Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like I will never eat again

I am 5 days post op and I get spasm or cramps every time I try to swallow a drink or something. I tried to have fat free sugar free frozen yogurt my doc said I can have it and could not get through 4 spoon fulls because my stomache hurt. Does this feeling ft better I feel like I will never eat real food again the way I am feeling now. I am forcing my liquids down and sometimes when I am drinking I feel like I have gas right in the middle of my chest. Will I get better? Is this normal? I can't wait to be on normal foods but I am scared to death that I won't be able to handle it because of the way I am feeling now. Can someone please tell me what they think or did u experience the same things.

Take smaller sips and smaller bites. I had this same issue, my Doctor found a hiatal hernia that was repaired and I can say in the first week when I would take a sip too large, it was friggin murder going down. Also, be sure to wait a few seconds between sips/bites, so the liquid/food has time to funnel through. For Soups or thicker substances, I would dip my spoon and just lick off what was left on it, it took longer to get in the ounces, but it kept the pain away.

Take it slow, I know you are probably thirsty or even a bit hungry, but don't rush, because rushing means pain.

Good Luck.

You are still healing, so it will get better.

It gets better. I'm 8 months post op and can eat pretty much anything. I have no pain or issues getting food down.

It gets better. I'm 8 months post op and can eat pretty much anything. I have no pain or issues getting food down.

When did it start getting better for you? Please tell me before the 8 months.

normal and it does get better. If you haven't already, try warming everything up. I had to drink even my Water warm. it was the only way I could tolerate anything in the early days. You'll notice it improving week by week. I think I was 100% by 2-3 months, if not sooner.

Edited by Travelher

Exactly the same. I Felt pretty dehydrated because after two mini sips of Water I felt like I had eaten a thanksgiving meal. Just keep taking the little sips, and that bloated stomach feeling is air, so walk a lot to walk it off. Even just inside your home. No, you will not stay like this. You will get your strength back, you will be able to have little bites of real food (and chew them for a,long time). I'm almost 6 weeks out and I still get the bloaty stomach so I still keep my sips and bites small and chew well. This is what I wanted. I'm glad for the bloat. Because if I eat small amounts, slowly, it prevents it. Nothing else was going to cut my portions!

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, graziellabs said:

When did it start getting better for you? Please tell me before the 8 months.

Yes it was before 8 months. I would say for me personally I felt much better by 4-6 weeks post op. I never had any issues major issues other than eating felt uncomfortable at first and having to remember to take my time and adjust my eating to how I was feeling. If it didn't sit well, I found something else and came back to it. I started solids at 10wks and I would say I was eating normally by 12-13 weeks.