Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect with psych eval (I'm new hi! Introduction )

Hi! I'm new here and I have started the process to get my sleeve done.

A little back story ... (if you want to read it lol) I had my lap band for 10 years and lost 140 lbs and kept most of it off till I got pregnant 4 years ago. My band had started slipping and I had it unfilled for that time. He was 22 inches long when born so he moved my band and it ended up slipping ... it kept slipping (puked for months) till end of last year it was pinching my stomach and had emergency surgery to have it out. I was on bedrest for complications from this, then gallbladder surgery , as well and a foot injury so I have gained so much back all since January. I tried eating right and I work out walking/swimming because of my bad knee and foot. Sooooo I find myself starting all over again. I feel like I failed last time and I am going to try again. I feel I could do it once I could do it again? . The sleeve when healed seems like a better way to go.... so to my question ..... sorry for being long winded.

I never had a psych consult with my last surgery or at all... what should I expect? I am afraid of failing because I get a little depressed sometimes when things go to crap....

thanks for reading :)

During my eval, the psychologist basically asked about my growing-up years, focusing on any childhood trauma or adverse experiences that may have happened.

She asked about my typical eating habits. She asked if I started making changes to my habits.

She asked about my living situation and whether or not I had social support to uphold the lifestyle changes that surgery entails.

She asked about my motivations for wanting bariatric surgery, questioning why I didn't just "stop eating when I wasn't hungry." She was a thin person who had likely never been obese, so she probably didn't comprehend that my physical hunger was insatiable and I felt hungry all the time.

She probed about my relationship history and wondered aloud why I wasn't actively dating at that time. I shared my personal experience of dating presenting more challenges as an obese woman compared to when I was normal-weight. She agreed with me.

She asked about my career, goals, and educational level.

Since I once worked in psych, I know how the psych eval is formulated. She likely listed my potential strengths (college degree, professional career, realistic insight, having sought professional help in the past) against my potential drawbacks (childhood trauma, living alone, history of emotional eating) to make a recommendation.

Honesty is a must. The psychologist prefers you to admit to overeating than hear you say, "I eat 1000 calories a day and can't lose weight!"

Edited by Introversion

Thank you so much for replying :) great advice

Edited by WaywardMama

My psych evaluation was very basic, hit all the requirements stated by the surgeon's office and no more than that. It was so basic that the nurse phoned me to query me about it. Because it was my regular therapist, they were willing to approve me in the end.

13 hours ago, Véronique said:

My psych evaluation was very basic, hit all the requirements stated by the surgeon's office and no more than that. It was so basic that the nurse phoned me to query me about it. Because it was my regular therapist, they were willing to approve me in the end.

Awesome, mind is going to be a few hours I guess. I'm sure it will be fine. :) thanks fir replying

Awesome, mind is going to be a few hours I guess. I'm sure it will be fine. thanks fir replying

Just remember, follow up is critical. I have two therapy appointments set up for next week.

My pysch eval lasted about an hour. As basic questions about family and personal history. Didn't delve too far into my trauma history; accepted my explanation that I had previously worked through it.

I got the impression that it was more to verify that I understood the lifelong commitment required for surgery. Basically rule out any serious mental health issue that would have precluded me from complying with doctors orders.

My history of depression and anxiety was not an issue. The evaluator even stated that she would be surprised if there wasn't some degree of depression with individuals considering bariatric surgery.

23 minutes ago, Lannie said:

My pysch eval lasted about an hour. As basic questions about family and personal history. Didn't delve too far into my trauma history; accepted my explanation that I had previously worked through it.

I got the impression that it was more to verify that I understood the lifelong commitment required for surgery. Basically rule out any serious mental health issue that would have precluded me from complying with doctors orders.

My history of depression and anxiety was not an issue. The evaluator even stated that she would be surprised if there wasn't some degree of depression with individuals considering bariatric surgery.

Considering that things like sleep apnea contribute to clinical depression (not to mention the dramatically screwed up way that our society talks about and deals with people of size).

1 hour ago, Lannie said:

Awesome, thank you for sure :) I can see why doctors have this done. At first I was like "man, does he think I'm crazy? Lol"