Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm talking to a couple of people that are close to me about the surgery. I sworn I wouldn't tell anyone but I think these people deserve to know. Anyway they were talking about did I start adding more squats and weights in my workout routine? I said kinda but not really why do you ask. They told me I was going to lose my figure and have to build it back up. I don't think that's true but then again I don't know I never lost more than 20 pounds in my entire life.

Tiffani

So I'm talking to a couple of people that are close to me about the surgery. I sworn I wouldn't tell anyone but I think these people deserve to know. Anyway they were talking about did I start adding more squats and weights in my workout routine? I said kinda but not really why do you ask. They told me I was going to lose my figure and have to build it back up. I don't think that's true but then again I don't know I never lost more than 20 pounds in my entire life.
Tiffani[emoji1528][emoji757]️[emoji175]

They're right - a good workout strength training regimen will be helpful to mold the body while you're in the accelerated weight loss phase.
I personally can't wait for clearance to get back to my boot camp style training after my 6 week checkup. For now - I am allowed moderate/low incline walking on treadmill or outdoors.

1 hour ago, QueenTiff said:

Tiffani

People that say that ish are just haters.

I went from an apple to an hourglass. I walk and do yoga. I do weights some of the time but not really. I have way more muscle mass than a person who was never obese because I was obese and my body had to adapt to carry it. I don't have to add muscle just maintain what I already have.

The people that look like who did it and what for post-op either were bad bodied from jump and nothing was going to save them, or they ate the bare minimum Protein and it shows. You can always see it all in their face.

If you have a figure you will still have a figure. I had a big stomach that overshadowed my breasts, hips and butt. When I lost the stomach all of that was able to shine. And yes I lost all over, but I still am shapely. People can still be shapely and be smaller. All you have to do is be proportionate.

None of this is to discourage you from working out or adding weights etc but losing weight should not equate a fear of losing your figure.

Those are just things that people tell you to hold you back, project their own feelings on you, usually because they are afraid you will be smaller and more attractive than them.

I am all for being body positive but this idea that obesity is curves is lunacy.

People that say that ish are just haters.
I went from an apple to an hourglass. I walk and do yoga. I do weights some of the time but not really. I have way more muscle mass than a person who was never obese because I was obese and my body had to adapt to carry it. I don't have to add muscle just maintain what I already have.
The people that look like who did it and what for post-op either were bad bodied from jump and nothing was going to save them, or they ate the bare minimum Protein and it shows. You can always see it all in their face.
If you have a figure you will still have a figure. I had a big stomach that overshadowed my breasts, hips and butt. When I lost the stomach all of that was able to shine. And yes I lost all over, but I still am shapely. People can still be shapely and be smaller. All you have to do is be proportionate.
None of this is to discourage you from working out or adding weights etc but losing weight should not equate a fear of losing your figure.
Those are just things that people tell you to hold you back, project their own feelings on you, usually because they are afraid you will be smaller and more attractive than them.
I am all for being body positive but this idea that obesity is curves is lunacy.

Yeah I agree I have a lot of curves but I never been small I guess. So I don't think that being obese means you have curves not at all but I do think like you said some people just lose it all. I carry my weight well but I understand

48 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Yep. You hit the nail on the head.

My friend and I were both sleeved and reached our goal weights. However, her family members (most of whom are badly overweight, by the way) have been unsupportive.

They tried to discourage her from having surgery in the first place even though she had a heart problem, diabetes, hypothyroidism, and high blood pressure controlled by 5 different medications.

Why did they not want her to be sleeved? "You might lose your curves," they all shouted.

Now that most of her health problems have resolved and she's at her goal weight, they all holler that she's "too skinny with no curves" although her weight of 145 pounds places her at the upper limits of a normal BMI for her height of 5'5. She's a size 8, which is not too skinny unless your views on body image are warped.

Take a look at the people insisting you'll lose your curves:

1. They're all overweight and focus on you instead of their own problems.
  2. They fixate on looks and aesthetics rather than improved health.
  3. Some of them secretly hope you don't lose enough weight.
  4. Some of them even secretly hope you regain the weight.

To be honest, I enjoy being normal-weight over having a curvaceous booty and nice-sized breasts any day of the week. Some of my friends' relatives talk behind my back and say I had a better shape when I was heavy, but every single one of these haters needs to look in the mirror at their own ruined overweight bodies.

The concern-trolls are not truly concerned. They're insecure and should mind their own business.

@QueenTiff

Currently I am smaller than I have ever been. I am smaller than I was when I was a freshman in HS, partially because I am just smaller and also because I am about 2 inches taller.

I had no idea what to expect when losing weight because I had never lost more than 30-50 pounds and had never dropped a size really.

I went from a tight size 28, loose size 30 to a perfect size 10 in almost all brands of dress. Size 8 top, size 10 on the bottom.

You don't have your information filled out so I have no idea where you are starting or how long you have been large.

I really never imagined I would be shaped like this, but now I am built just like my aunts and I actually fit in with my family.

Just lose the weight and see where you are. Work out if you want to, go hard if you want to, but don't fear losing weight thinking you are going to lose your femininity.

Also being curvy and "looking good" is not going to save someone from metabolic disease, diabtetes, heart issues, skin issues, etc.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

6 minutes ago, Introversion said:

Take a look at the people insisting you'll lose your curves:

1. They're all overweight and focus on you instead of their own problems.
  2. They fixate on looks and aesthetics rather than improved health.
  3. Some of them secretly hope you don't lose enough weight.
  4. Some of them even secretly hope you regain the weight.

To be honest, I enjoy being normal-weight over having a curvaceous booty and nice-sized breasts any day of the week. Some of my friends' relatives talk behind my back and say I had a better shape when I was heavy, but every single one of these haters needs to look in the mirror at their own ruined overweight bodies.

The concern-trolls are not truly concerned. They're insecure and should mind their own business.

When I told my friends I was having surgery to lose weight. They all congratulated me on taking control of my health and supported me in getting healthier. Not one person said some dumb ish about my shape or how I would look or losing my boobs.

People that really love you want you to live, and be around to share this life with them.

[mention=323405]QueenTiff[/mention]
Currently I am smaller than I have ever been. I am smaller than I was when I was a freshman in HS, partially because I am just smaller and also because I am about 2 inches taller.
I had no idea what to expect when losing weight because I had never lost more than 30-50 pounds and had never dropped a size really.
I went from a tight size 28, loose size 30 to a perfect size 10 in almost all brands of dress. Size 8 top, size 10 on the bottom.
You don't have your information filled out so I have no idea where you are starting or how long you have been large.
I really never imagined I would be shaped like this, but now I am built just like my aunts and I actually fit in with my family.
Just lose the weight and see where you are. Work out if you want to, go hard if you want to, but don't fear losing weight thinking you are going to lose your femininity.
Also being curvy and "looking good" is not going to save someone from metabolic disease, diabtetes, heart issues, skin issues, etc.

I'm 352 pounds I wear a normal size of 26/24 and some of my family is supportive some aren't it's perfectly fine with me. I do care about being healthy and all for it. I don't think there is anything wrong being curvy. You told me you still have some curves which is good. I already have a surgery date so I'm going through with it. Not all obese people have curves some have nothing and not all skinny people have curves some skinny people looks like sticks. I personally like curves I'm 23 so I would say I care about being healthy but I also care about looking great.

1 minute ago, QueenTiff said:

I'm 23 so I would say I care about being healthy but I also care about looking great.

Good health always takes precedence over curves and looks.

Many of the women who receive dialysis three times per week still have their curves and look great, yet they're going to die young. Many women who have had major strokes look great and have curves, but their weight problem placed them at increased risk.

Great looks and curves don't mean much when you stick your finger 4 times a day and shoot insulin to prevent blindness, kidney disease, heart problems and nerve damage associated with diabetes.

Great looks and a curvy body won't help when one is told she must undergo a bilateral knee replacement and weeks of therapy because the 300+ pound body wore the joints down over the years.

It is time to ignore the people in your life who prioritize 'curves' over improved health. I'll bet top dollar that many of them aren't truly concerned...they're envious.

Good health always takes precedence over curves and looks.
Many of the women who receive dialysis three times per week still have their curves and look great, yet they're going to die young. Many women who have had major strokes look great and have curves, but their weight problem placed them at increased risk.
Great looks and curves don't mean much when you stick your finger 4 times a day and shoot insulin to prevent blindness, kidney disease, heart problems and nerve damage associated with diabetes.
Great looks and a curvy body won't help when one is told she must undergo a bilateral knee replacement and weeks of therapy because the 300+ pound body wore the joints down over the years.
It is time to ignore the people in your life who prioritize 'curves' over improved health. I'll bet top dollar that many of them aren't truly concerned...they're envious.

I feel like you're trying to shame people for wanting to have curves. I understand where you're coming from when it comes to taking a stand over your life and choosing health over being comfortable. I get it 100 percent. But I don't think there is anything wrong with knowing you're losing weight and getting healthy and also having curves. You can't tie curves to being unhealthy. I'm already pretty healthy but I want to be even more healthy and smaller. And change my life around.

36 minutes ago, QueenTiff said:

I feel like you're trying to shame people for wanting to have curves.

Nope. I don't engage in any type of shaming as it's not worth expending my energy to do something so negative to others. However, health will always trump curves and I stand by my views.

Be mindful that intangible aspects of communication such as tone and facial expression cannot be properly conveyed in written mediums such as message boards.

I don't actually have some curves, I have a lot of curves. My waist to hip ratio is .74 and I wear a 34G/F.

My friend had RNY several years ago, and decided to stop her weight loss at 255 before she decided she was fine at that point but at 5'3, she still qualified for surgery and was still morbidly obese. Fast forward she has gained back to 300. All because she wanted to keep some curves.

Meanwhile I am cuvier than her because my waist is well defined. My breasts stick of far past my stomach.

Pam Grier is probably the best classic hourglass I can think of. Her body was amazing in the 70s, and she had a face to match. Her measurements were 40 28 40. I am not quite there. I need to lose a couple inches of my waist and hips to get there but that is what being curvy at a healthy weight looks like. No one in their right mind would ever say that she isn't curvy.

You can still easily be a brick house at a normal weight.

Pam-Grier1.jpg

1971-circa-pam-grier.jpg

16216608_1_x.jpg

Nope. I don't engage in any type of shaming as it's not worth expending my energy to do something so negative to others. However, health will always trump curves and I stand by my views.
Be mindful that intangible aspects of communication such as tone and facial expression cannot be properly conveyed in written mediums such as message boards.

Yes face to face communication is one of the best ways to communicate. Meanwhile you can analyze messages through words. I have a communication degree I know all about it. You can definitely stand by what you believe and I agree with you somewhat but not completely.

I don't actually have some curves, I have a lot of curves. My waist to hip ratio is .74 and I wear a 34G/F.
My friend had RNY several years ago, and decided to stop her weight loss at 255 before she decided she was fine at that point but at 5'3, she still qualified for surgery and was still morbidly obese. Fast forward she has gained back to 300. All because she wanted to keep some curves.
Meanwhile I am cuvier than her because my waist is well defined. My breasts stick of far past my stomach.
Pam Grier is probably the best classic hourglass I can think of. Her body was amazing in the 70s, and she had a face to match. Her measurements were 40 28 40. I am not quite there. I need to lose a couple inches of my waist and hips to get there but that is what being curvy at a healthy weight looks like. No one in their right mind would ever say that she isn't curvy.
You can still easily be a brick house at a normal weight.

Pam-Grier1.jpg
1971-circa-pam-grier.jpg

16216608_1_x.jpg

I don't think there is such thing as a normal weight but I see exactly what you are saying. She did look good and that's all I wanted to know. If some people had a figure after surgery and if some people don't and if they didn't what did they do to get the figure they desired.

Yes face to face communication is one of the best ways to communicate. Meanwhile you can analyze messages through words. I have a communication degree I know all about it. You can definitely stand by what you believe and I agree with you somewhat but not completely.

In 53 and definitely care about my looks as well as my health. The older I get the more it's about health but there's a good dose of vanity in there for me as well. If vanity gets you to healthy it's a win win. No telling what you might look like when you lose weight but you're young and can work out and hey, there's always plastics.