Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any tips for recovery?

I've got 10/5 surgery, and only concern is nausea afterwards. I have had a lot of surgery, and usually an issue.

Any tips? Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have used to get horribly nauseous, and would be violently ill after anesthesia.

I had to have surgery last December, and I talked with the anesthesiologist about it before the surgery. They used a patch behind my ear (and may have done something a little different with the medications used). However, the end result was no nausea!

I was at the same hospital, but different anesthesiologist and again, we talked about the nausea - they put the patch on - and I was never ill. On day 1 and day 2 after surgery, I briefly felt nauseous, but I never got ill or threw up.

In my case I got anti-nausea medication while in the hospital, I took one dose at home on day 2 post-op, but that was it. I did not need any more of the medication.

I think I felt nausea after the sleeve procedure because of the procedure. I don't think it was a reaction to the anesthesia.

I just stayed still. I think the anti-nausea pill is one that you melt under your tongue.

Others have different experiences, and I was quite worried about nausea, but it did not happen.

Thank you! My dr routinely does the patch, which I've never had before. Also Zofran & another IV antinausea med. So tickled to hear patch is effective! Thank yoy

I used the scopolamine patch too, it was great!

Age 67, no nausea, my husband and I and no pain. We expected to feel like we had surgery. Neither of us had issues or even felt we had surgery. Four years ago. Like walking on eggshells til you realize it was a piece of cake. 8 hours in the hospital and home!

I've always had a terrible time with nausea after being put to sleep. My doctor gave me a prescription for Emend, but my insurance wouldn't cover it and it was close to $200, so the doctor told me not to buy it and they'd give it to me when I checked in for surgery....which they did. I didn't have any nausea after or surgery (surgery date Aug 21, 2017) or anytime during recovery.

I've got 10/5 surgery, and only concern is nausea afterwards. I have had a lot of surgery, and usually an issue.
Any tips? Thanks
Sent from my XT1575 using BariatricPal mobile app

Ask for the 72 hour patch they put behind your ear. It worked wonders for me

I have used to get horribly nauseous, and would be violently ill after anesthesia.
I had to have surgery last December, and I talked with the anesthesiologist about it before the surgery. They used a patch behind my ear (and may have done something a little different with the medications used). However, the end result was no nausea!
I was at the same hospital, but different anesthesiologist and again, we talked about the nausea - they put the patch on - and I was never ill. On day 1 and day 2 after surgery, I briefly felt nauseous, but I never got ill or threw up.
In my case I got anti-nausea medication while in the hospital, I took one dose at home on day 2 post-op, but that was it. I did not need any more of the medication.
I think I felt nausea after the sleeve procedure because of the procedure. I don't think it was a reaction to the anesthesia.
I just stayed still. I think the anti-nausea pill is one that you melt under your tongue.
Others have different experiences, and I was quite worried about nausea, but it did not happen.

Was it Zofran? I got nauseous after my patch wore off and used Zofran to avoid vomiting with great success.

Age 67, no nausea, my husband and I and no pain. We expected to feel like we had surgery. Neither of us had issues or even felt we had surgery. Four years ago. Like walking on eggshells til you realize it was a piece of cake. 8 hours in the hospital and home!

This is so refreshing to hear. I'm having surgery on Wednesday and have to stay overnight in the hospital, but I'm fine with that. I had the lap band done, zero pain, had it removed, zero pain but sore and got an abscess, which was worse than the surgery times 10! My surgeon said the sleeve would be a piece of cake compared to my 3 hour lap band removal because my stomach was adhered to my organs via scar tissue. Not fun!

The Fear is real. After the sleeve it was like YIkes, what will happen. Lol. Nothing happened. The little bandaid places on my belly all but disappeared. I would say eating and chewing SLOW is the hardest part of this process.