Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have real problem with GERD thinking I should get the bypass instead of the sleeve. Anyone here have or had problems with GERD before or after?

I was sleeved 9/25. I had no issues with gerd prior to surgery, but when I tell you it is in full effect. It has nothing to do with what you eat. I get flare ups at random times. The worst is when your sleeping and wake up and your chest and throat are burning and you can barely swallow. I called my doc and they told me to take my prilosec at night and see if that helps. So I guess we will see. Hopefully this doesn't last forever..

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I had GERD pre-surgery, and that was the major reason I went with the bypass. It often (but not always) cures it, while the sleeve often (but not always) makes it worse. i didn't want to take that risk. Mine was completely gone for the first two years after surgery. I do get indigestion occasionally now, but it's much milder than it was pre-surgery. A Tums or two will usually knock it out.

I had gerd prior to bypass and took Omeprazol every day. My surgeon told me to take Omeprazol for 2 months after surgery and then I can stop it. I haven't experienced any issues and looking forward to stopping the Omeprazol on November 7th. That is the last of my pre surgery meds that I am taking. My by pass has cured my diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and has really helped my ED (the ED issue is getting better all the time).

I was advised to get the bypass instead of sleeve because of my GERD. My date isn't till December 5th. Hopefully it'll cured it and give me finally relief. It's actually the only reason I'm going with the bypass.

Sent from my SM-N910V using BariatricPal mobile app

I had GERD pre-surgery and none post Bypass. My surgeon suggested bypass over sleeve if you have GERD because the sleeve usually makes it worse if you have it already. Imm5 months out and very happy with my Bypass.

It's interesting. My Dr recommended rny also due to multiple reasons including gerd, but I was also told that if I had it b4 and took meds for it, I would need to continue taking meds. This seems odd, but in discharge papers I was instructed to resume esomeprozole (Nexium). I did get the same info that the rny is better than sleeve for gerd tho.

I was sleeved August 2016 and the reflux is so bad now that I have it all the time. It can just come at you like a bus and there is no relief. I just had a gastroscopy and numerous other test for stomach PH including being continually X-ray whilst laying down after eating radioactive porridge... GERD suffers worst nightmare.. porridge and laying flat - for 90- mins!! I have had a lot of acid damage done to my oesophagus with limited relief. The drugs barely help me. So off to see the surgeon again Jan 2 and looks like I will have to convert to RNY. I do not want to do this. However the sleeve did nothing for me. Did not lose a Kilo...I had converted from the lapband to sleeve and I think I could eat more once the band was out as it just made me so sick. So here I am again... almost at Step 1. Has anyone converted from band to sleeve then onto bypass? I am interested to know what the weight loss is like? I do want my gerd fixed, but dammit, I want this weight gone too :-0 Any advise is helpful.... I just feel so sorry for my poor stomach :-(

I was sleeved August 2016 and the reflux is so bad now that I have it all the time. It can just come at you like a bus and there is no relief. I just had a gastroscopy and numerous other test for stomach PH including being continually X-ray whilst laying down after eating radioactive porridge... GERD suffers worst nightmare.. porridge and laying flat - for 90- mins!! I have had a lot of acid damage done to my oesophagus with limited relief. The drugs barely help me. So off to see the surgeon again Jan 2 and looks like I will have to convert to RNY. I do not want to do this. However the sleeve did nothing for me. Did not lose a Kilo...I had converted from the lapband to sleeve and I think I could eat more once the band was out as it just made me so sick. So here I am again... almost at Step 1. Has anyone converted from band to sleeve then onto bypass? I am interested to know what the weight loss is like? I do want my gerd fixed, but dammit, I want this weight gone too :-0 Any advise is helpful.... I just feel so sorry for my poor stomach :-(

I was sleeved in 2012 lost 60 pounds total and developed GERD and erosion of the esophagus. I had revision to RNY done Dec 6th and have lost 20 pounds as of today. I was advised that weight loss wouldn't be as much as first surgery but as long as the acid reflux is gone I'm happy. I've been able to tolerate Crystal Light lemonade and before I wasn't...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for replying ..wow.. that is 9kgs in 3 weeks..impressive and your reflux is reduced or gone? I know I have to do it but if I can look forward to success with weight loss too that will make me a lot happier. I would hate to have another unsuccssful weight loss surgery.

Thanks for replying ..wow.. that is 9kgs in 3 weeks..impressive and your reflux is reduced or gone? I know I have to do it but if I can look forward to success with weight loss too that will make me a lot happier. I would hate to have another unsuccssful weight loss surgery.

No problem, the reflux is actually gone. I started on semi solids this week and sometimes get the hiccups when I'm too full but other than that, everything is fine. Only thing is that I have to remember to eat and drink because I don't have an appetite and feels like I'm getting dehydrated at times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using BariatricPal mobile app

I chose bypass for my GERD and also a hernia repair which was part of the problem my GERD made me cough all day long. I am now symptom free. It’s great! I highly recommend the bypass.

GERD was so bad I tried to get fundoplication surgery for it but my esophagus was weakened and it would not be able to push food through. I also had Barrettes esophagus. My surgeon suggested a bypass to get the acid off my esophagus and it would help me loose some weight too. I had it done on 12/28. So far it is ok. Can’t wait to see what happens after this purée phase.