Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being raised and bred in Kansas, I love and always have loved steak, potatoes, gravy, biscuits, corn-on-the-cob, pecan pie, etc., etc. Of course it shows being as to where I am weight wise, right now in my life. So, I am on a food Funeral pity pot rant.

I went to Papa Murphy's yesterday for a dinner pizza, ,and on my way there I stopped at McDonald's. I consumed 2 double cheeseburgers and a large fry, I ate it in the pizza joint parking lot before picking it up. That is purely sick my friends, that is how bad I have been. I was thinking about hiring a hearse and driver to take me out with a motorcycle cop to stop traffic for my Food Funeral stops. I was out of control and spiraling.

But, I think I have come to my senses , FINALLY, after receiving a phone call from a nurse this morning at the hospital where I am going to have my surgery on Sept. 19th. She called to setup my pre-op appts. With the anesthesiologist, a 2 hr. required class, and intense lab work. My Dr. office also called me this morning, and setup the appt. time for her pre-op on the same day. I don't know what came over me since putting these dates and times in my office calendar, but for the 1st time reality set in, in that this thing is for real, it's not a joke, it's a life changer, and a life saver. I knew all this before,,, but for some reason all the sudden I finally get it. I finally get it!

I haven't felt so mental in a positive way about it until now. Now my thinking about not setting myself up for failure with such crappy thinking, and making excuses for my irresponsible eating binges is on the right course. I know me and now I am on a mission. No more of my favorite carbonated drinks, I can handle it. No more fatty foods, I can handle it. And no more bad carbs, I can handle it. Going forward, I will be put to the real test starting with dinner tonight, and tomorrow Breakfast, lunch, etc. I know me and I can do this. I have to do this as now, I am thinking smart and responsibly for the very 1st time.

We will see how things go and I will write on here how my journey continues. I have excellent support from someone that is not family, but someone I have recently been in touch with that can relate 100% with my daily experiences. That is the one thing I really, really appreciate is not only her support, and you know who you are, but the support I have on this web site, the personal experiences on this forum and honest responses to my postings. Thank you,,,,,,,,,

I also had the food funeral...and gained weight because of it. My surgeon was not happy and said I needed to lose 15lbs in order to do the surgery...surgery is scheduled for Monday 8/28. I have lost 12 pounds so hoping the other 3 will come off this weekend so surgery is not cancelled. This self sabotaging behavior is horrible and once I was approved I changed my mindset. Good luck to you on your journey.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

For those who have yet to have surgery, keep in mind that you will not feel the same way about food after your surgery. For me after taking a drastic step to have the surgery...I really don't want to put something in my mouth and stomach that is going to undo all of the hard work of myself,the surgeon and the rest of the team of medical professionals that have helped me along the way.

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

I will not be having a food funeral either. Over the past year or so, I've been working hard to implement the changes I need to make in order to make this surgery a success. I quit indulging in marijuana, I have not had a drop of alcohol and for the past seven months, I have been adhering to a rigorous 1,800 calorie diet, as prescribed by the nutritionists.

That's not to say I didn't go out to eat before I started my liquid diet. I went out with a couple of friends and we went to this restaurant in Denver called Sputnik. I had one of their smaller dishes, the Mac-n-Cheese without the green onions. The experience of shooting the breeze with my friends, though, is more important and I made sure to pace my meal to the end of the conversation.

I watch a lot of WLS YouTube videos and have heard a number of bloggers mention "food funerals" pre-op. Did any of you have a final feast of your favorite non-friendly post-WLS foods to lay them to rest for good before surgery?

We all have weak moments, I get that. But actually planning for a food funeral seems like the first step in a failure of your future lifestyle. If one excessive and unhealthy meal means that much to you, maybe you aren't ready for this change yet?

I had the band in 2009 and lost all of my excess weight. Unfortunately, it has since failed and I need a revision. It felt great to be normal and thin - but it required work and commitment. If you can't be strong now in pre-op, do you think you will be strong enough to cope in post-op? Choose wisely.

1 hour ago, KartMan said:

We all have weak moments, I get that. But actually planning for a food funeral seems like the first step in a failure of your future lifestyle. If one excessive and unhealthy meal means that much to you, maybe you aren't ready for this change yet?

I had the band in 2009 and lost all of my excess weight. Unfortunately, it has since failed and I need a revision. It felt great to be normal and thin - but it required work and commitment. If you can't be strong now in pre-op, do you think you will be strong enough to cope in post-op? Choose wisely.

Precisely. We have to be mindful of the fact that this surgery is a tool, not a cure.

As a person a year out from the sleeve which I had at Kaiser, if we gained even an ounce before surgery they would not do it. I built my cheating in and around the dates I knew I had to weight in to provide a cushion to step up the workouts, dial back on calories. Kaiser never recommends the food funeral concept as it means that we have not dealt w our addictions. That said, many of us have been overweight for years that's years of doing it our way. My way never worked. I had to have a VGS to lose my weight. AND after you have surgery go through the rapid weight loss phase, then you begin eating more again you will and can gain weight back. I was 280 now 140 fighting to stay there because now I can eat more. So the more strict you are now the better you will do post op. In fact I ate a chocolate chip cookie today and feel really bad about it. After the first six months of surgery that cookie would have sent me into dumping syndrome so you can retrain yourself to eat like your overweight self. Go to as many support groups as possible, stay close to sites like this where you can talk it out with people who are going through or have had WLS. I still struggle w sugary foods, head hunger. I am getting recommitted to lose this last 10lbs swear it feels harder that the 100lbs. Hang in there, be strong, still the best choice I ever made. You can do it! And you are not alone!

1 hour ago, chele367 said:

As a person a year out from the sleeve which I had at Kaiser, if we gained even an ounce before surgery they would not do it. I built my cheating in and around the dates I knew I had to weight in to provide a cushion to step up the workouts, dial back on calories. Kaiser never recommends the food funeral concept as it means that we have not dealt w our addictions. That said, many of us have been overweight for years that's years of doing it our way. My way never worked. I had to have a VGS to lose my weight. AND after you have surgery go through the rapid weight loss phase, then you begin eating more again you will and can gain weight back. I was 280 now 140 fighting to stay there because now I can eat more. So the more strict you are now the better you will do post op. In fact I ate a chocolate chip cookie today and feel really bad about it. After the first six months of surgery that cookie would have sent me into dumping syndrome so you can retrain yourself to eat like your overweight self. Go to as many support groups as possible, stay close to sites like this where you can talk it out with people who are going through or have had WLS. I still struggle w sugary foods, head hunger. I am getting recommitted to lose this last 10lbs swear it feels harder that the 100lbs. Hang in there, be strong, still the best choice I ever made. You can do it! And you are not alone!

The first time I heard of the concept was at the classes/support groups at Denver Health. I know that when I was attending the medical weight loss classes at Poudre Valley Hospital, I didn't hear anyone talk about the food funeral, which is probably in part due to the fact that at PVH, the medical weight loss classes and support groups are separate events held on separate days at separate times whereas at Denver Health, the classes are also support groups.