Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose your goal weight?

Just wondering how everyone chose their goal weight. For now mine is 197, because that is the number that makes me "overweight" instead of "obese" on the BMI scale. However, I hope to lose more than that. When I was younger I typically weighed around 165, which back then was a size 11/12 on me. Not sure if I dare make a goal smaller than that, it doesn't feel like it can become a reality. But then I haven't been under 200 in 18 years, and I see that number getting closer and closer, so I remain hopeful!

I personally chose between 115-125 because my major goal is to become an egg donor once i hit my goal weight, and because i'm so short that would be a normal bmi for me.

Don't stress over the goal weight thing, keep going until YOU feel good. You're doing great already. I say that because i had a friend who really wanted to be a specific size and when she hit that size she felt worse about her self. She gained an extra 10 pounds and was completely happy. So in other words find your happy weight which isn't always a set number.

The doctor didnt set a goal weight for me he just told me the amount of weight he is expecting me to lose.

Hi all, I have Fibro and 7 years ago I felt the best I have in a looong time with that horrid disease. My weight was about 100 pounds below where I am now even though that BMI is still a little bit high. I don't care about the BMI, I don't care about the facts of being called obese on my medical file. What I will care about is feeling good with my Fibro and being able to Live, Love and Enjoy my 9 grandkids and family.

I told the doctor 120 and he said that was realistic. It is at the very top of what my BMI should be to be out of the over weight range. I do know that my daughter is my height and she is around 100 pounds as was I when I was younger and neither of us looked under weight. Tiny, but not too skinny.

But the best I can hope for is getting to a weight that reduces my medical conditions such as my diabetes, especially my blood pressure (I am a walking stroke), sleep apnea, non-alcoholic fatty liver and fingers crossed my feet and back will hurt a lot less!! Whatever THAT weight is - THAT is where I want to be.

This is a great discussion thread. Are you setting your goals at starting weight, or surgery weight? I have lost 33lbs since starting in April, my surgery date is 11/7. I am terrified of setting a goal that seems so out of reach that im setting myself up for failure, or not challenging enough to keep me motivated.

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

14 hours ago, allie2 said:

This is a great discussion thread. Are you setting your goals at starting weight, or surgery weight? I have lost 33lbs since starting in April, my surgery date is 11/7. I am terrified of setting a goal that seems so out of reach that im setting myself up for failure, or not challenging enough to keep me motivated.

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

The starting weight is usually your highest weight within a year before surgery. Many of us first start looking at surgery when we are the highest weights of our lives. Sometimes we may have been heavier years ago, but lost and maintained for a while.

Since the surgery is changing our setpoints, it makes sense to use the preop setpoint to help gauge the new postop one. Whatever weight you were maintaining before any preop diet... that is what you use.

Postop set point is estimated to be 65% of excess weight loss for sleeve and 70% for bypass. Excess weight is calculated from your BMI at about 24.9.

So, for example, my highest weight preop was 305lbs. My 24.9 BMI weight is 155lbs, for a difference of 150lbs. 65% of 150 is 97.5lbs. So... 305 - 97.5 = 207.5lbs.

207.5 lbs is an average weight loss (for my stats) due to the surgery. It's a good starting goal. If/when I make that, then I can create a new goal.

I'm just shy of 7 months out, and am only 2lbs from this first goal. So, feeling good! Next goal, onederland!

I have revised my goal as I went on. I started with the conservative goal WLS calculators suggested for me based on my highest weight and surgery, which was 160 lbs, then when I hit that, revised to 150 lbs which is the smallest I remember being since puberty, then when I hit that I went to 140 lbs which puts me at a "healthy" BMI, now at nearly 7 months out I've beaten THAT goal, so I'm going with 135, which sits me safely within the healthy BMI range and gives me room for a little regain as can often happen after the honeymoon phase.

One thing I DIDN'T do was set a timeline for any of my goals, ie be 160lbs by 4 months out or at my goal weight by 8 months out. So many of the people that do that wind up losing slower than they want and then self-sabotaging. The pace of weight loss is so unpredictable and inconsistent I think putting a deadline on it is setting yourself up for disappointment and failure IMO. As long as I'm following the plan and living a healthy active lifestyle, I'm letting my weight come off at whatever pace it likes. My attitude seems to have worked because I'm losing very steadily! :)

I just guessed what I should be at. Now that I think about it, my doctor asked what my goal weight was, and never gave me feedback on it.

1 minute ago, TBGoat said:

I just guessed what I should be at. Now that I think about it, my doctor asked what my goal weight was, and never gave me feedback on it.

Statistically, people with your starting weight end up around 250lbs. Not to say you won't lose more.. but at least it gives you an idea of what's average. There are a bunch of people on this board that have blown their averages out of the water... so it can be done!

On 9/13/2017 at 11:59 PM, ChaosUnlimited said:

how everyone chose their goal weight

@ChaosUnlimited

"a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away"

I weighed 155 - i looked perfect!!:D

as i was approaching that #, i

figured i could try and lose more weight -

kept going down, down and down

reached my GOAL weight of 130 lbs!!

now i look even more perfect! LOL

congrats to me!!!

kathy

I really struggle with this if I put too much thought into it. Ideally, I should say 155 so that I'll be within the normal range for bmi, but I'm currently 165 and a size 8. I was able to get down to 150 one other time in my life, and at that time I was a size 8 at 155, size 6 at 150 and was beginning to look to boney, I looked and felt better as a size 8. So this time around I'm slightly heavier in the size 8s and suspect I'll be a size 6 once I get into the 150s.

I guess I'll see when I get there. I want to be in the 'normal' bmi range but I do not want to look too thin or boney.

Just curious for others (if you know), what size is the top of your bmi range? When I was heavier, I assumed it would be a 10 - that was always my ideal and "average weight" in my mind.

24 minutes ago, DisneyMom2El said:

I really struggle with this if I put too much thought into it. Ideally, I should say 155 so that I'll be within the normal range for bmi, but I'm currently 165 and a size 8. I was able to get down to 150 one other time in my life, and at that time I was a size 8 at 155, size 6 at 150 and was beginning to look to boney, I looked and felt better as a size 8. So this time around I'm slightly heavier in the size 8s and suspect I'll be a size 6 once I get into the 150s.

I guess I'll see when I get there. I want to be in the 'normal' bmi range but I do not want to look too thin or boney.

Just curious for others (if you know), what size is the top of your bmi range? When I was heavier, I assumed it would be a 10 - that was always my ideal and "average weight" in my mind.

the top of my normal BMI range is 154. I got down as low as 138 but now hover around 142-144. I'm still a 10 or a 12 (depending on manufacturer), but I have a pretty large frame. I'm pretty boney, too - all my ribs show. I'm always surprised when I hear about other women my weight who wear smaller sizes, but again, I think it depends on frame size.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:59 PM, ChaosUnlimited said:

Just wondering how everyone chose their goal weight. For now mine is 197, because that is the number that makes me "overweight" instead of "obese" on the BMI scale. However, I hope to lose more than that. When I was younger I typically weighed around 165, which back then was a size 11/12 on me. Not sure if I dare make a goal smaller than that, it doesn't feel like it can become a reality. But then I haven't been under 200 in 18 years, and I see that number getting closer and closer, so I remain hopeful!

My goal weight is higher than what my surgeon set for me and he is fine with that. I don't use those unrealistic metrics ie start at 100lbs and add 10lbs for every inch tall you are over 5'. My goal weight is realistic, and a weight I felt comfortable at 10 years ago. Anything past that is bonus!

I have set an intermediate goal...250 lbs. I need to get under 250, to have knee surgery (which I'm hoping I won't need when I get there)....but that's the maximum my orthopedist said he could do the surgery....I figure when I get there, I may decide to set another goal.