Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Hunger.....it's real!!!

Uhh...nothing about this process is 'that simple'. That's quite unfair and insensitive of u to say. People are complex and rarely are their issues 'black and white'. I don't think it's ever easy to 'take control of ur mind and the thoughts in it', when ur dealing with an addiction. And I'm going to venture a guess that most people on these message boards, including u, are dealing with/have dealt with an addiction to food, in one way or another, or we wouldn't be on here talking about and having WLS.

A little more empathy and/or words of encouragement out of u would've been nice, instead of shame, judgement, and ego. Besides, we come here for the community of it all, as most of already have people in our lives who think everything dealing with weightloss is 'easy if u just put ur mind to it'. [emoji20]

Not to mention her other posts are about her surgery and how she feels. Someone who is obviously searching for strangers to give her words of encouragement, and qualified for surgery should not be judging those who, months after her, are in the same boat. The lack of empathy is sad.

@MBird well we can see where your issues lie.....obv u are the one who needs to check into therapy...yes head hunger is real and yes I have been taking responsibility hence me joining this group...I want the feedback of others and their experience......However you are just the same ppl that have obv been putting you down due to your weight issues now Coming here to do the exact same...but thats ok I'll be putting up before and after pics and we'll as what else you have to say :lol::1334_v_tone5::450_trophy::607_camera:

Head hunger is real. I don't notice I am hungry when I am busy. But when work is slow or even when we have a slow weekend it can get bad. I usually just go drink some Water. Either that or I get up and start doing something. I am over 2 and a half years out and it is still there.

Holy crap judgmental much? I was never an overeater and have had on and off bad head hunger. I gained weight because of various psych meds and autoimmune disease. Sounds like you need to get your judgmental ass into therapy more than the rest of us.

My reply was not judgmental - it was honest.

Perhaps was a tad too forward but it’s been my experience that if it grates on the nerves of people, it’s the truth that’s hitting home. This subject is spoken of so often, yet rarely does someone suggest a pragmatic approach -

Uhh...nothing about this process is 'that simple'. That's quite unfair and insensitive of u to say. People are complex and rarely are their issues 'black and white'. I don't think it's ever easy to 'take control of ur mind and the thoughts in it', when ur dealing with an addiction. And I'm going to venture a guess that most people on these message boards, including u, are dealing with/have dealt with an addiction to food, in one way or another, or we wouldn't be on here talking about and having WLS.

A little more empathy and/or words of encouragement out of u would've been nice, instead of shame, judgement, and ego. Besides, we come here for the community of it all, as most of already have people in our lives who think everything dealing with weightloss is 'easy if u just put ur mind to it'. [emoji20]

I’m a very candid person. It’s been my experience in these forums that people cannot handle the truth regardless how nice one puts it.

I don’t have head hunger issues. I eat when hungry, but did have some medical conditions due to pyloric stenosis.

Oye! The drama is hilarious and... sad. Maybe instead of worrying and trying to correct honesty that is received poorly, one could actually read my comment and “get it” - it’s not my job to hold anyone’s hand but to be honest. A lot is left unknown online with regard to ones intent and even, meaning which leads to a lot of incorrect assumption. I rather be honest and if one person is helped by it, then I’ve done my job.

Not to mention her other posts are about her surgery and how she feels. Someone who is obviously searching for strangers to give her words of encouragement, and qualified for surgery should not be judging those who, months after her, are in the same boat. The lack of empathy is sad.

Since you’re so empowered and Enlightened about me personally, why don’t you feel free to cut and pasted all my posts and site the passages where I need validation?

Personally I think you’re a silly person for making up lies in an effort to take pot shots at someone who obviously struck a sensitive cord.

Most people want honest Info, guidance and sound advice based on experience. I’m here for them [emoji1589]

[mention=314583]MBird[/mention] well we can see where your issues lie.....obv u are the one who needs to check into therapy...yes head hunger is real and yes I have been taking responsibility hence me joining this group...I want the feedback of others and their experience......However you are just the same ppl that have obv been putting you down due to your weight issues now Coming here to do the exact same...but thats ok I'll be putting up before and after pics and we'll as what else you have to say :lol::1334_v_tone5::450_trophy::607_camera:

Regarding supportive people not so much on my way to surgery, a lot was happening outside of it. I’ve a lot of support now.

I’m good with being candid and blunt. This issue is always spoken about but rarely anyone will call it was it is.

It’s great you joined this group but it’s hard to really get to the root of an issue with people struggling with the same issue and afraid to be honest about it.

Wishing you well.

Thank you, I’ll give it a try. My doctor requires a PPI for 90 days so once that is up I’ll try apple cider vinegar. How is the taste?

tastes like death lol

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Head hunger leads me to look in the fridge at least daily. Luckily for me, I have some very low calorie Snacks to chomp on when it happens. Laughing Cow cheese with raw celery, broccoli or carrots normally gets me through and normally gives me some good nourishment at the same time.
I don't look in the pantry, because that is where the Processed food Monster lives. LOL

Laughing cow is a great snack! I love it and it is a great satisfier. Definitely a great go to!

SW:350 (11/2015)
BSW:260 (10/17/17)
CW:250 (officially down by 100 lbs. since the start of my journey!)
GW:175

Ever hear if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont speak. Do you give an alcoholic another drink? You you give a drug user more drugs? No! for us we dont have a choice but to eat food. I have never had a food addiction. I am an emotional eater and I am in counseling AND see a psych dr. Just because people have head hunger doesnt mean they have an addiction to food. Everyone has different triggers. And the line about needing therapy or whatever, maybe you should take a class on tact and respect. We are here to help each other up and not kick them when they are down.

Just to but my two cents in about food addiction. Before I had my surgery, I asked my doctor if I was addicted to food. He said NO.....It’s the volume in which is consumed. That’s the purpose of surgery. Cutting the stomach down to the size of a 🤛, so the volume of food is decreased. You can be addicted to food, but more healthier choices.

I have found that I still struggle not to eat when I'm bored as that's was a bad habit of mine. I am fine all day at work then I get the last hour and I just want to sit at my desk and eat. So annoying.

Ever hear if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont speak. Do you give an alcoholic another drink? You you give a drug user more drugs? No! for us we dont have a choice but to eat food. I have never had a food addiction. I am an emotional eater and I am in counseling AND see a psych dr. Just because people have head hunger doesnt mean they have an addiction to food. Everyone has different triggers. And the line about needing therapy or whatever, maybe you should take a class on tact and respect. We are here to help each other up and not kick them when they are down.

To me pointing out that most people have food addictions, for a variety of reasons ( either boredom, sexual childhood abuse, abuse period, emotional abuse) and suggesting they try out AO or get therapy is not unreasonable.

Honestly, most surgical centers require us to do therapy before surgery anyway.

You’re right though, not everybody that has it is addicted. What the real issue is is that people are used to eating a certain way and can no longer engage in eating that way anymore. I understand and get that.

Hmmm, your comment is a little contradictory. To me. Maybe I’m misunderstanding but you say you have to eat because you have to. Sure humans need to eat. But you are an emotional eater? Most people I know who attended OA meetings were in therapy and are emotional eaters. Most people who shoot up, drink, are addicted to any substance are emotional people or fulfilling some emotional need.

I’m just saying that I personally think if someone is really struggling with head hunger and having issues with it, asking how to get through the rough patch seems rational, rather than coming on a thread and describing the foods they cannot stop focusing on. We are ALL here to get better whether it’s addiction, health reasons, or something else. I’m here to be honest.

If that isn’t her issue, great! And if it’s not yours, great! But my hard lining and being candid, it’s going to resonate with someone and help them. I’m here for them.

As for tact, even if I had an off day and posted rudely without thinking, I certainly wasn’t shown any by anyone. So?

I agree. If one hasn’t much nice to say, move on. But this head hunger crap is really old. If it’s about fasting before surgery I get THAT. Saying I can’t wait until I eat solids again after surgery, I get it. But sounding like you are out of control and falling apart because your focused on a cheeseburger or fattening plate of lasagna!?

Now, to me that says someone isn’t prepared or okay.

I have found that I still struggle not to eat when I'm bored as that's was a bad habit of mine. I am fine all day at work then I get the last hour and I just want to sit at my desk and eat. So annoying.

I hear you completely. Still haven’t quite figured out how to deal with it other then to counter-argue with myself through it!

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, njgal said:

I hear you completely. Still haven’t quite figured out how to deal with it other then to counter-argue with myself through it!

I found that I have to proactively find something else to do when I start to feel that way. Even if it means just getting up and walking around my office or while I'm at home finding a task to complete until I get my mind off of it. If I take my mind off of it and I'm still hungry then I know its legitimate hunger and I will have a healthy snack.