Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious heart condition - help?!

I am due to have the surgery sleeve on 9/7 basically one week away. My family doesn't want me to do it for fear I won't make it through the procedure. I need to make a final decision and fast.

I was born with half a heart (left heart syndrome) and was given a new to the US surgery to save my life at 7 (Fontan) in 1987. My heart is very rare and the surgery basically makes my blood pump backwards to save my life.

Due to not being able to excercise (I can't walk to far without being tired), I gained a lot of weight. I am only 4 foot 8 inches and weigh 220. I need to lose half that weight.

My cardioligist approved my surgery but is concerned about the gas needed to inflate my stomach for the surgery. It is risky and puts a lot of pressure on my heart. Also having anesthesia is hard on it.

He said to me last week, you survived 37 years more than we thought (was suppose to die hours after birth), had two C- sections and healthy babies so I think you can do this.

Yet I am worried. Has anyone else ever had a serious heart condition before sleeve surgery and did okay with it?

Edited by sarajane80

I am due to have the surgery sleeve on 9/7 basically one week away. My family doesn't want me to do it for fear I won't make it through the procedure. I need to make a final decision and fast.
I was born with half a heart (left heart syndrome) and was given a new to the US surgery to save my life at 7 (Fontan) in 1980. My heart is very rare and the surgery basically makes my blood pump backwards to save my life.
Due to not being able to excercise (I can't walk to far without being tired), I gained a lot of weight. I am only 4 foot 8 inches and weigh 220. I need to lose half that weight.
My cardioligist approved my surgery but is concerned about the gas needed to inflate my stomach for the surgery. It is risky and puts a lot of pressure on my heart. Also having anesthesia is hard on it.
He said to me last week, you survived 37 years more than we thought (was suppose to die hours after birth), had two C- sections and healthy babies so I think you can do this.
Yet I am worried. Has anyone else ever had a serious heart condition before sleeve surgery and did okay with it?

Im not sure how spiritual you are... but the fact that you have out lived the life span that science predicted...i would say you are meant to be here...so try to ve confident in your journey.

Consider what you will gain; instead of what you are giving up.

I believe I wouldn't be here if God didn't have a purpose for me. I am praying he gives me a sign as to yes or no on the surgery because I don't know what to do.

Hi Sara. My surgeon told us upfront that the biggest risk is the unknown in each surgical procedure. The fact that they know your past history allows them to be prepared for various potential complications specific to your case. I would try to weigh the cons versus the pros in making your decision and see which list is ultimately the best for you in the long run. I don't personally have a heart problem yet, but I do have a strong family history of losing my father to a series of heart attacks in his 40s, his mother and father both having heart attacks, his brother having had bypass surgery, and losing my brother to a massive heart attack 4 years ago at the age of 56. My doc told me my family history alone put me at high risk, but the extra weight, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure compounded the risk and I was just a ticking time bomb unless I lost the weight. Also add in the factor of my sedentary lifestyle due to inactivity from my severely arthritic knees that need to be replaced, and it only gets grimmer. I tried on my own to lose the weight for over 10 years after my knees got so bad and the weight came on, but I constantly yoyo'd which also is not good on your heart. I finally decided I had to get the sleeve and get headed in the right direction, as my quality of life was pretty nonexistent and was only going to get worse. I too was hesitant but I was fortunate to have my family behind me, even though I know they were scared for me to have the surgery as well. It was the best decision I ever made for myself and I would do it again. If you keep positive thoughts and keep your mind open, I know God will give you the sign you are waiting for. Whichever way you decide, think about the burden that will be taken away from your heart which will allow you to live a longer life to enjoy your children and grandchildren when that day comes. Okay, I think I've said enuf for now. I wish you the best of what life has to offer you going forward and may God bless you with the right decision for you. Be sure to keep us posted. :)

Will your cardiologist be there for the procedure? Since it is inpatient, I'm sure they will have cardiology available. They can make sure an Attending (not a fellow, not a resident) in Cardiology is aware of your condition and can have a plan ready (if your cardiologist doesn't have privileges at the hospital your having the surgery at). I'm sure the Chief of Cardiology will make sure He/She is there and ready as it would be something they want to personally be involved with.

I would make sure to have a thorough discussion with your surgeon, cardiologist and anesthesia in advance.

While it's not normal to speak to your anesthesia provider in advanced of an ambulatory elective procedure, I think its a legitimate concern. And I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss that concern with them in advanced.

I guess my biggest concern is what kind of place are you having your surgery at? Is it a small community hospital with limited resources that might not even have a cardiac (or at least cardiac surgeon on standby)

Or is it a state of the art medical center with a fully staffed trauma ward and open heart program?

I believe that ultimately it will be a hard decision. Something that may help is thinking about to risk of undergoing surgery versus the risk of not. I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this but I wish you the best of luck.

I would agree to have the cardiologist review with the anesthesiologist due to that part of it, and then make sure the bariatric surgeon confers with the cardiologist and he or another is on standby during your surgery.

Bless you and all of your team with whatever decision you make.

I have always worked at Teaching Hospitals. I can honestly say, hospitals like ours would LOVE to handle cases like yours. Not only would it be a good teaching experience, it often gives an opportunity for a team to publish (Staff Physicians have publishing requirements). The entire team (Bariatric Surgeon, Cardiologist, Anesthesiologist, nursing from each, technicians,...) would have several planning meetings and would be ready for anything.

As stated above, you should be avoiding community hospitals, and probably looking for a major academic medical center (AMC). If your bariatric surgeon does not have privileges at an AMC, they should be partnering with a surgeon who does, to preform the surgery there.

My cardiologist won't be at that hospital. There is cardiologists there though. Instead of doing it at the center they moved it to Shawnee mission medical center in Kansas. I met with anesthesia yesterday and they assured me a cardiac anesthesiologist would be there. We have a plan so I am ready and praying it all works out.

I have lived my whole life as a Guiene pig lol. So I know how it goes down. I am in a lot of record books (for doctors) and the case of many studies. I just ignore it anymore

Just now, sarajane80 said:

My cardiologist won't be at that hospital. There is cardiologists there though. Instead of doing it at the center they moved it to Shawnee mission medical center in Kansas. I met with anesthesia yesterday and they assured me a cardiac anesthesiologist would be there. We have a plan so I am ready and praying it all works out.

I have lived my whole life as a Guiene pig lol. So I know how it goes down. I am in a lot of record books (for doctors) and the case of many studies. I just ignore it anymore

Good luck! I know it will go smooth. Once medical teams have a plan, things typically go well.