Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHy am I so scared of a bypass?

I had the lapband in 2009. It slipped in 2013 and had a sleeve revison at the same time as removal. Since then, I've had raging reflux. My GI dr has tried all meds and Im taking the strongest dose of the strongest PPI out there. Shes now recommending surgery. There's the Nissen Fundoplication and revision to bypass. I had an upper gi this am and the radiologist said he wasn't sure I had enuf stomach to do fundo (they wrap ur stomach around the esophagus). SO I have an appt with the bariatric surgeon to discuss the RNY.

I'm terrified of the bypass. I weigh 150 lbs now. Goal is 140. I feel stupid and even embarrased to say that I've had all 3 wls's. I feel that it's drastic. I can't imagine my life without the occasional ice cream cone, IM scared something will go wrong in the future, I fear viatmin deficiencies (already have to do a B12 shot monthly), I fear that I wont be able to stop losing weight (dont we al dream of that day?). All of this becuz of reflux? Alot of people use reflux as a way of describing heartburn. Not the same. I can handle heartburn - chew some Gavascon and be on my way (like I do about a dozen times a day). Reflux is a burning, choking, feel like ur going to have a heart attack at any moment feeling. When I wake up with reflux in the middle of the nite, I will cough up stomach acid for an hour. I have to sit on the side of the bed (and I sleep in an adjustable bed).

Has anyone had all 3 surgeries? Maybe I shoulda had the bypass in the beginning. How bout sleeve to bypass revision? Anyone scared who is having a great life after bypass?

Marci

I had my Lapband revision to gastric bypass, with a hiatal hernia repair, all in one surgery on July 5 this year. I am 2 months out and feel SO much better. Life was miserable with the Lapband. I also had GERD and have not had one day of it with my surgery. I originally wanted to convert to the sleeve but my surgeon said it would make the GERD worse.

Don't be afraid.

Oops, pressed send by accident!

Don't be afraid. I feel so much better and The surgery wasn't bad. I was off pain meds the day I got home. Getting rid of that Lapband that did so many complications was the best thing ever to do and I no longer live in pain or suffer with GERD. Best of luck to you!

I agree. Don't be afraid. I had my surgery on January 4th if this year. I'm only 4/8 and I weighed 213. I now weigh 115 and I feel better than I ever have. I did not have any problems with dehydration like I feared. My only problem is I'm not consuming the Protein I am supposed to and I have lost some hair. Thank God I had a head full and was able to stand some Hair loss though. I eat what I want, when I want. It's a matter of stop eating when you are full. It takes very little for me and I'm beyond full. Half of a sandwich and im stuffed. I haven't felt this great about myself in a long time. I don't think you would go wrong but I do have one concern. I don't think I would go through all of this just to loose 10 more lbs. I would think very hard about it if I were you.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery over 4 years ago. I did this primarily for many health issues that were creeping up on me including high blood pressure, diabetes, GERD and sleep apnea. These conditions went into remission within a few weeks after surgery. One of the reasons why I choose RNY was because I had severe acid reflux.

One of the individuals in our bariatric surgery support group meeting had the band but after several years, the band started to erode into his stomach and it became a life threatening condition. So he had it removed and replaced with gastric bypass. He was pleased with he results. The only thing in his case was that the band had created a lot of scar tissue and when they revised him to RNY his pouch was a little smaller than most. Therefore he adjusted by having smaller meals but increased the number of meals to compensate.

As far as taking Vitamins for the rest of my life, that was a concern prior to surgery. But I am off all 4 prescription meds that I was taking prior to surgery. The cost of all my vitamins is cheaper than all my prescription meds. The only inconvenience is the time spacing.

I tried B12 shots for a few months but I had my wife administer them to me in the arm. I noticed that she turned her head away just before she put the needle in my arm. She is afraid of blood. Therefore I stopped doing this and went with sublingual B12 daily. These tablets actually taste good and are enjoyable to take.

11 hours ago, marfar7 said:

I'm terrified of the bypass. I weigh 150 lbs now. Goal is 140. I feel stupid and even embarrased to say that I've had all 3 wls's. I feel that it's drastic. I can't imagine my life without the occasional ice cream cone, IM scared something will go wrong in the future, I fear viatmin deficiencies (already have to do a B12 shot monthly), I fear that I wont be able to stop losing weight. Reflux is a burning, choking, feel like ur going to have a heart attack at any moment feeling. When I wake up with reflux in the middle of the nite, I will cough up stomach acid for an hour. I have to sit on the side of the bed (and I sleep in an adjustable bed).

Has anyone had all 3 surgeries? Maybe I shoulda had the bypass in the beginning. How bout sleeve to bypass revision? Anyone scared who is having a great life after bypass?

to answer your question, CLEARLY you should have had RNY from the beginning. that question has answered itself! the LapBand has been proven so ineffective that it's barely done anymore. and I predict that in 5 years, doctors won't touch the sleeve either because SO many patients (like you) suffer debilitating GERD.

let me try to address the fears you listed one by one:

1. i'm afraid i'll never have an ice cream cone again - in my opinion, if the occasional ice cream cone holds that much power over you, you have other food addiction problems you need to address. first of all, dumping is rare in RNY patients. usually around 25% experience it ever. and a lot people who experience it LIKE it because it keeps them off the sweets and avoids regain (something that sounds like it might benefit you too). i have never experienced dumping. and i have no desire whatsoever to eat ice cream. zero. last night there was an interesting dessert placed in front of me at a restaurant. i had a bite purely out of curiosity, enjoyed it, and didn't need/want anymore. best of all worlds if you ask me.

2. i'm afraid of Vitamin deficiencies - again, this does not happen to everyone. it doesn't even happen to the majority of people who don't take the prescribed vitamins!!! your doctor will definitely tell you to take a Multivitamin for the rest of your life as INSURANCE that it will never happen. but - and this is important - that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen if you don't take Vitamins. it's still rare. but it is a small risk. so, take a damn vitamin! it's not that bloody hard! it boggles my mind that people who have been heavy their entire lives and suffered thru all that entails can then turn around and whine about having to take a pill everyday. jesus...

3. i fear i won't be a blessing to stop losing weight. - please tell me of any instance, ever... on this website or elsewhere, that someone has gotten RNY and wasted away to anorexia-like emaciation. IT. DOESN'T. HAPPEN. yes you will lose more than the sleeve and a lot more than the lapland. but your weight loss will stop at a healthy level. because your body will tell you (and allow you) to eat more when you reach that level.

in less than two months after my bypass surgery, the thing that i marveled at most was how NORMAL i feel. like... the surgery never even happened. i eat the same whole-food, delicious, paleo-style diet i ate before my surgery. can tolerate virtually any food (even beef and salad). i just eat a little less. and I'm rarely hungry and have great energy. no nausea. no throwing up. no GERD. no dumping.

please take this website for what it is... a place for people to come and complain and make things into a lot bigger deal than they are. the chances are very high that you will turn out just like me and MOST patients of RNY. just fine. BETTER than fine. amazing actually. i mean, life can't get any worse than what you're going thru, right? so you have to look forward to more weight loss and the complete remission/curing of your GERD problems. what is there to be afraid of? i'd be running towards the hospital right now if i were you!

Edited by JohnnyCakes

@JohnnyCakes She currently weighs 154lbs and is looking at having an RNY. So she really doesn't have to worry about losing too much weight in the first 3 months following surgery--as she heals?

I had the lapband in 2009. It slipped in 2013 and had a sleeve revison at the same time as removal. Since then, I've had raging reflux. My GI dr has tried all meds and Im taking the strongest dose of the strongest PPI out there. Shes now recommending surgery. There's the Nissen Fundoplication and revision to bypass. I had an upper gi this am and the radiologist said he wasn't sure I had enuf stomach to do fundo (they wrap ur stomach around the esophagus). SO I have an appt with the bariatric surgeon to discuss the RNY.

I'm terrified of the bypass. I weigh 150 lbs now. Goal is 140. I feel stupid and even embarrased to say that I've had all 3 wls's. I feel that it's drastic. I can't imagine my life without the occasional ice cream cone, IM scared something will go wrong in the future, I fear viatmin deficiencies (already have to do a B12 shot monthly), I fear that I wont be able to stop losing weight (dont we al dream of that day?). All of this becuz of reflux? Alot of people use reflux as a way of describing heartburn. Not the same. I can handle heartburn - chew some Gavascon and be on my way (like I do about a dozen times a day). Reflux is a burning, choking, feel like ur going to have a heart attack at any moment feeling. When I wake up with reflux in the middle of the nite, I will cough up stomach acid for an hour. I have to sit on the side of the bed (and I sleep in an adjustable bed).

Marci

I'm 2 years post op of RNY and I can eat ice creme cones!! I could have 5 a day if I wanted to gain weight. U will have to ensure to get your Protein Shakes and Vitamins and eat a lot of carbs asap so u don't lose weight. I would think since your goal is not weight loss the surgeon will not make your stomach too small. But u will lose weight the first 12 weeks no matter what but then can work at gaining it back. I used to have acid reflux but now never post op.

Good luck I hope it works for you!

6 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

@JohnnyCakes She currently weighs 154lbs and is looking at having an RNY. So she really doesn't have to worry about losing too much weight in the first 3 months following surgery--as she heals?

not really. her body will slow her activity down too. and even if she does get down too skinny, i'd bet anything that she'll regain after she heals and can eat unfettered again.

remember - RNY is not only performed on obese people but also people with no weight problems, but have uncontrollable diabetes. and those people see the resolution of their diabetes and their weight doesn't change much.

also remember - RNY works because it "fixes" your set point. if you are 400lbs and can't lose weight, that means RNY will take your set point from 400 to 200 (my example is a male). however, if a patient is 210lbs, RNY will probably put the set point at 200 also. in other words, you lose weight because your body has a new set point it's trying to get to. and the surgery virtually never puts it too low. you DON'T lose weight because of the restriction and calories in / calories out.

I have reflux really bad too after removing band to sleeve. I had started gaining weight because I had not restriction with band, it had slipped, so had it removed, have sleeve done and now I have gained even more weight plus the avid reflux is unbearable!! Having bypass hopefully Sept. 25th....I got down to 125 with the band & now weight around 170 again!!!

I understand your fear but trust me when i say do not be afraid of gastric bypass. There is a reason why gastric bypass is the gold standard out of all bariatric procedures.. i also like you have had all 3 procedures. Lapband placed in 2007. (284 down to 190)... Revision to Sleeve on 2015 ( 240 down to 177)... and just one month ago had a revision from sleeve to gastric bypass. (211 pounds at day of surgery and currently i am down to 186)..

I also am on the same boat as you regarding weight reduction. I did gain about 30 pounds but i had a combination of gerd plus hiatal hernia and also that my sleeve pouch stretched. I can say that a month after having bypass surgery it feels good. Like i feel that i dont even have anything done on me internally. I am currently finally on the solids stage and all is going well and no reflux at all which i am relieved. Soo just go for it and get the relief you desperately need for your GERD.

I too am having bypass after having the band, lost 80 pounds, then it slipped, started gaining weight, had it removed, same time had the sleeve but it didn't work, still gaining weight, never lost any weight, plus bad acid reflux and dr said I probably have hernia.

going in on Sept. 25 the to be checked & get bypass done! Can't wait!!

I had my Lapband revision to gastric bypass, with a hiatal hernia repair, all in one surgery on July 5 this year. I am 2 months out and feel SO much better. Life was miserable with the Lapband. I also had GERD and have not had one day of it with my surgery. I originally wanted to convert to the sleeve but my surgeon said it would make the GERD worse.

Don't be afraid.

This makes me so happy to read. I just had band to bypass on 9/11. One week out and I feel physically okay, but depressed and nervous.

This makes me so happy to read. I just had band to bypass on 9/11. One week out and I feel physically okay, but depressed and nervous.

It'll get better, one day at a time! I also had GERD, Lapband revision with Gastric bypass - NO reflux or symptoms of it since, praise the Lord! We're going to have better results than we imagined!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using BariatricPal mobile app

to answer your question, CLEARLY you should have had RNY from the beginning. that question has answered itself! the LapBand has been proven so ineffective that it's barely done anymore. and I predict that in 5 years, doctors won't touch the sleeve either because SO many patients (like you) suffer debilitating GERD.
let me try to address the fears you listed one by one:
1. i'm afraid i'll never have an ice cream cone again - in my opinion, if the occasional ice cream cone holds that much power over you, you have other food addiction problems you need to address. first of all, dumping is rare in RNY patients. usually around 25% experience it ever. and a lot people who experience it LIKE it because it keeps them off the sweets and avoids regain (something that sounds like it might benefit you too). i have never experienced dumping. and i have no desire whatsoever to eat ice cream. zero. last night there was an interesting dessert placed in front of me at a restaurant. i had a bite purely out of curiosity, enjoyed it, and didn't need/want anymore. best of all worlds if you ask me.
2. i'm afraid of Vitamin deficiencies - again, this does not happen to everyone. it doesn't even happen to the majority of people who don't take the prescribed vitamins!!! your doctor will definitely tell you to take a multivitamin for the rest of your life as INSURANCE that it will never happen. but - and this is important - that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen if you don't take Vitamins. it's still rare. but it is a small risk. so, take a damn vitamin! it's not that bloody hard! it boggles my mind that people who have been heavy their entire lives and suffered thru all that entails can then turn around and whine about having to take a pill everyday. jesus...
3. i fear i won't be a blessing to stop losing weight. - please tell me of any instance, ever... on this website or elsewhere, that someone has gotten RNY and wasted away to anorexia-like emaciation. IT. DOESN'T. HAPPEN. yes you will lose more than the sleeve and a lot more than the lapland. but your weight loss will stop at a healthy level. because your body will tell you (and allow you) to eat more when you reach that level.
in less than two months after my bypass surgery, the thing that i marveled at most was how NORMAL i feel. like... the surgery never even happened. i eat the same whole-food, delicious, paleo-style diet i ate before my surgery. can tolerate virtually any food (even beef and salad). i just eat a little less. and I'm rarely hungry and have great energy. no nausea. no throwing up. no GERD. no dumping.
please take this website for what it is... a place for people to come and complain and make things into a lot bigger deal than they are. the chances are very high that you will turn out just like me and MOST patients of RNY. just fine. BETTER than fine. amazing actually. i mean, life can't get any worse than what you're going thru, right? so you have to look forward to more weight loss and the complete remission/curing of your GERD problems. what is there to be afraid of? i'd be running towards the hospital right now if i were you!

There is a lady at work that had a gastric bypass that has gotten so thin, she is nothing but skin and bones. Not sure why.