Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date: October 17...Is 1 day in the hospital enough?

Crazy, that happened so fast, I got approved in 3 days and scheduled for the following month. I was just praying for a date before December 31st so my OOP didn't start all over again. It doesn't seem real and I feel like I forgot everything I've been studying about the last six months and have a gazillion questions again LOL

I think I was authorized for 1 day in the hospital. Seriously, is that possible, one day? I go in at 5am for check in, paperwork and surgery. Then recovery, an overnight and then they ship me out? I had my gall bladder out last November and was in for three days.

Is it really that fast and in and out? It kind of freaks me out that most of my stomach is going to get cut out but they're sending me off on my drugged up merry way so soon ??!!

I'm scheduled the same day as you with an overnight stay as well. A friend just had WLS recently with an overnight and said it was no problem.

One day is definitely enough in my opinion. I had surgery at 6pm and was up showered, dressed, on minimal pain meds and drinking the following morning (only30 mls an hr but no problem).

I'm scheduled the same day as you with an overnight stay as well. A friend just had WLS recently with an overnight and said it was no problem.

Same day! Congrats and woohoo to us [emoji4]

One day is enough.....I thought the same way.

It doesn't seem like enough time but I guess it's all we need [emoji12]

One day is definitely enough in my opinion. I had surgery at 6pm and was up showered, dressed, on minimal pain meds and drinking the following morning (only30 mls an hr but no problem).

Wow, not even 24 hours, way to go!! I see lots of people are doing just fine with a one day visit- fine with me, home sweet home and my favorite recliner all the sooner!!! ...(I didn't think it could be done but docs these days are pretty amazing!!)

I had band to SIPS DS revision surgery on 8.8.17 and went home the same day. No overnight stay. You will be ok with one day [emoji4][emoji1360]

I did ask my surgeon why no hospital stay and his response was that we get more rest and heal faster at home and have a less risk of infection.

Your mileage may vary, but the only pain I had was the first ten minutes or so after waking up. The rest of the time I was fine in the hospital and the worst part was getting woken up every hour or two all night. Much happier at home the next day. The first couple of weeks after the surgery aren't a lot of fun, but I've reached the point where my energy is coming back and my biggest issues are getting enough Protein and Water in. But feeling pretty well overall.

HI, IKR??

One day is all I got too, then I was mostly asleep for 4-5 days at home. I really did need help for the first day or two, then I could fend for myself. Stock up on Water and easy to grab stuff that you can reach easily if you don't have a helper.

It is exciting to have your date!!

Luck:286_four_leaf_clover:

17 hours ago, MissT_SR said:

Crazy, that happened so fast, I got approved in 3 days and scheduled for the following month. I was just praying for a date before December 31st so my OOP didn't start all over again. It doesn't seem real and I feel like I forgot everything I've been studying about the last six months and have a gazillion questions again LOL

I think I was authorized for 1 day in the hospital. Seriously, is that possible, one day? I go in at 5am for check in, paperwork and surgery. Then recovery, an overnight and then they ship me out? I had my gall bladder out last November and was in for three days.

Is it really that fast and in and out? It kind of freaks me out that most of my stomach is going to get cut out but they're sending me off on my drugged up merry way so soon ??!!

You should be fine, my Dr sends all of his patients home within a few hours after surgery. I was scheduled for surgery at 12pm, had to be at the hospital at 10am, by 11 I was in the back and getting ready for surgery. Not sure when I came out but I was in PACU for a bit and not long after I woke up I was going down for my swallow test. By 530pm on the same day I was being taken to the car in a wheelchair. My surgeon says that he sends everyone home the first day because he says that patients do better at home than they do in the hospital. In the hospital you have to wait for a nurse to walk around due to you being a high fall risk from anesthesia. They want you up and walking as much as possible as soon as possible after surgery. They also say that you are much more comfortable at home and can rest more and better vs being in a hospital. I had heard horror stories about people not being able to drink until the next day post surgery, I was eating ice chips within 2 hours post surgery. I am honestly glad for a variety of reasons that I got to come home sooner than later! To be able to sleep in you're own bed or recliner if you are a side sleeper like I am is wonderful! To use your own shower and bathroom! Trust me you will be fine! There is no need to be nervous!!

HI, IKR??
One day is all I got too, then I was mostly asleep for 4-5 days at home. I really did need help for the first day or two, then I could fend for myself. Stock up on Water and easy to grab stuff that you can reach easily if you don't have a helper.
It is exciting to have your date!!
Luck:286_four_leaf_clover:

I'm prepping things at home and scanning the web for best broth recipes!!! Stocking up all thing Phase One LOL