Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2-3 weeks out, beginning soft solids

How are people doing starting soft foods?

My nutritionist has us after 2 weeks, trying soft foods 1/4 cup a day. First, I puréed a peanut vegetable stew and that was wonderful. Next I tried one of the bariatric cheese and refried bean bakes. And that went down well too. I'm following the nutritionist instructions and taking a fingernail size bite and chewing it like 30 times til it kind of melts.

The next day, I was waiting for my daughter's camp to be done and drinking camomile tea in a bagel place. I decided to order some lox (smoked salmon) which I knew I would waste, but I took tiny fingernail sized bites and let them melt in my mouth. Total amount I ate in that half hour was about one inch square piece of smoked salmon. All of a sudden I had my first wave of nausea since surgery about 17 days ago. I got scared. But it slowly passed and i walked some after and felt fine.

was it because of the tiny amount of fish? Or was it because I forgot to stop sipping the tea while I ate solids? First time "eating" in public so I got distracted.

today I am trying my beloved scrambled eggs in butter. I puréed them after scrambling, put them in a 1oz container, and for the last 45 mins have been taking tiny bites. I really want to NOT be among those who can't digest eggs after. It's my favorite food. I am maybe 3/4 done with 1 oz and since it's been nearly an hour, I will stop here. So far so good.

How are the other July sleevers doing, trying solids?

(Also - I am not getting quite enough Water and sometimes getting enough Protein. And I have not lost weight in a week or so. I have lost inches though.)

I was sleeved on the 14th of July. I've been able to eat like cooked salmon, scrambled eggs, boiled chicken, refried Beans, string cheese, greek yogurt, meatballs and really soft stuff. I have noticed that my stomach can't tolerate sharp cheddar cheese because anytime I have put that on beans or eggs to melt...i get a pain in my stomach...Also, I need to remember to slow down and take smaller bites because when I don't, I get these painful cramping things in my stomach...its like a few stabbing pains like my stomach letting me know it didnt like it and then it goes away a minute or two after.

I am not drinking nearly enough liquids as I should and not getting enough Protein in. I've been at a stall for a week and ahalf.

I need to be better about my liquids and protein and walk more.

2 hours ago, sleevedshereen said:

need to be better about my liquids and Protein and walk more.

I am right there with you, I was sleeved on the 28th and just starting soft foods today. So far I was able to get yogurt in but I think I had too much - I had stabbing pains in my back with the last few bites. I guess that's my stomach's new way of saying STOPPPPPPPPPPPP.

I am finding it hard to get enough fluids and protein in, while trying to eat every few hours. My NUT wanted us to go to 1 Protein Shake a day (ISO 2) when we start soft foods but there is no way I can do that - I would be so short protein.

Today is really the first day I had the stamina to take a 30 min walk. I am hoping that in a few days with some more calories and protein I will have more energy to start moving!

@mytime4me I totally agree with you! Maybe my energy levels will increase when I increase liquids and Protein. :/

22 hours ago, GotProlactinoma said:

How are people doing starting soft foods?

My nutritionist has us after 2 weeks, trying soft foods 1/4 cup a day. First, I puréed a peanut vegetable stew and that was wonderful. Next I tried one of the bariatric cheese and refried bean bakes. And that went down well too. I'm following the nutritionist instructions and taking a fingernail size bite and chewing it like 30 times til it kind of melts.

The next day, I was waiting for my daughter's camp to be done and drinking camomile tea in a bagel place. I decided to order some lox (smoked salmon) which I knew I would waste, but I took tiny fingernail sized bites and let them melt in my mouth. Total amount I ate in that half hour was about one inch square piece of smoked salmon. All of a sudden I had my first wave of nausea since surgery about 17 days ago. I got scared. But it slowly passed and i walked some after and felt fine.

was it because of the tiny amount of fish? Or was it because I forgot to stop sipping the tea while I ate solids? First time "eating" in public so I got distracted.

today I am trying my beloved scrambled eggs in butter. I puréed them after scrambling, put them in a 1oz container, and for the last 45 mins have been taking tiny bites. I really want to NOT be among those who can't digest eggs after. It's my favorite food. I am maybe 3/4 done with 1 oz and since it's been nearly an hour, I will stop here. So far so good.

How are the other July sleevers doing, trying solids?

(Also - I am not getting quite enough Water and sometimes getting enough Protein. And I have not lost weight in a week or so. I have lost inches though.)

You mentioned you ate for 45 minutes. I am told to stop after 20 minutes, so interesting how plans vary. I was not allowed eggs till 4weeks+ I loved it! They prefer people to wait till 6 weeks due to alot of people having issues with it, but they said it was fine for me to try , it was a dream.

Congrats on your journey so far :) I had surgery 4th July, and liquids are a battle for me lol.

Edited by dreamingsmall