Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I watch a lot of WLS YouTube videos and have heard a number of bloggers mention "food funerals" pre-op. Did any of you have a final feast of your favorite non-friendly post-WLS foods to lay them to rest for good before surgery?

Yes: I had four "final" dinners: two were fettucine Alfredo (since that will NEVER be allowed again), one was a steak and baked potato--I'll have steak again eventually--and the other was a cheeseburger, which I'll be having without the bun in future. They were all very good, but I think my favorite was the cheeseburger, so it's good to know that'll be in the future. On the other hand, I've lost about 28 pounds so far, I've been following my pre-op two-week diet pretty rigorously (enjoying a chocolate Protein Shake right now--well, maybe not enjoying, exactly, but tolerating). Even with the relatively small weight loss so far, I'm feeling better in several significant ways, so I'm very focused on the future. I don't care what I can't eat--I care about feeling better and being healthier.

No, I did not have any food funerals prior to WLS. Instead, months before surgery I started implementing lifestyle changes of a successful bariatric patient. Enough was enough. I had treated/rewarded/comforted myself for too long (decades) with food. There wasn't anything that I hadn't consumed plenty of already. Plus, the idea that there is food you can NEVER have again is false. Once one is in maintenance there may be food that can be reintroduced (in limited amounts) if it doesn't trigger binge eating. Commit to developing a healthy relationship with food and good habits before testing your limits and going back to your old ways.

36 minutes ago, RSM said:

I watch a lot of WLS YouTube videos and have heard a number of bloggers mention "food funerals" pre-op. Did any of you have a final feast of your favorite non-friendly post-WLS foods to lay them to rest for good before surgery?

Unless you're a confirmed death row inmate, you can do without the food funerals.

My food funerals were definitely maladaptive. I basically went crazy eating all of my favorite foods "one final time" before supposedly saying goodbye forever.

I was initially approved for weight loss surgery with a height of 5'1 and weight of 200 pounds (37 BMI) in October 2014. A week prior to surgery I weighed 225 pounds (42 BMI).

Due to food funerals and an inability to control my appetite, I actually gained 25 pounds during the pre-op time period.

In hindsight, the food funerals were unnecessary and I regret them because I had to lose that additional 25 pounds post-op, making it that much longer to get to goal.

I suppose we all handle this subject differently. I am not a death row inmate of course, but rather am looking at this time as if I am losing my BFF. And, right now I know I can eat whatever I want and how much I want while fully knowing this is "stinkin' thinkin". I just wanted other peoples perspectives and how they handled such a controversial experience. Personally, this isn't the first time I have experienced a indulgence loss. 17 years ago I quit smoking cold turkey and I didn't smoke a carton my last few days, I simply just quit. 2 years ago I quit alcohol, now that was hard. So you say, if you can quit those then what's the problem? I don't know, except that food is a necessity and we can't live without it I guess. Thanks for you post.

6 minutes ago, MarinaGirl said:

No, I did not have any food funerals prior to WLS. Instead, months before surgery I started implementing lifestyle changes of a successful bariatric patient. Enough was enough. I had treated/rewarded/comforted myself for too long (decades) with food. There wasn't anything that I hadn't consumed plenty of already. Plus, the idea that there is food you can NEVER have again is false. Once one is in maintenance there may be food that can be reintroduced (in limited amounts) if it doesn't trigger binge eating. Commit to developing a healthy relationship with food and good habits before testing your limits and going back to your old ways.

When I say I'll never have fettucine Alfredo again, it's because I know carbs trigger me, and I've decided a low-carb future is best. Maybe I'm exaggerating: if I live to be 80, maybe I'll decide to have some fettucine. but otherwise, I'm well aware that there are plenty of better choices that I like just fine. I'm okay with that.

As a person a year out from the sleeve which I had at Kaiser, if we gained even an ounce before surgery they would not do it. I built my cheating in and around the dates I knew I had to weight in to provide a cushion to step up the workouts, dial back on calories. Kaiser never recommends the food funeral concept as it means that we have not dealt w our addictions. That said, many of us have been overweight for years that's years of doing it our way. My way never worked. I had to have a VGS to lose my weight. AND after you have surgery go through the rapid weight loss phase, then you begin eating more again you will and can gain weight back. I was 280 now 140 fighting to stay there because now I can eat more. So the more strict you are now the better you will do post op. In fact I ate a chocolate chip cookie today and feel really bad about it. After the first six months of surgery that cookie would have sent me into dumping syndrome so you can retrain yourself to eat like your overweight self. Go to as many support groups as possible, stay close to sites like this where you can talk it out with people who are going through or have had WLS. I still struggle w sugary foods, head hunger. I am getting recommitted to lose this last 10lbs swear it feels harder that the 100lbs. Hang in there, be strong, still the best choice I ever made. You can do it! And you are not alone!

3 hours ago, RSM said:

No, I did not.. I am 6 week posts. Stuffing myself with junk(Which would be my food funeral lol) before starting the preop diet would have been a nightmare for me .

I had food funerals. Looking back it was kind of dumb.

Pre-op I thought that my taste buds would be different post-op, they are the same. I also thought that I wouldn't be able to eat a lot of things. I can eat anything. So there was no need for food funerals.

However I will say my food funerals helped me get through all the time I was on liquids, 10 days prior to surgery and 2 weeks afterwards. Over 3 weeks without really chewing will drive you nuts. I got through it by thinking about all the stuff I had before surgery and reminding myself of those meals and that helped me get through it.

Everyone is different and you have to do what works for you.

I had my favorite chicken parm over spaghetti the night before I started my preop diet. It's been one week since surgery and I miss chewing things. I look forward to reintroducing more normal foods back into my diet instead of just liquids.

I am not gonna lie. I am totally having a food funeral. I think it is important for me to do it , like closure. I have until Friday and then I am going to start the pre- op because my sleeve date is 9/12. I am not eating too crazy but I am eating whatever I want for B, L and D. I eat healthy B all the time and always have so I am continuing with that but I am more lenient on myself for L and I get whatever I want for dinner. I still need some surf and turf and Indian food. Gotta lay them down to rest !! I know I will technically be able to eat whatever I want in small portions in the future but I am not planning too. Once I start slipping it can be a bad road for me .

I am not gonna lie. I am totally having a food funeral. I think it is important for me to do it , like closure. I have until Friday and then I am going to start the pre- op because my sleeve date is 9/12. I am not eating too crazy but I am eating whatever I want for B, L and D. I eat healthy B all the time and always have so I am continuing with that but I am more lenient on myself for L and I get whatever I want for dinner. I still need some surf and turf and Indian food. Gotta lay them down to rest !! I know I will technically be able to eat whatever I want in small portions in the future but I am not planning too. Once I start slipping it can be a bad road for me .

I did the exact same way that you are doing....I feel like it helped me. I am 2 weeks post op today. Those last few yummy meals I had before starting liquids helped me look ahead to the days when I won't be eating as much. Food funeral was great for me. To be honest I really have not had any cravings at this point. I have been researching healthy recipes for when I do start back eating. Best wishes to you!!

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a little of a last fling before my pre op diet. I let myself have 3 not so healthy meals/drinks in the week prior. My big deal was when I invited the 3 friends who knew about my surgery over for a champagne brunch. I made tons of food and had lots of champagne. It was a great time and I don't regret it. The very next day I started the liquid pre op diet which is not that fun. Now I am a little over 3 months out. Things are going pretty good. It is good to start getting in a healthier mind set but enjoy yourself a bit too. This is not an easy fix as everyone on here knows. My suggestion is to listen to your doctor, listen to your stomach and don't put too much stock in other people's stories. Everyone is going to be different. Good luck and much success!

Yes, I had everything I liked the weeks before surgery and I had shish kabobs! Steak, pork ,bell peppers, onions, zucchini, yellow Squash, potatoes.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using BariatricPal mobile app