Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can finally start my story and ready for the first step...

Hi Everyone!

It's been a couple weeks since my first consultation with the bariatric surgeon in Atlanta. I am feeling confident and focused on moving forward with the surgery. I am planning to work with my insurance company to have the procedure.

My surgeon and insurance require 90 days of tests (EKG, Gast. X-ray?, blood panel, Physical Therapy, Psychiatric Evaluation and Supervised Nutrition Plan). I am following the plan and taking it seriously. I have been told that I cannot gain any weight between my consultation and my nutritionist's appointments. I don't have to lose any weight, but I cannot gain or my insurance will not approve of the surgery. Makes sense. (I figure.. this is my last resort, so let's give it 150%!)

I am also incorporating more steps into my day. I work a sedentary job in an office, so I am at approximately 8K steps when I am conscious of getting up and walking. My days consist of a lot of meetings in conference rooms or sitting at my desk working on my next presentations. So- I am trying to mind my health habits while staying focused on my work goals.

While I try to eat "healthy," I am accepting the fact that I am a binge eater. Specifically, on carbs (bread, bread, bread). Throughout the work day, I eat balanced Snacks of high Protein, low carbs and keep my caloric count in check. However, when I go home, I am famished. I am so hungry and want to feel full. This has always been my eating habit in life and over the years-- it has caught up with me. I will talk about that more in a separate post.

For now, I am looking to meet others who might have the same issues who would like to be support friends? Any else work in an office and have the same issues? Did you have bing eating issues?

I recently had a back surgery and had to quit my job. So I am at home and not able to do much but walking. I am obsessed with what I am going to eat throughout the day. I dont bing but I am always on my phone app fat secret typing what I am going to have! I too have the exact same insurance requirements. I had my first Nutrition class Thursday and I originally weighted in at 254.4. At Thursdays appt I was 250.2!! The trick is when you eat track it and set limits! I have been told to eat within 30 minutes from waking otherwise your body goes in starvation mode. So when I get up, I got straight for the bullet and make my own Protein Shake. This may not be the way we are going to do it post op but its working for now. At lunch I have a rather big Protein planned meal and the I have a shake later on around 5 pm. Around 7 I have a snack of either yogurt or an apple with PB. So far so good. I have been trying to watch the clock and make my meals last 20-30 minutes and not to drink before or after at least 30 minutes. I counted my days left today because I'm going stir crazy. I have excatly 79 days to surgery!! I would love to be a buddy as I am pretty much on my own here.

Op I have a similar situation. I'm waiting to start my 3 month supervised diet in November (need new insurance first). I will gladly cheer you on and support you! I just got a standing/sitting desk and have been able to get in more steps by marching in place or pacing during conference calls. From 2500 steps to 5000 between 9-5 I'd say it's workin :)

Hi! I'm just south of Atlanta and I'm beginning my journey. Had my consult and working my roadmap to get insurance approval. Looking for some sort of support group while I'm going through this. I would love to talk and share concerns with others going through this too.

hi guys! I'm new too! I've had two of my 6 month supervised diet weigh ins and I've had my chest xray, gallbladder ultrasound and all my labs. I've got a crap load of appointments this month coming up! lol. I would love buddies to go through this journey with!

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Love it, Everyone! You are newbies, too! We are in this together! I just established my new PCP provider today. I absolutely love her and her staff. (Just moved so I needed a new one in the area.)

I walked in, not with the intention of expecting her to be onboard or not onboard. I didn't want to have any expectations, but instead wanted her honest opinion and feedback. I found out that her and my bariatric surgeon know each other in the community and they both support each other.

It made me feel really at ease knowing that I made a decision and have a medical team that really wants to help. So, I got my whole physical done, EKG, blood panel, everything taken care of at my PCP. Win! And, I am using this as a benchmark for my new healthy life moving forward. Plus, it was REALLY nice talking to a doctor that didn't focus so negatively on my weight. It was more like. "We have a plan. Let's do this!"

Sounds so much like my doctor. We have talked about my weight for years and she never criticized, only encouraged me to make better and more healthy decisions. When I told her I was thinking about surgery as an option, she could t have been MORE supportive. I had lost 80 pounds on my own but after having gallbladder surgery last year, my motivation tanked and I have since put back on 50 of what I lost.

I'm scared about the changes I will have to make but I want to feel better and not have to opt out of things I want to do with my family or even just for me. My kids are grown and I feel like I wasted my youth on enjoying food instead of them. Now I have a grandson and think about all the possibilities I could have with him.

I do ask myself if I'm too old for this or am I chasing my youth. I know how GREAT I felt 50 pounds lighter last year and I can not imagine what life would be like if I didn't worry about seat belts being too tight, embarrassing my kids when we go out in public, or fitting in a booth at a restaurant.