Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Totally random question - pleaseeeeee

It is my Nieces 8th bday party tomorrow and it is 1130pm here.

I kindly volunteered to make a heap of things for it, one of them being mini pizzas.

I was going to use English muffins but they are a bit dear here for how many you get.

I was thinking of making the base with a pastry. I just want to know if anyone knows if this will work?

Will the pastry once cooked be "strong" enough to be a hand held food.< /p>

If so what sort of pastry? I have only cooked with puff pastry before and I know that wont work.

Any ideas etc will really be appreciated pleaseeeee....

Any other ideas will be appreciated too.

Thanks guys

make your own english muffins!

1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon shortening

1 cup hot Water

1 envelope dry yeast

1/8 teaspoon sugar

1/3 cup warm water

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted

Non-stick vegetable spray

Special equipment: electric griddle, 3-inch metal rings, In a bowl combine the powdered milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, shortening, and hot water, stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool. In a separate bowl combine the yeast and 1/8 teaspoon of sugar in 1/3 cup of warm water and rest until yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture. Add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.

Preheat the griddle to 300 degrees F.

Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with vegetable spray. Using #20 ice cream scoop, place 2 scoops into each ring and cover with a pot lid or cookie sheet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and flip rings using tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack, remove rings and cool. Split with fork and serve.

*Cook's Note: Small tuna cans with tops and bottoms removed work well for metal rings.

It's probably a little late now, but I would have recommended biscuit dough. My dad used to do that when he made pizza. My mom makes home-made dough that's much better, but the biscuit dough works too. :eek:

Or.. the canned crescent rolls. I've always been partial to them, I have a billion recipes using them to make something a hand-held food.< /p>

I use them to make a mini-quiche thing for family cook outs.

Would make a good pizza too!

I make it with swiss cheese and pieces of ham.

But you use a mini-muffin pan, squish pieces of crescent roll into the bottom of each, then top with whatever you want and bake for 10 minutes.

Could put a spoon of marinara, pinch of mozzerella and ta-da!

Gawd, does EVERYTHING come in a can there? pizza dough? Lol.

We're not quite that advanced here, sorry guys. And biscuits are Cookies, we dont have the other kind of biscuits either.

Kel, pizza dough is so easy, just make proper pizza dough. I only do it in the breadmaker, so the recipe wouldnt be right, but google one, its pretty much like a scone dough with yeast, which is not at all scary and very easy. Or buy a few frozen pizza bases (but I dont like them, they're too thick for me) and use a cookie cutter to cut smaller bases from them.

Or.. the canned crescent rolls. I've always been partial to them, I have a billion recipes using them to make something a hand-held food.< p>I use them to make a mini-quiche thing for family cook outs.

Would make a good pizza too!

I make it with swiss cheese and pieces of ham.

But you use a mini-muffin pan, squish pieces of crescent roll into the bottom of each, then top with whatever you want and bake for 10 minutes.

Could put a spoon of marinara, pinch of mozzerella and ta-da!

That sounds really good Laura. And probably a couple would be the perfect meal.

Gawd, does EVERYTHING come in a can there? pizza dough? Lol.
Ayup. And all of our dough from a can tastes the exact same. Croissants, Pizza Crust, bread rolls, garlic breadsticks - all tastes like one generic product (not to be confused with "good").

We've hit a new point of laziness. When the tubes of cookie dough became available, and then the separated pre-packaged Cookies, I "perdicted" it was only a matter of time before you just went to the store and bought a disposable baking sheet that had preformed Cookies on it... just peel, bake, toss and done. Well, guess what I saw a commercial for the other day...

(why don't I patent these ideas??)

If you don't have the time for dough, minibagels (think I saw those suggested), or how about petit toast? My mom uses those for her xmas pizzas and they do a nice job.

The canned biscuit idea is a good one! You can make mini pizzas in a muffin pan (like Lauraj23 said). They are delish! But I haven't been able to eat bread since being banded......

Thanks everyone for all your replies, but as Jacqui said we dont have any of that stuff.

I am going to google a recipe and see if I have time to make it from scratch.

I wish we had all that stuff in a can for times like this thats for sure...

Thanks again everyone

Oh dear.

I didn't realize Australia didn't have all that stuff?!

I went there for foreign exchange when I was 15, and I swear I didn't eat for a month. All the meat tasted like minty.. no matter what it was, or how it was cooked.

And then some big fluffy pastry type cake with cocktail fruit in it.. blech. And vegimite?!

I could have saved some lap-band money and moved there for a year :o

I did find it very interesting the difference in foods there.

And coca-cola in Australia was not yummy either.