Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many ounces do you eat per day and how far out?

I'm 5 weeks out.

Breakfast: 3ounces

Lunch: 3ounces

dinner made two 2 ounce containers so just ate 1. So 2 ounces.

I could eat again later. But I don't know if I should.

So interested to see how much everyone else's eating and how far out and how often.

3 months out and I'm finding my stomach's capacity erratic.

I've had up to 5 ounces (by weight) of dense food like steak or chicken and 5 ounces (by volume) of things like yogurt and felt totally fine, possibly could have more but don't want to push it. But, I've also had meals lately where I've only had 2 ounces (by weight) of food and felt totally full (even though I hadn't eaten in hours).

Edited by PAstudent

2 years out, I eat a pound of meat a day 4-5 ounces at a time, plus other stuff.

This is why we have "goals". You eat as many times a day as necessary to meet those goals. If you are eating 3oz, 3x's a day of dense Protein (7g/oz.), then you are getting approx. 63g protein for the day.

For example: 2 eggs weighs 3oz, but only have 14g protein, so it's not a "dense" meal. At 5 weeks out, none of your protein is likely "dense" except maybe tuna.

This is why early on we drink Liquid Protein to meet our goals. You should also expect to need to eat 4-6 times a day long term (if you hope to avoid protein shakes).

I am 1 year and 1 month out I still have restriction big time however I notice I can eat more in one sitting or more frequently than I could 3-6-9 mos out. Last night I baked lemon pepper cod with roasted broccoli and sweet potato (instead of carrots) and Brown rice.

Depending on how I plan to eat determines how much of what foods I can eat. Because I really really wanted some vegetables, I know I can't eat 3 oz of Protein in that sitting. So depending on how well I did with protein earlier in the day... determines what I will focus on in that meal. Soooo now that my protein goals are like 45g a day its easier for me to focus on other food groups during meals.

I was able to eat:

2 oz of the Cod

1/4 cup of broccoli and sweet potato

2 tsp of rice

At 6 or 9 mos out I would have only eaten the Cod. I would have been full at 2 oz and put it away. I may have eaten the other 1 oz in the morning for breakfast or made it into one of my Snacks during the day. Boy what a difference!

One year out I don't push it. My goal is to consume no more than 2-3 oz of lean protein during meals, 1/4 cup of veggies and unless I just have to have it (which I don't) I try not to push it with the starches. If I'm really feeling starchy I'll have the rice with my lean protein instead of the veggie and eat the veggie later as a snack. I do have desert occasionally but usually I steer clear of sweets until that time of the month when I sometimes crave sweets and fruit just wont do. Like the other day hubby and I went out for date night I didn't eat dinner although I'd beyond hit my protein goals for the day and opted to share a desert. After 3 bites I was done. It stopped being good and my sweet tooth was satisfied.

I'm a year and a half out and I can only eat up to about, 3 to 4 ounces at a time. If I'm eating meat, it's a less than that, usually, I will cut up a chicken breast and eat it as a snack or

This week:

Breakfast - Greek Oikos

Snack: P3 (Nuts and Jerky) - A snack size cheese

Lunch: Protein Bar (Premiere)

Snack: Cucumber w/ Light Ranch and a touch of sea salt w/ an Ostrim (Ostrich) Stick (So, good!)

Dinner: Chicken or Fish w/ a veggie

Snack: sugar free Jello

Every week, I like to switch things up so things will not get boring. lol

Edited by heycrystal2052

On 07/08/2017 at 3:22 PM, Berry78 said:

This is why we have "goals". You eat as many times a day as necessary to meet those goals. If you are eating 3oz, 3x's a day of dense Protein (7g/oz.), then you are getting approx. 63g Protein for the day.

For example: 2 eggs weighs 3oz, but only have 14g protein, so it's not a "dense" meal. At 5 weeks out, none of your protein is likely "dense" except maybe tuna.

This is why early on we drink Liquid Protein to meet our goals. You should also expect to need to eat 4-6 times a day long term (if you hope to avoid protein shakes).

Well. I have been told by my nurse and nut to eat 3 times a day. not to aim for a protien goal. I am 5 weeks out, went to see surgeon, bariatric nurse,phisio and dietician. and i was told to eat 3 times a day and not to use protien shakes, and now to go onto normal food, so its hard to figure out how i can have the right amount of protein in 3 4ounce meals . and your right nothing was dense, i am moving on to normal food today i dont even know were to start!!

im in the uk by the way and we are not focused on protien and low carb, its just they want me to have a balanced diet and swollow all my vits. im so confused.

thanks for your help!

14 hours ago, heycrystal2052 said:

I'm a year and a half out and I can only eat up to about, 3 to 4 ounces at a time. If I'm eating meat, it's a less than that, usually, I will cut up a chicken breast and eat it as a snack or

This week:

Breakfast - Greek Oikos

Snack: P3 (Nuts and Jerky) - A snack size cheese

Lunch: Protein Bar (Premiere)

Snack: Cucumber w/ Light Ranch and a touch of sea salt w/ an Ostrim (Ostrich) Stick (So, good!)

Dinner: chicken or Fish w/ a veggie

Snack: sugar free Jello

Every week, I like to switch things up so things will not get boring. lol

thanks for writin what you eat this is good to see a break down. i am 5 weeks out and they are saying now i am moving to normal food i should do 3x 4 ounce meals and thats it! i feel i am already going to fail as i know il be hungry i love ranch and i will ty that with cucumber.

17 hours ago, Candygyrl said:

I am 1 year and 1 month out I still have restriction big time however I notice I can eat more in one sitting or more frequently than I could 3-6-9 mos out. Last night I baked lemon pepper cod with roasted broccoli and sweet potato (instead of carrots) and Brown rice.

Depending on how I plan to eat determines how much of what foods I can eat. Because I really really wanted some vegetables, I know I can't eat 3 oz of Protein in that sitting. So depending on how well I did with Protein earlier in the day... determines what I will focus on in that meal. Soooo now that my protein goals are like 45g a day its easier for me to focus on other food groups during meals.

I was able to eat:

2 oz of the Cod

1/4 cup of broccoli and sweet potato

2 tsp of rice

At 6 or 9 mos out I would have only eaten the Cod. I would have been full at 2 oz and put it away. I may have eaten the other 1 oz in the morning for breakfast or made it into one of my Snacks during the day. Boy what a difference!

One year out I don't push it. My goal is to consume no more than 2-3 oz of lean protein during meals, 1/4 cup of veggies and unless I just have to have it (which I don't) I try not to push it with the starches. If I'm really feeling starchy I'll have the rice with my lean protein instead of the veggie and eat the veggie later as a snack. I do have desert occasionally but usually I steer clear of sweets until that time of the month when I sometimes crave sweets and fruit just wont do. Like the other day hubby and I went out for date night I didn't eat dinner although I'd beyond hit my protein goals for the day and opted to share a desert. After 3 bites I was done. It stopped being good and my sweet tooth was satisfied.

This is a great detailed info thank you!! and amazing to hear you still have restriction! i am now starting normal food today and thinking how i will fit in veg with my meat lol so i was going to do some beef and then some fresh spinach with ranch see how that goes! and amazinng your hitting your protien goals! :)

3 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

Well. I have been told by my nurse and nut to eat 3 times a day. not to aim for a protien goal. I am 5 weeks out, went to see surgeon, bariatric nurse,phisio and dietician. and i was told to eat 3 times a day and not to use protien shakes, and now to go onto normal food, so its hard to figure out how i can have the right amount of Protein in 3 4ounce meals . and your right nothing was dense, i am moving on to normal food today i dont even know were to start!!

im in the uk by the way and we are not focused on protien and low carb, its just they want me to have a balanced diet and swollow all my vits. im so confused.

thanks for your help!

Of course you are confused. Your program tells you one thing, but others in the world are doing something else.

My take on it:

Because we had surgery, we CAN eat 9oz of food a day and get away with it.. from a hunger standpoint. But, we are still humans that need nutrition to function optimally. Sure, our fat stores give us energy, but there is more to nutrition than energy content.

Vitamins are great, but those pills don't contain everything.

The average sedentary female needs a minimum of 46g of protein so as to not become deficient. Please count your protein at least to make sure you are above this number.

Here is an example of a "healthy" diet someone may adopt:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1/4 cup milk: 5g protein

Lunch: 2oz chicken on a slice of bread with side salad: 15g protein

Dinner: 3oz meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans: 15g protein

Total: 35g protein.. less than the minimum requirement for anyone other than a small child.

3 balanced meals works for people that can eat more than 4oz at a meal.. so perhaps at a year out it might work.

Your program is thinking long term.. get you used to eating the way you need to eat forever. But, they are letting you run short on things in the meantime.

Why most of us are "low carb" is because after we meet our protein, veggie, fruit, and calorie goals, there simply isn't room for extra starches.

We lose weight postop because we eat fewer calories than our bodies burn. Period. Our challenge is to fit as much nutrition into that limited number of calories as possible (and limited stomach space as well!).

We still need as many Proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, and Water as anyone else... we just don't need 2000 calories during the losing phase.

This is why we have "goals". You eat as many times a day as necessary to meet those goals. If you are eating 3oz, 3x's a day of dense Protein (7g/oz.), then you are getting approx. 63g protein for the day.
For example: 2 eggs weighs 3oz, but only have 14g protein, so it's not a "dense" meal. At 5 weeks out, none of your protein is likely "dense" except maybe tuna.< br> This is why early on we drink liquid protein to meet our goals. You should also expect to need to eat 4-6 times a day long term (if you hope to avoid protein shakes).

What is your protein goal? My nutritionist told us 60 oz a day is or goal which I'm meeting and she said after 6 weeks no more Protein Shakes. I'm just curious if others protein goals are different?

My goal is 70g/day. My local surgeon has his patients on a 60g/day goal. (He wasn't my surgeon). To me, 60-70 is fine. If you are really strength training, or a tall, muscular man, or something else that I'm not.. you may have much higher goals. DS patients need at least 120g.

I have been reaching my goal since week 3 without Protein Shakes (by relying heavily on dairy during the first couple months, now I eat meat and whatnot).

I'm 6 weeks out. I just met with nutritionist. Said to increase my calories to 1,200 over time, as tolerated and keep Protein between 60 and 80g/day. I can usually handle 2.5-3 oz of protein and a few bites of veg/fruit per meal or snack. My typical calorie intake is between 750 and 900.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app