Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I'm about three weeks post-op. The journey has been tough, yet enlightening so far. Just joined the site, and love to see all the feedback from everyone. I do have a question. I know not having an appetite is normal, but when does that fade? Any suggestions on what Protein to start with without doing the shakes?

I'm in the same boat as you as far as appetite. I figured I would have to force myself to eat after surgery but I get hungry throughout the day.

Do you have a NUT at your doctor's office that would give you a post op diet? Until you are on soft/pureed , you really don't get Protein unless you drink shakes. I can't stomach powders or shakes from powder, so I use Premier Protein RTD drinks from costco or Wal mart. They are easy to get down and taste good. I add About 4oz of cold brew Decaf coffee to my vanilla or caramel and it tastes just like a starbucks iced latte.

I'm 3 weeks post op...I do Protein Shakes - I also have greek yogurts and refried Beans with cheese and to treat myself....wait for it....I take a spoon of Peanut Butter and lick it....lol it's bomb, refreshing since I was on liquids forever and I get more Protein in...just some suggestions - hopefully the expert sleevers don't criticize me for this lol.

45 minutes ago, sleevedshereen said:

I'm 3 weeks post op...I do Protein Shakes - I also have greek yogurts and refried Beans with cheese and to treat myself....wait for it....I take a spoon of Peanut Butter and lick it....lol it's bomb, refreshing since I was on liquids forever and I get more Protein in...just some suggestions - hopefully the expert sleevers don't criticize me for this lol.

Mmmmmm refried beans! I melt some mild cheddar on mine and then a good dose of Frank's Red Hot.

5 hours ago, Fredmeister said:

I'm in the same boat as you as far as appetite. I get hungry throughout the day.

that's.... not the boat the OP is in. :unsure:

My surgery will be 3 weeks ago on Thursday. All docs are different. Mine has us do 3 phases of 2 weeks each. I'm in phase 2 now, "very soft foods". But I still need the Protein Shakes, Greek yogurt, etc to make up the Protein I need. The food is such small portions that I'm not able to get enough protein out of it.

Food I can eat right now is 2 ounce servings of one of these: scrambled egg whites (Egg Beaters), cottage cheese, potatoes, Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, refried Beans, stuff like that.

Hope this helps!

7 hours ago, JohnnyCakes said:

that's.... not the boat the OP is in. :unsure:

LOL oops! Small font on the tablet strikes again. Missed the "not" part.

I am 5 weeks post-op and I still don't have an appetite. Once I started eating foods (about 3 weeks ago) I started to get a little hungry around meal times but that seemed to only last about a week. Now I have to force myself to eat. I can't do the Protein Shakes, they don't agree with me. Instead I drink Isopure Protein Drinks (the Protein Water kind). There's 40g of protein and 160 calories in one 20oz bottle. They are very filmy (to me at least) so I have to water them down. I do about a 50/50 ratio of Isopure to water. I also have to force myself to drink too though. Some days I do really well and get in 50g of protein (what is recommended by my surgeon) but other days I struggle to get in 30g. The protein drinks and whey protein powders give me major stomach cramps so it makes it hard.

14 hours ago, LaLa Ladybug said:

My surgery will be 3 weeks ago on Thursday. All docs are different. Mine has us do 3 phases of 2 weeks each. I'm in phase 2 now, "very soft foods". But I still need the Protein Shakes, Greek yogurt, etc to make up the Protein I need. The food is such small portions that I'm not able to get enough Protein out of it.

food I can eat right now is 2 ounce servings of one of these: scrambled egg whites (Egg Beaters), cottage cheese, potatoes, Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, refried Beans, stuff like that.

Hope this helps!

That is what my Dr. wants me on too. I guess i shouldn't worry about the protein amount right now. Thank you!

My surgery was in July 5th. I was also worried about the Protein. My surgeon said not to worry if I can't get it all in at this time. Just eat what I can. Stopping eating when satisfied is more important right now. He said if three months down the road I can't get it in he might worry, but not now and to definitely keep up the Protein Shakes and all of my Vitamins. I was so relieved when he said that!

My surgery was a week ago and today is the first time I've craved anything. One of my friends opened up a chicken & waffles food truck. He has the most amazing chicken I've ever had. I visited him. I want some of that damn chicken. I can't wait until I can eat solids! But, thankfully, I haven't been hungry or craving anything otherwise!

Surgery Date: August 9th

HW: 235

SW: 220

CW: 212

Goal Weight: 140

On 8/16/2017 at 4:55 AM, Losing in NWAR said:

My surgery was a week ago and today is the first time I've craved anything. One of my friends opened up a chicken & waffles food truck. He has the most amazing chicken I've ever had. I visited him. I want some of that damn chicken. I can't wait until I can eat solids! But, thankfully, I haven't been hungry or craving anything otherwise!

CW: 212

Congrats on the surgery! You know I haven't had any cravings yet. At 4 weeks i'm starting to get hungry at dinner time only. I've never had chicken and waffles before. Resist that damn chicken!

Congrats on the surgery! You know I haven't had any cravings yet. At 4 weeks i'm starting to get hungry at dinner time only. I've never had chicken and waffles before. Resist that damn chicken!

Gosh, I haven't had any except that. It's difficult because it's literally the best chicken I've ever had! If you ever make it to Northwest Arkansas it's a stop you should make!

CW: 210