Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Seminar - Vitamins - Ocean/Swim - 9 days post: HELP

Because I'm a self-paying sleeve patient, I have not been required to attend a seminar that I've seen many talk about on here. I literally went to the doctor/surgeon last Tuesday (8/15) and my surgery is for this Wednesday (8/25). Could you all tell me what Vitamins you're taking? I've read some are taking them immediately after surgery via Patches or the melt in your mouth type and some are not taking them till a few weeks after surgery in pill form. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

What about swimming after surgery? My surgeon knows I'm going on an Island vacation 9 days after surgery and he said it would be ok to get in the Ocean? Were you incisions healed in 9 days? Have any of you been in Water this soon after and did you cover your incision spots with anything?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give. Perhaps i'm just over thinking and a little nervous.

Don't take any Vitamins this close to surgery. Postop I started taking them after a couple weeks.. and I went with powdered ones from GNC. A couple flintstones chewable will get you through until you find out what you need.

As for swimming.. I wouldn't do it. Not only are your incisions barely closed up, but the physical exertion might be too much. Just walk along the water's edge and enjoy getting your footsies wet.

Good luck!

I don't think the vitamin patches work.

I wasn't cleared to submerge anything after surgery at 9 days. I don't remember when it was, but you have to give your incisions time to heal. Also, I was told not to take Vitamins until a month out.

I was 2 weeks out when I started taking (choking down) a bariatric Multivitamin (capsule pulled apart until a month) and calcium citrate (different then regular Calcium carbonate) 500mg 3x per day. Space the multivitamin and calcium 2 hours apart. Your body can't absorb any more than 500 my at a time, nor with the Iron in the multi. No pills bigger than an aspirin. Ask prescribing doc about any extended release pills---can they be halved?
I went into so much detail bc for me the Vitamins and pills were worst part of surgery. I take mine one at a time, pretty much an all day affair.
My doc said no swimming for six weeks, not just bc of incision, but bc of the different pressure under Water. Don't really know what that means, just passing it along.
That doesn't mean you can enjoy the water up to your thighs!
Good luck and enjoy recouping on an island!

I am 20 days out from VSG surgery and just started taking the Bariatric Expert brand Multi-Vitamin, Biotin and D-3 gummies last night. I tolerated them very well. Do anyone else have any experience with these?

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! This helps a lot! I'll def be double the whole getting in the ocean thing. I thought 9 days would be too soon but wanted to see if anyone else had experience. And thank you all for the Vitamin low down. :) Really have appreciated this site thus far.

I was cleared to swim at 3 weeks; I asked at 1 week and was told I needed to wait for the incision to heal. They were also worried about the stress on the system - no lifting, twisting,, etc.

As for Vitamins I take a Multi-Vitamin plus 1000 units of B12. I started the vitamins at 2 weeks...I had to try several to find one that didn't upset my system. The multi is chewable adn the B12 is a sublingual melt. At 6 weeks I was told to add in Calcium and Benefiber.

I've been taking Vitamins, etc., all along, both pre- and post-op (gastric sleeve). I take 2 kids chewable vitamins in the morning (Target/Walmart brand of Flintstone's chewables- NO gummies), then 2 chocolate calcium/vitamin D chews (once again, Target brand of Viactiv) sometime in the late afternoon (don't take at the same time as the vitamins). I also take Biotin (for my hair loss) and omeprazole (PPI for reflux) each day. Once a week I have sublingual B12 (it's a liquid, couldn't find the meltables at Walmart).

I didn't ask specifically about swimming. My surgery was laproscopic, so I was allowed to shower once I went home (day 3 post surgery). I don't remember what they said about tub baths and immersing the incision sites, as I don't tub-bathe. Even if you can submerge your incisions at 9 or whatever days, I'm not sure ocean Water would be the best idea... the salt water wouldn't be bad for you, but I'm not sure what microbes there might be swimming around in there!

I was told no submersion for 6 weeks, but I feel like if you found a clear patch to keep Water from getting to the incisions it would be ok, I would just be careful because the ocean is unforgiving and could easily push you around and you might strain to hard trying to keep upright in the water. That would be hard for me because I love the ocean and swimming.

On 8/21/2017 at 6:46 AM, leebick said:

I've been taking Vitamins, etc., all along, both pre- and post-op (gastric sleeve). I take 2 kids chewable vitamins in the morning (Target/Walmart brand of Flintstone's chewables- NO gummies), then 2 chocolate calcium/vitamin D chews (once again, Target brand of Viactiv) sometime in the late afternoon (don't take at the same time as the vitamins). I also take Biotin (for my hair loss) and omeprazole (PPI for reflux) each day. Once a week I have sublingual B12 (it's a liquid, couldn't find the meltables at Walmart).

I didn't ask specifically about swimming. My surgery was laproscopic, so I was allowed to shower once I went home (day 3 post surgery). I don't remember what they said about tub baths and immersing the incision sites, as I don't tub-bathe. Even if you can submerge your incisions at 9 or whatever days, I'm not sure ocean Water would be the best idea... the salt Water wouldn't be bad for you, but I'm not sure what microbes there might be swimming around in there!

Did your doctor tell you not to take gummy vitamins?

5 hours ago, NeaZoi said:

Did your doctor tell you not to take gummy vitamins?

Yes. Apparently there is research showing that because of the small capacity of a sleeved or bypassed stomach (and the reduced absorptive ability of a bypassed small intestine), less actual Vitamin compound is released and absorbed by a bariatric-redesigned digestive system when the person takes gummy vitamins. It appears that well-chewed chewable vitamins release more Vitamins and minerals into the bloodstream of bariatric patients. I think it makes sense, biophysically. At least, that's how it was explained to me.

Yes, no gummies. Not only can't we absorb the Vitamins as well, but the actual type of vitamins is different in the Gummy formula, and it's a harder-to-digest type. (Like the difference between calciums.. we are supposed to take calcium citrate, but many vitamins use Calcium carbonate).

We were told no swimming for 2 weeks. My incisions are totally closed by day 10 (with 1 exception). My plan was always to use 3m waterproof bandaids if I wanted to swim earlier. I have no pain either and feel great.

We start Vitamins at 2 weeks. I'm using store brand Flintstones complete for now, but they are sort of gross. I wonder if name brand tastes better? I have the Calcium, but I drink a lot of milk and yogurt, so I'm not sure if I will actually take it.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, ToSleeveOrNotToSleeve said:

We were told no swimming for 2 weeks. My incisions are totally closed by day 10 (with 1 exception). My plan was always to use 3m waterproof bandaids if I wanted to swim earlier. I have no pain either and feel great.

We start Vitamins at 2 weeks. I'm using store brand Flintstones complete for now, but they are sort of gross. I wonder if name brand tastes better? I have the Calcium, but I drink a lot of milk and yogurt, so I'm not sure if I will actually take it.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Vitamins- I've done Flintstones, Target brand, Walmart brand. They all taste icky- no wonder my daughter used to hide them when I'd give them to her! I try to chew them with my front teeth only, then swallow with Water. It minimizes the taste and they don't get stuck in my teeth as much.

Calcium- TAKE IT! You probably already don't get enough, and with the reduced amount of food you'll eat, there's no way you'll get enough calcium/D. Get the store brand of Viactiv (I get mine at Target) and take it NOT when you take your regular Vitamins. I actually look forward to my two chocolate chews in the evening- note I said CHOCOLATE! It's like a treat in the evening, a replacement for dessert, something that tastes pretty good while being good for me (required, even)!