Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Return to Work

How long did others have to take off from work? I am hoping to take only 4 days. Is this unreasonable? I really don't want to use all of my time. Especially with the "new me" waiting to come for the summer.

Everyone is different. Have you had any kind of surgery before, to know how you react to surgery and/or anesthesia? This is laproscopic and that helps w/recovery time.

I took five days off work, but I was pretty miserable when I got back, so I went home for a couple more days. I got a bronchial infection, which didn't help much, but even without the bronchial infection I felt pretty lousy (bandwise) for almost 2 weeks.

If I remember correctly, I took a week off of work. But I have a job that requires a lot of walking. If I had a pure desk job, I might have been able to return one day sooner. My post-operative course was also much easier than many people's. I didn't have any pain, for example, whereas some people have a lot of gas pain. Remember, too, you won't be taking in a lot of nutrition those first few days. That impacts on your energy level.

Nancy

I'm an OR nurse. I haven't had my band yet (january 27th, yippee). Your time off depends on your activity at work. I've already had my gallbladder out (laparoscopically), back in 1998. I took a full week off work, because I lift over 15 pounds consistently thoughout the day. And I'm on my feet 8-12 hours a day. A week was good for a job with so many strenuous acts. Hope this helps

I have a big-butt desk job. The gas and gurgling were just awful so sitting in chair was miserable. Make sure to wear loose clothes! Anything binding was awful.

I took 2 weeks because I travel and lift heavy suitcases all the time. By the end of the first week, I was a new person. I could have gone earlier, but I'm real glad I had the time to concentrate on getting my walking in daily and focus on my liquids. Just remember, some folks' worst day is around day 4 or 5. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I bet binding clothes would totally suck to wear for a while. THank God I wear scrubs! Is the gas pains (not the shoulder) in the abdomen real bad?? Does it feel like you have to use the toilet real bad or what??

I went back after 5 days and I am a resort manager so my job is a big butt and some running type of job. Wear loose clothes or the cuts get irritated, especially the bra cut. Also the gas pains are a __________.

Staci

Orlando FL

banded 12-14-04 Mexico

"Well behaved women rarely make history"

I have a big butt desk job, too. I had surgery on a Friday and went back to work the following Wednesday. I could have easily gone back on Tuesday, though!

I am a house keeper and it requires lots of stretching and bending. I took a week off and felt pretty good going back at the end of that time. I tend to think for myself the longer I sit around and have a pitty party the longer I'll be down. I like to get back to normal-type schedules as soon as possible. Try to plan the four days off attached to a weekend so you get six days off. Best wishes, Teresa

New abbreviation: BBDJ=Big butt desk job. Yeah, I have one too. Surgery Thursday, flew home Saturday, back to work Monday feeling like a truck ran over me. . . so I had to leave mid-afternoon. I told my boss and the HR director that I would have to deviate from the corporate dress code for a week. I showed up that last week of August wearing a floor-length dashiki and muu-muus. At least I was comfortable! The incision on my left side was painful, and I had to lean back in my chair a lot. I also spent about 15 minutes stretched out on my office floor every day. (Luckily I could close the door.) The next week I was pretty much back to normal. So I wish I hadn't tried to be superwoman and had taken at least a couple of extra days off.

I'd suggest taking as much time off as you can, unless you heal remarkably fast. How flexible is your schedule? If you take four days off but feel like you could handle a full day after just two days, could you work after all, saving your days off for later?

I was banded on Friday released from the hospital on Sat and went to work on Tuesday half days for 2 weeks. I sit all day so I would get up and walk the inside of our building. I wish I could have taken off 1 week with no work and got more rest. But oh well it worked out