Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is 9/18 for the sleeve. My boss asked me today about how much time I want off work. Lucky for me, my bosses understand the process of weight loss surgery and so there is no real push to do something I can't do. Also, lucky for me is that I have a lot of leave time and a lot of leeway to make my own schedule. My work ethic in me hates to take time off work but I don't want to work from home if I don't have to also for that week and a half so I can just focus on trying to get myself on the healing track. I am asking for a week and a half off work, then a week and half of paperwork from home and then I will back on the road seeing clients.

I am 43 years old and probably don't heal like these young pups. I sure hope I am being realistic about my time off.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by c1ndy

You drive for your job? How much? Early on, you might have a lot of energy but you can fatigue rapidly. It is hard to get in enough calories to fuel activity.

What are your job duties?

My surgery is 9/18 for the sleeve. My boss asked me today about how much time I want off work. Lucky for me, my bosses understand the process of weight loss surgery and so there is no real push to do something I can't do. Also, lucky for me is that I have a lot of leave time and a lot of leeway to make my own schedule. My work ethic in me hates to take time off work but I don't want to work from home if I don't have to also for that week and a half so I can just focus on trying to get myself on the healing track. I am asking for a week and a half off work, then a week and half of paperwork from home and then I will back on the road seeing clients.
I am 43 years old and probably don't heal like these young pups. I sure hope I am being realistic about my time off.
What are your thoughts?

Hi my surgery is September 12th and my Doctor is keeping me out for 6weeks. She wants me to get plenty of rest and be able to get through my all liquid and puraid stage of the Process. So when I go back to work I'll be on solid foods. I was tol d not to rush things so that I am able to get back in to the swing of things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

12 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

You drive for your job? How much? Early on, you might have a lot of energy but you can fatigue rapidly. It is hard to get in enough calories to fuel activity.

What are your job duties?

I am a therapist/counselor with intellectually disabled clients which sounds easy except I see my clients in their homes. Because I make my own schedule then I can determine who and what time or where I want to go. There are weeks where I drive a lot or may have a 40-50 hour work week. I would in and out of the car often. But the other part of my job is writing reports and paperwork (the boring part of my job). I don't have an office that I have to be in except for once a week for a mandatory meeting. At this point I am hoping to see my clients a lot before I go into surgery, this gives me time to just do the paperwork portion of my job for a week and half. The paperwork I can do from home or wherever I want and paperwork is never finished so it is not like I will be without anything to do. I could be on vacation and actually work and I do.

I also do program development and work with transitional housing about 15 hours a week as a volunteer job. I can take off there and have someone pick up the slack for me, plus I live around the corner, and I am available by phone. If I have to go over for a housing check or check on people I can have someone drive me and I can I show up for a few minutes for a visit. I have subs that will teach my classes.

I just don't want to over extend myself right away because I do need to be back on the road and ready and I don't want to exert myself too much too early and mess it up.

10 days no work

10 days of paperwork

then maybe back on the road

Maybe I should tell the boss "hopefully" back on the road 20 days later. I hate taking off work but I have to take care of myself too.

4 minutes ago, AsianBeauty said:

Hi my surgery is September 12th and my Doctor is keeping me out for 6weeks. She wants me to get plenty of rest and be able to get through my all liquid and puraid stage of the Process. So when I go back to work I'll be on solid foods. I was tol d not to rush things so that I am able to get back in to the swing of things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Holy smokes, 6 weeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkssss.......ahhhhhhhhhhh......I cant do six weeks but it kind of sounds nice too. lol

You might be okay at 4 weeks, like you could. At 4 weeks I had to take my child back to college and that was 800 miles driving over a weekend.

It really depends a lot on how much you can eat at that point.

6 weeks would be a lot better.

The getting in and out of your car, walking to doors going up stairs, the temp changes, are all going to wear you out. I would hate to think about you falling asleep at the wheel.

1 minute ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

You might be okay at 4 weeks, like you could. At 4 weeks I had to take my child back to college and that was 800 miles driving over a weekend.

It really depends a lot on how much you can eat at that point.

6 weeks would be a lot better.

The getting in and out of your car, walking to doors going up stairs, the temp changes, are all going to wear you out. I would hate to think about you falling asleep at the wheel.

You are certainly correct on that because the temp changes do affect me as it is. I would not want to fall asleep at the wheel either.

I guess it is will be wait and see - I cant even imagine taking off 6 weeks but if it came down to that then it is what it is. Hopefully not. I could potentially do three weeks of paperwork - no lie. lol

I took a short term disability for 5 weeks because my fulltime pays me 100% of my pay up to 5 weeks and 50% pay after 5 weeks up until 20 weeks .. I work a fulltime job in banking and a partime job at UPS ... I do heavy lifting at UPS sometimes and I wanted to make sure I was fully healed when I return to both jobs....

I took two days. Plus the weekend and went back to work.

I have a desk job and am age 48.

My boss said I could take off for 6 weeks, but why bother?

I was at Lollapalooza on day 6 dancing (slowly) to Radiohead, and in Ireland 30 days out.

But I was able to meet Protein and Water goals from day one.

I felt good enough to go back on day 4. But I took 4 weeks because I can and get paid for it. I'm glad I did, because I've found when I get distracted, it's easy to lose focus of my Fluid, Protein and meal goals. Plus, my boss is an @ss, and I'm sure being at work would have caused stress I don't need.

I admit, I'm bored. So I go for walk, watch lifetime, judge Judy and just focus on Me. I am so am probably doing too much, like those little projects that have been piling up for a while, like weeding, fertilizing trees, building a closet, painting an old cedar chest. It's sort of nice!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am in HR so I sit at a desk most of the day. I took off 1 week initially and wasn't ready to come back. I came back for half a day and had no energy and my incisions were still hurting. I was holding my abdomen while I walked. I took another week off.

2 weeks was enough. If i had it my way, I would've loved 3 weeks off to be fully 100 and get into a habit for myself but I couldn't take off that much time with the work I do...

5 hours ago, sassy683 said:

I took a short term disability for 5 weeks because my fulltime pays me 100% of my pay up to 5 weeks and 50% pay after 5 weeks up until 20 weeks .. I work a fulltime job in banking and a partime job at UPS ... I do heavy lifting at UPS sometimes and I wanted to make sure I was fully healed when I return to both jobs....

The heavy lifting for UPS would be hard. I almost bought short term disability insurance through AFLAC but .... I did not. I could still do it but I think because my surgery was already set then it would not be covered.

5 hours ago, Christine from Chicago said:

I took two days. Plus the weekend and went back to work.

I have a desk job and am age 48.

My boss said I could take off for 6 weeks, but why bother?

I was at Lollapalooza on day 6 dancing (slowly) to Radiohead, and in Ireland 30 days out.

But I was able to meet Protein and Water goals from day one.

You go!!!! two days and the weekend, that is promising.

5 hours ago, ToSleeveOrNotToSleeve said:

I felt good enough to go back on day 4. But I took 4 weeks because I can and get paid for it. I'm glad I did, because I've found when I get distracted, it's easy to lose focus of my Fluid, Protein and meal goals. Plus, my boss is an @ss, and I'm sure being at work would have caused stress I don't need.

I admit, I'm bored. So I go for walk, watch lifetime, judge Judy and just focus on Me. I am so am probably doing too much, like those little projects that have been piling up for a while, like weeding, fertilizing trees, building a closet, painting an old cedar chest. It's sort of nice!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I need a little Judge Judy in my life and some pulling weeds! My boss is awesome but I don't see him often. So day 4 is promising. I see you are a low BMI and short like, good job on your weight loss so far! That is impressive.

I'm very grateful most of my work is offsite. However, I was told usually a 1-2 weeks would be adequate should I work onsite with clients.

I say, if you have the time to do so and it won't strain you financially, take the time off. This recovery only happens once in your lifetime so why not take advantage of it and rest up?