Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date: October 17...Is 1 day in the hospital enough?

I ended up staying 3 nights as I had such reaction to the morphine 24 hours after the op. So they switched me to paracetamol which I can handle no nausea etc., and I got out after 3 nights. HOWEVER it was so nice at home in comparison....I was pretty desperate to go home. And as I was self-funding, I paid an extra £1025 for the 3rd night dammit! This stay was unusual, 1 really should be fine.

48 minutes ago, SlieveMishAmy said:

I ended up staying 3 nights as I had such reaction to the morphine 24 hours after the op. So they switched me to paracetamol which I can handle no nausea etc., and I got out after 3 nights. HOWEVER it was so nice at home in comparison....I was pretty desperate to go home. And as I was self-funding, I paid an extra £1025 for the 3rd night dammit! This stay was unusual, 1 really should be fine.

icky! Drug reactions can be nasty at times. I vomited all over the place with the first shot of morphine in the ER for my gall bladder. It killed the terrible pain but I got so dizzy and sweaty and up it all came. Lightweight !

Surgery is Tuesday and my son can pick me up but he has to work the next day. He and his brother will be back on Thursday/Friday so it looks like Im on my own for a day or so....

Would be good to ask someone to be there. I found it a real comfort just to know someone was in the house @MissT_SR also mention your morohine thing. Surgeon told me to mention in future that I don't do well on opiates - there are alternatives. Good Luck!!

Typo there @MissT_SR morphine thing....I meant to say

23 hours ago, Cateyez001 said:

They said they try not to keep people long because you are more prone to getting staff infection staying in the hospital.

The staff can be tricky but they wear masks and gloves. I worry more about hospital-borne staph infections. Staphylococcus aureus is the hospital nightmare!

I was booked for 2, but they sent me home a day early because I was up moving around, and didn't have problems with drinking liquid. I was nervous, but ended up being fine.

My doctor does early admit, late discharge. So one night. His staff swears that it's not painful, except gas and slight wound pain. And he does scopalamine patch to control nausea, which lasts 48 hours. You will be okay! And the infection thing is correct. This time of year you also will start getting flu & pneumonia people.

A 45 min surgery, planned, is not as weird as your surprise gallbladder!

My surgery was scheduled for 6:30 am and was home and in my bed by 1:00 pm the same day (after a 2 hour drive home). Surgery was 1 hour long, they wake you up, you walk around a few times and they send you home. Never hurt and no problems.

I got to choose if I wanted one or two nights (apparently most people choose 2). After my first night I really wanted to leave and I was totally fine. They only used Tylenol 3 for pain over that one night and sent me home with no painkillers. It was totally fine. It's really remarkable how little pain there is after this.

I had VSG on 9/18 and only stayed overnight. I couldn't wait to get out because I'm afraid of catching something in the hospital. And because my roommate never stopped talking. She's probably still talking to me and I left a week ago! Once home I sat in a recliner most of the times me except I slept in bed at night.

On 9/21/2017 at 4:48 PM, MissT_SR said:

Crazy, that happened so fast, I got approved in 3 days and scheduled for the following month. I was just praying for a date before December 31st so my OOP didn't start all over again. It doesn't seem real and I feel like I forgot everything I've been studying about the last six months and have a gazillion questions again LOL

I think I was authorized for 1 day in the hospital. Seriously, is that possible, one day? I go in at 5am for check in, paperwork and surgery. Then recovery, an overnight and then they ship me out? I had my gall bladder out last November and was in for three days.

Is it really that fast and in and out? It kind of freaks me out that most of my stomach is going to get cut out but they're sending me off on my drugged up merry way so soon ??!!

I was walking laps around my hospital floor the same night as my surgery. For me, 1 day was enough - and I had a JP drain....

Crazy, that happened so fast, I got approved in 3 days and scheduled for the following month. I was just praying for a date before December 31st so my OOP didn't start all over again. It doesn't seem real and I feel like I forgot everything I've been studying about the last six months and have a gazillion questions again LOL
I think I was authorized for 1 day in the hospital. Seriously, is that possible, one day? I go in at 5am for check in, paperwork and surgery. Then recovery, an overnight and then they ship me out? I had my gall bladder out last November and was in for three days.
Is it really that fast and in and out? It kind of freaks me out that most of my stomach is going to get cut out but they're sending me off on my drugged up merry way so soon ??!!

It's possible. I was only in overnight. I was dying to go home and get out of there. The recovery for most people really isn't as bad as you think. Just remember to walk off the gas pain.

I had my op at 8 pm, they got me up walking at 2am, 4am and 6am. I got myself up walking after that and they sent me home at 11am. I was happy to go Home, but would have stayed longer as I was getting the best of treatment and was enjoying the rest.

My plan is to hang at the hospital for as long as they will have me. I am in no rush to go home.

The care and support is always welcome.

I'm hoping for just one day with my revision! If you have any issues at all: slight fever, not drinking enough, numbers are off, etc, the doctor can keep you for as long as he sees fit.