Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Simple Question - 6 weeks post surgery - HOW MUCH

I stopped my swimming gor 2 days. I am still walking hyt today was my weekly weigh in and i am up another lb. I have a lot of Fluid retention. I also have lymphedema in my legs. Today i am going to try to elevate my legs and hope the fluid comes down. I know the weight is fluid retention. I see my doc on wed. I am also cutting back on drinking 80oz because its just too much. Also too much Protein for me at 65-70oz. I have one kidney. I will keep it light today and see if the fluud comes down. That is why i swim so much because it helps with the fluid. Although i could not swim until 3 weeks after surgery, i was not taking in so much Water. I was doing 48-60 oz. Maybe I am just getting over watered??? That sounds funny...lol

Oh gosh! You have some health issues I wasn't aware of. With only 1 kidney, you do have to be extra careful... you are not just another typical patient. The weight is definitely Water weight, so don't stress about it being fat. Water weight, for you, is concerning too, though.

With the new info, I'm going to change all my recommendations.

Aim for 55-60g Protein. You are right, high protein isn't needed in your case. Go back to swimming and walking.

Were you "forcing" yourself to drink 80oz? Or are you that thirsty? If you were forcing it, then sticking with 64oz is a good idea. If you are that thirsty, then take a look at your conditions. Are you in a very hot environment and sweating? If not, then are you getting enough salt or potassium? I urge you to count your sodium and potassium intakes, and report all these things to your doctor, so he/she can help you manage it. Just count it, but don't change it until they make a recommendation.

You need to keep in close contact with your docs until you get used to your new tummy and lifestyle.. and everything begins running smoothly for you.

7 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Oh gosh! You have some health issues I wasn't aware of. With only 1 kidney, you do have to be extra careful... you are not just another typical patient. The weight is definitely Water weight, so don't stress about it being fat. Water weight, for you, is concerning too, though.

With the new info, I'm going to change all my recommendations.

Aim for 55-60g Protein. You are right, high Protein isn't needed in your case. Go back to swimming and walking.

Were you "forcing" yourself to drink 80oz? Or are you that thirsty? If you were forcing it, then sticking with 64oz is a good idea. If you are that thirsty, then take a look at your conditions. Are you in a very hot environment and sweating? If not, then are you getting enough salt or potassium? I urge you to count your sodium and potassium intakes, and report all these things to your doctor, so he/she can help you manage it. Just count it, but don't change it until they make a recommendation.

You need to keep in close contact with your docs until you get used to your new tummy and lifestyle.. and everything begins running smoothly for you.

Thanks berry, yes I am seeing my docs this week. My cardiologist ordered potassium test because i do take Fluid pills with potassium. And my wls ordered all blood work so i will have full blood work this week. The nut gave me a handout with the required protein and goals and i was trying to make sure i was reaching them. But now i see my body does not need 80 oz of water nor all that protein. My kidney doc said don't go over 80 gr of protein but i still think i was getting too much. I see him at the end of Sept. I am still losing the inches because my clothes are getting sooo loose! And the energy, oh my , that has heen wonderful! I am getting 6000 steps everyday which for me is a milestone! Somedays i get over 7000. Thats a good thing! I see everyone this week so i hope i will have good news. I like to eat light, vegis, salad, green apples, some tuna or fish, my Protein Bar for Breakfast. I do not eat bread, Pasta or white flour. I am not that thirsty just a water drinker, have been for years. I was diabetic but that all resolved with surgery. I thought maybe because i am 57, weight loss will be slower. I just need a few tweeks. thank you so much for your input and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I think this week will be better. We have had a cold front so my pool is cooling down but i do have a rebounding trampoline so i will be bouncing soon. 😊

Great news all around! Saw my cardiologist and hd,said blood work was great and even decreased my metoporal down from 50mg to 25 and says by December I should be off it totally! Yeah!!!!
Saw my surgeon he said my blood work numbers were perfect! ! They gad me weighed at 247. He said it's ok, I am building muscle and he wants me to do that. Number on the scale he does not concern much about as long as clothes are getting looser. Inches count!!! He said in the end it will all come together. Do not stress just keep doing what I am doing and ignore the scale til I get weighed there.
I see him again in Nov.
He said it's going to be like this, lose,then plateau, then lose. Let the body do its thing.
I felt do much better. I,see my kidney doc in October but cardiologist had some kidney blood work and he told me it's doing great!
I feel like a weight was lifted. I,was so sure I was doing something wrong.
He said build the muscles to increase the metabolism.
Thank you all for your input and listening! You are my support and I really,andppreciate it!!

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1" instagram: K_aane_VSG

I too am trying to stay positive. My surgery was 7-21 and have list 18lbs...29 altogether since jan. I know its,a good number but I want to see the scale move. The inches,are falling off and I am happy about that but I need to see the lbs go too. ...
My doc visit is on the 13th of Sept, I hope he has answers. I ear between 800-1000 calories, get all my Water, walk, and swim an hour everyday. God help me, what am I doing wrong???? I feel great and have lots if energy. I refuse to get on the scale because I am going to throw it out the window! !! I get sooo mad!!!

If you're barely 2 months out, cut your calories to 600. I wasn't released to go to 800 until 6 months. You'll end up in a major stall because you'll be at maintenance calorie level.

In what freaking world is 800-1000 calories maintenance level???? ? ?????????? ?????????

I'm sorry for my language, but for the vast majority of the population, maintenance level is somewhere between 1200 and 2500 calories. This includes sub-5'0 tall, 70 year old women.

This thinking that people can and should consume less than 1000 calories for extended periods of time (even beyond weight loss)... where does this come from??

If you're barely 2 months out, cut your calories to 600. I wasn't released to go to 800 until 6 months. You'll end up in a major stall because you'll be at maintenance calorie level.

Even though I exercise , swim an hour and walk 7000 steps... Losing a lot of inches. Saw doc on wed, he said i was ok because I am losing major inches. Weight will plateau. Then someone here said I wasn't eating enough calories for the exercise I do.
I thought about droppping to 600 for a day or two then go back up to 800. Then someone said go up to 1000, then back down.
I really,appreciate all the response but I am going to keep doing what my doc says.
He said keep doing what i am. Dont worry about the scale, build the muscles, lose the inches, it will bring up my metabolism and the weight will come off and when it does I will be toned and strong.
Thanks so much , you are all my support and I really love ya'll. 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

In what freaking world is 800-1000 calories maintenance level???? ? ?????????? ?????????
I'm sorry for my language, but for the vast majority of the population, maintenance level is somewhere between 1200 and 2500 calories. This includes sub-5'0 tall, 70 year old women.
This thinking that people can and should consume less than 1000 calories for extended periods of time (even beyond weight loss)... where does this come from??

Concur, wholeheartedly. This is unhealthy, extreme dieting, restrictive, borderline anorexic thinking. My pre-sleeve BMR was very low (just over 1100) and I'm terribly inactive but I still eat 1,200-1,300 calories most days to maintain and now that I'm trying to gain it's more in line with 1,800 a day. If I would get off my lazy can I could easily build my body up to eating at this level regularly.

We cannot starve our bodies long term. It leads to deficiencies. Blood, hair, bones, teeth - it will show in time. It's just plain unhealthy. You're trading one form of disordered eating for another. Healthly balance is critical.

Cheri

I broke the stall!!!!woo woooo!!!!!
It happened!! I stepped on the scale this morning and I am 243.6!!!!
7-21 is my 2 month so I will weigh again and update my ticker.
I am also losing inches!!!
It's a praise report...thank you Jesus!!

Updated my ticker today! Today is my 2 mo. Since surgery on 7-21! scale is moving and I am so happy!!! I am down 32.8lbs since starting in January. I will take that!!!

My stats might sound disappointing, because most people want to lose quickly.

My only double digit month was the first one. After that, I lost about 6 pounds a month. So, less than 2 pounds a week.

But that didn't stop me from shedding 126 pounds, or from keeping it off. So, no matter the rate, stick with it. There will be stops, starts and stalls. Long term maintenance is the real goal.

Good luck!

Cheri

Sleeved 8/10/17 HT: 5'2
HW: 214 SW: 212 CW: 193 Goal: 155

I'm 9 weeks out and have been stalled for over a week. My friends say I look thinner so maybe I'm losing inches but the scale hasn't budged. I eat about 600-800 calories a day, 60-70 g Protein and 72 oz of Water a day. I exercise 3 to 4 days a week but average about 10k steps a day w/o the gym. I too have the irrational fear that my weight loss is done but then I read the posts and remind myself that the weight will come off, just may take some time. I didn't become obese overnight and I won't be healthy overnight.

Taking a break for a couple of days really helps. Then get straight back at it with 800 calories and as much Water as you can. It seems to be a bit of a circle but seems to be working for me at the moment. I can't do much exercise except walking due to arthritis.

Slow loser here, the first month I lost 8 lbs. The second, I lost 6. Every day the scale goes down some ounces so I feel I am on the right track. Started an exercise program, feeling stronger, clothes are finally getting loose. BMI out of obesity. Total weight loss including pre op 30 lbs.