hospital called both times.

I got a follow up call and I fully expected it to be honest!

So it does seem to be the norm for someone to call. Not sure why my hospital or dr office have never called. Doesn't seem like good practice.

I would ask... listen guys? i was expecting a follow up call and never got one. What gives?

Anyone that ever called me was not someone who could answer any questions if I had them. They just seemed like administrative folks.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Anyone that ever called me was not someone who could answer any questions if I had them. They just seemed like administrative folks.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Really? Wow. I guess if you had said there was a problem they would have passed that on to the doctor right?

With my lap band my surgeon actually made the follow up call. But it was a high end facility and I paid them a lot of freaking money so maybe that's part of what I paid for.

When I had the lap band removed years later (Feb this year) it was my new doctor and his nurse or PA called me to check on me the next day. I can't really remember which as I was still kind of out of it sleeping off the effects of the anesthesia.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

My docs nurse called 1x a week for 3 weeks and so did nut

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app