Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am about 2 weeks post op. Today I had a little bite of Mac and cheese and fried chicken without the skin. Just a few bites of it. Now I'm having spasms in my stomach. My biggest concern is creating a leak in my pouch. Can I do this? How would I know? Can someone please help me? I'm so scared I'll definitely be doing liquids the rest of the week.

Leaks cause fevers, pain/achiness that doesn't let up.

You knew that solids are dangerous for the first few weeks. But you ate anyway. Please contact your surgeon so he/she can make sure you are ok and help you find help. Counseling or therapy might be in order.

I am not trying to be cruel here, as you sound scared - call your physician - because this is an internet forum filled with ordinary people and not physicians.

If someone came knocking at your front door and stumbled in bleeding from an injury would you apply pressure to the wound and call 911 or get on here and ask what to do?

Stop messing around - you just had 85% of a major organ cut off and removed and stapled shut.

Just another side to it. My program has us eating normal food by day 4. We have to chew it very well, and there are restrictions, but Pasta with cheese and skinless chicken was allowed. It didn't matter if you had the Sleeve or the RNY, normal food by day 4.

It's true that some programs have people on solids right out of the gate. She didn't say that was allowed on her program, so it sounds like she didn't follow her doctor's orders. We don't know her medical situation and whether solids could be a problem for HER.

What is even more concerning to me though is the mental aspect. For food to be so important that she risks her health....

I know programs are different and hers doesn't allow food so early. And I agree that she should follow her program and work on the mental aspect of it. The reason I mentioned it was because she was worried about it causing a leak. If the risk of causing a leak would be that high, no program would have you on solids by day 4. I'm not saying that it can't, I'm no doctor, but odds are, it won't. That doesn't mean she should go ahead and continue deviating from her program.

Edited by Meryline

7 hours ago, Meryline said:

Just another side to it. My program has us eating normal food by day 4. We have to chew it very well, and there are restrictions, but Pasta with cheese and skinless chicken was allowed. It didn't matter if you had the Sleeve or the RNY, normal food by day 4.

She posted this on a sleeve area so would assume she did not have a bypass. If her plan included the food she mentioned she would not be on here asking about it..

Edited by dreamingsmall

7 hours ago, Meryline said:

I know programs are different and hers doesn't allow food so early. And I agree that she should follow her program and work on the mental aspect of it. The reason I mentioned it was because she was worried about it causing a leak. If the risk of causing a leak would be that high, no program would have you on solids by day 4. I'm not saying that it can't, I'm no doctor, but odds are, it won't. That doesn't mean she should go ahead and continue deviating from her program.

Different surgeons perform the surgery differently, so each surgeon will have a plan to suit how they do the surgery , eating solids before someones plans indicate to do so increases the risk of leaks, this is not debatable. The fact you were able to eat Pasta on day 4 makes no difference to the increased risk, and perhaps each surgeon puts their paitents on a plan to reduce risk depending on how their surgery is done?? You may have an odds that eating solids to early will not cause a leak, but that makes no difference. It does in some people and has. So if its not on someones plan they should try their best to avoid . . :) The mentalilty of " if its so dangerous it would not be available" well.. You only have to look around to see how that view is abit well.. Many things are out there that are not ideal or Great for one, but risky for another, does not mean they would eliminate it all together . ;) I agree though it would be better if she can get on track from now.

Edited by dreamingsmall

3 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

She posted this on a sleeve area so would assume she did not have a bypass. If her plan included the food she mentioned she would not be on here asking about it..

Seriously?

She asked if she could cause a leak. I told her that my program has you on food by day 4 for both bypass and sleeve. I was just reassuring her that the odds of her causing a leak is minimal. Nothing else.

Just now, Meryline said:

Seriously?

She asked if she could cause a leak. I told her that my program has you on food by day 4 for both bypass and sleeve. I was just reassuring her that the odds of her causing a leak is minimal. Nothing else.

I would not reassure someone they would not have a leak unless I had xray vision, thats just me though. But yes.. Seriously.

7 minutes ago, Meryline said:

Seriously?

my dr told me straightforward on my discharge day. dont go home and eat solid foods like a burger. he said "you will die" not get sick but you will die. I heeded that warning and am following his rules to the letter. which i think that was his point to FOLLOW HIS PROGRAM

12 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

I would not reassure someone they would not have a leak unless I had xray vision, thats just me though. But yes.. Seriously.

I didn't, I just said that odds are minimal. She didn't ask if it was a smart idea to do what she did, she already said it wasn't. She was worried about causing a leak.

I already said that I'm not a doctor, but if the risk was so high that she definitely would cause a leak, no program would have you eating solids by day 4. Several European countries start way earlier with food than the US. Norway by day 10, Austria by day 4, and I don't know the exact day for several others, but I know it's earlier than the US. The doctors over here don't do it for fun, it's not like they gamble with our lives more than in the US. So not, im not a doctor, I don't have x-ray vision and I'm not saying she 100% doesn't have a leak.

Odds are though, that at 2 weeks out, a couple of bites will not cause a leak.

Edited by Meryline

Just now, Meryline said:

I didn't, I just said that odds are minimal. She didn't ask if it was a smart idea to do what she did, she already said it wasn't. She was worried about causing a leak. I already that I'm not a doctor, but if the risk was so high that she definitely would cause a leak, no program would have you eating solids by day 4. Several European countries start way earlier with food than the US. Norway by day 10, Austria by day 4, and I don't know the exact day for several others, but I know it's earlier than the US. The doctors over here don't do it for fun, it's not like they gamble with our lives more than in the US. So not, im not a doctor, I don't have x-ray vision and I'm not saying she 100% doesn't have a leak.

Odds are though, that at 3 weeks out (I need to check, but I believe she wrote 3weeks), a couple of bites will not cause a leak.

The risks are there for the surgeon who completed the surgery and there for her program does not include having solids early, your surgeon perhaps may do the surgery abit different and is confident that his way of doing the surgery is okay to have solids early. But you are right if solids so early causes leaks a surgeon would not have it on their plan. Eating solids early is not on the OP plan so what does that mean? HER surgeon feels the risk is too great, so what are we debating ? :P

1 minute ago, dreamingsmall said:

:P

Really?

If you are so sure she'll cause a leak, why don't you call the surgeon for her. I mean, you are convinced she will.

I have said what I had to say. And I stand by all of it.

I think all surgerys are done differently like some people eating at 4 days plus and feel great, i had a lump of Protein Shake powder slide down a week in and thought i was having a heart attack lol. It really just depends.