Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to start living and stop obsessing over the scale

I cant 3 months out and at a stall for about month and half!

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats on hitting your goal! It feels great, doesn't it? I stopped obsessing when I had been under my goal weight for a year. I decided I basically had it figured out at that point. I weigh myself once a month now, just to keep myself accountable.

I've reached my goal too & still want to lose 15 more lbs. Personally, I don't think I'll ever stop obsessing over the scale. I don't ever want to go back & the only way to track & keep myself accountable is being conscious about my weight. What messed me up before was being afraid to face the scale & letting myself go without thinking about it.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

There seems to be two types of people. Those that can weigh every day, and don't obsess (they get used to the normal day-to-day fluctuations), and those that never seem to get used to it, and tend to "obsess".. all their hopes and dreams are wrapped up in that number.

So, what to do? The obsess-er still needs to weigh occasionally in order to keep tabs... but not so often that it stays on their mind all the time. Once a month is probably a good frequency, and if the scale calls to you, then get rid of it out of your house, and find another place to get weighed (doctor's office, gym, etc.). Put it on your calendar that you will weigh yourself on the first of each month, but not more often than that.

Congrats on getting to goal! And good luck!

Congrats to you on your major milestone(s)! Woot gotta love numbers beginning with "1."

Let us know when you figure out how to stop obsessively weighing! I know I have to fight my incredible compulsion to rip my clothes off and step on the damn thing whenever I pass it (a scale). Whereas that's not such an issue at home, it's increasingly tricky at friends' houses or while in department stores...don't even ask about Bed, Bath and Beyonce stores! :blush:

I knew I was not the only one! It's ridiculous!! I think the past few days I have decided and will stick to only weighing once a week. I feel the best I have felt in over 10 years and I am eating right and working out. The only time I need to worry is if I fall off track but I don't see that happening... thanks everyone for their response!!!

I weigh weekly. I'm 7 years out and in maintenance. I do it because ignoring the scale leads to regain. But the number does not determine my happiness. It does not rule my life. I think before I eat, I make good choices and I live my life. I indulge when I want. I love myself and the skin I'm in and what it's been through.

Little fluctuations are normal. We nip real regain in the bud. But once the loss journey is done we have to settle. It can be hard to adjust. Without that goal to focus on it can be a little strange. I found that therapy helped, as did finding hobbies and activities to occupy my time.

Congrats on accomplishing so much. Enjoy it! Let your scale gather a little dust now. ;)

Cheri