Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and scared about my surgery

I am new to this support group. I am weighing 288 and been looking forward to having this surgery done for a long time now. I was very excited about being able to finally go through this process and finally be in track to a better living and healthy life. But now that my surgery is less than a week away, I am completely terrified. Just the idea of altering such an important part of my body is all of the sudden making me think twice about this surgery. I won't turn back now no matter what but, I was wondering if there's anyone that is feeling the same way and maybe some of you that have been through it already could tell me what to expect. My main worry for after the surgery is the pain. I've had surgeries before and I have been pretty good at tolerating the pain so I'm hoping is not as bad as I may be expecting it. I just need some advice and maybe chat about it so that I feel more confident about what I'm about to go through. Thank you all in advance.

Hey hun of course you would be terrified I was haha I couldn't sleep or anything it scared the crap outta me I'm 3 weeks post op now and doing good I did have some depression for about a week after it like crying impending doom feeling etc I'm good now I didn't have any pain really just the gas pain in shoulder but it didn't stay long I never used painkillers either once I was home didn't need them :) you will be OK

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh, I thought about cancelling a few times. My surgery date kept getting pushed around due to getting sick prior to my first surgery date, and the getting fit into the surgeon's schedule. The first week is tough. Everyone has the, holy cow what did I just do? I did fight with depression and crying a lot the first week. I am almost 4 weeks post op and quite glad I did. I found the new life style easy to start with the puree and a new diet, I think the tough part will be not falling back into old habbits months down the road. But all this emotional rollercoaster is normal. Just remember your why. Why are you doing this?

Sent from my SM-G925P using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, that is definitely something I have thought about, the old habits. Sweets are my week point but, I was told that after surgery sweets are not exactly tolerated well so I hope it helps in that point.

I had a "moment or two" before surgery where I wondered to myself "Are you absolutely crazy?" But I didn't dwell on it for long. I knew I had read all I could. Had great confidence in my doctor, his team, and my hospital. I'm one week post surgery. Lost 20 lbs. No pain meds because I didn't need them. Who knew I would be looking forward to puréed foods?! Feel myself; not some altered version. Think about the positives that got you here and where you're headed. Trust your team. Trust yourself. Good luck!

I have a high pain tolerance. After surgery I left the recovery room I took no pain medicine, I didn't need to because I had very little pain. But remember to Walk, Walk, Walk because it will help to resolve the gas pain.

Since surgery is less than a week away, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

2 hours ago, SunsUp said:

I had a "moment or two" before surgery where I wondered to myself "Are you absolutely crazy?" But I didn't dwell on it for long. I knew I had read all I could. Had great confidence in my doctor, his team, and my hospital. I'm one week post surgery. Lost 20 lbs. No pain meds because I didn't need them. Who knew I would be looking forward to puréed foods?! Feel myself; not some altered version. Think about the positives that got you here and where you're headed. Trust your team. Trust yourself. Good luck!

Thank you so much. I definitely feel better with knowing that it's really not as bad as I was thinking. Have you entered any depression stage? So far I've been hearing that normally people enter that stage about a week after. I'm glad it all went well with you and good luck with your success.

1 hour ago, James Marusek said:

I have a high pain tolerance. After surgery I left the recovery room I took no pain medicine, I didn't need to because I had very little pain. But remember to Walk, Walk, Walk because it will help to resolve the gas pain.

Since surgery is less than a week away, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Omg! I had not thought about doing that. It is definitely something I will do. The soda is something that will be hard to leave but, I will start today to refrain from it. Thank you for your advice, it really helps to know this things.

I'm 8 days out and i feel like me. No depression. I think my doctor made it clear what to expect. I understood there's no magic wand. I went for check up after 6 days. And they warned me to remember that I just had major surgery. Because other than some tiredness I'm feeling really great. And they don't want me doing more than I should.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, SunsUp said:

I'm 8 days out and i feel like me. No depression. I think my doctor made it clear what to expect. I understood there's no magic wand. I went for check up after 6 days. And they warned me to remember that I just had major surgery. Because other than some tiredness I'm feeling really great. And they don't want me doing more than I should.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

That is awesome. I just started my liquid diet today. We'll see how that part goes. 😊