Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help...soft foods phase

I start soft foods phase on Friday and I'm confused. Since I got my surgery in MX I don't have a nutritionist to ask. I emailed my coordinator but her response made no sense and I think she just made it up.

Here is what the instructions are:

I asked her, whether I am supposed to wait 30 minutes between eating and drinking the shakes because it specifically says NOT to eat and drink at the same time. She said I can drink a Protein Shake while eating because it is a thicker consistency.

This is simply not true, my shakes are super thin and the whole point is to not wash down the food. However, if I wait 30 minutes I will be eating and drinking all day long.

If you had surgery here, what did your nutritionist tell you about soft foods phase?

soft foods.PNG

Edited by shazwott13

I'm not there yet but our nutritionist is very good and she says stop drinking anything 30 mins before and 30 mins after soft foods or you WILL be sorry. So that is what I will do.

thank you, that makes more sense to me than what this lady tried to tell me

I started the puree/soft food stage this week too. I might be a rebel, but I will have the odd sip with a meal just to keep things flowing. But yes, 30 min before and after...

I think the hardest part was eating with the family and the psycological game of trying not to keep up to the "normal" pace, but realizing my new "normal"...

when I was still on full liquids I didn't wait to resume drinking fluids after drinking a shake, but once I started eating soft foods I did. The shakes count as Fluid intake so treat the shakes like they are fluid once you start eating other things.

Hey Colorado sister. My menu says eat a soft food for Breakfast, lunch , dinner and in between you can have your Protein Drink and liquids. The menu you have says to drink with the soft food and i would not recommend you do that. I am on soft food now and it is all i can do just to get 2 oz of soft food down. There is no room for liquid with the soft food. I wait 30 min after meals then start drinking Water. i wait another 30 min then start to sip on my Protein drink. Hope this helps.

The meal plan attached gives you all kinds of choices for meals. Some of the things i am not ready to eat. i just take it slow and try something new every other day to see how my body tolerates it. We need protein first about 50 to 60 oz a day then if you can incorporate a soft vegi or fruit then do so. You will work your way up to more ounces eventually the more time has passed. Are bodies need protein, carbs, starch and yes even fat. Just make really good choices on those things and you will do fine. My Dr. said the weight loss starts after week 6. Anything prior to that was just bonus weight loss. Once your body figures out what just happened and swelling goes down it will kick into gear. You will probably see a 10 pound loss per month steady.

meal plan.docx

2 minutes ago, JupiterSky said:

Hey Colorado sister. My menu says eat a soft food for Breakfast, lunch , dinner and in between you can have your Protein Drink and liquids. The menu you have says to drink with the soft food and i would not recommend you do that. I am on soft food now and it is all i can do just to get 2 oz of soft food down. There is no room for liquid with the soft food. I wait 30 min after meals then start drinking Water. i wait another 30 min then start to sip on my Protein drink. Hope this helps.

The meal plan attached gives you all kinds of choices for meals. Some of the things i am not ready to eat. i just take it slow and try something new every other day to see how my body tolerates it. We need Protein first about 50 to 60 oz a day then if you can incorporate a soft vegi or fruit then do so. You will work your way up to more ounces eventually the more time has passed. Are bodies need protein, carbs, starch and yes even fat. Just make really good choices on those things and you will do fine. My Dr. said the weight loss starts after week 6. Anything prior to that was just bonus weight loss. Once your body figures out what just happened and swelling goes down it will kick into gear. You will probably see a 10 pound loss per month steady.

meal plan.docx

OMG...you a life saver!!!! Thank you so much for this :)

9 minutes ago, shazwott13 said:

OMG...you a life saver!!!! Thank you so much for this :)

Your welcome love. We are in this together and this site is great for advise and help.

I agree. I'm no doctor, but it seems a little strange to drink a Protein Shake while you eat. Apple good tip about drinking Water after drinking the shake- I try to avoid that too but I guess technically it should be OK. Same with broths/soups I guess.

Edited by gwbicster
Forgot a word.