Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stitched Muscle Pain- How long did it last?

I'm just over 8 weeks post op and I have this pain in my left side when I move a certain way, move to fast, bend awkwardly, and roll on that side the wrong way. I'm sure it's from the muscle being stitched after surgery but I'm wondering if anybody had this pain and if so how long after surgery did it go away. It goes away immediately after I sit up straight but I've noticed as I lose more weight it hurts more and gets a bit more intense. It never lasts and does feel like the muscle is being pulled but I just didn't think I'd be experiencing issues with the muscle this far out and maybe I thought wrong and that takes longer to heal. I'll message my surgeon but I wanted to see if anybody else experienced this and for how long.

It took about 5 weeks for it to completely go away for me, but everyone is different. I had issues where if I overexerted myself my incisions would get sore and my muscles would start hurting again. Are you working out?

It took about 5 weeks for it to completely go away for me, but everyone is different. I had issues where if I overexerted myself my incisions would get sore and my muscles would start hurting again. Are you working out?

Not yet but I plan on starting this week. I don't think it has anything to do with my actual stomach or the staple lines there but I'm starting to get nervous that maybe it actually might be since it's still going on.

My incisions still occasionally hurt 3.5 weeks out. Yesterday they were really bugging me. I'm thinking I'll put some lotion on my abdomen- maybe just neosporin to be cautious - they're pretty healed but still itch and peel like they're pulling a bit.

Hw 223, SW 217 CW 200 GW 135

I don't have incision pain anymore and I thought this was just normal muscle healing but I'm getting worried it's actually something related to my stomach and/or the staples since most people's muscle pain went away by 3 weeks.

I have mild abdominal muscle discomfort (almost 4 months out). Not from near the incisions, higher around my ribs. Comes on with movement, but I wouldn't ever call it intense. I actually think mine is from the shrinking fatty layer under the muscles is creating this discomfort. About the time the muscles are adjusting to my new shape, I've lost more, so it's a lingering strange sensation that I never had preop.

It's good to ask your surgeon, in case there is something unexpected happening, especially if it's more than mild discomfort.

Just now, Berry78 said:

I have mild abdominal muscle discomfort (almost 4 months out). Not from near the incisions, higher around my ribs. Comes on with movement, but I wouldn't ever call it intense. I actually think mine is from the shrinking fatty layer under the muscles is creating this discomfort. About the time the muscles are adjusting to my new shape, I've lost more, so it's a lingering strange sensation that I never had preop.

It's good to ask your surgeon, in case there is something unexpected happening, especially if it's more than mild discomfort.

Thank our or posting!!! This is exactly what I think is going on with me... it's not at my incision but closer to my rib area and is happening more often as I lose more weight... it's not unbearable so I guess intense was the wrong word but there are times when it's stronger than usual. It lasts very briefly and only ever happens in relation to movement or if my activity is too much. I'm going to explain it the way you did to kt surgeon and see what he thinks... one min I'm not worried about it and I'm like it's just muscle pain and the other I'm like but wait what if it's my stomach or the staple line. It never hurts when I eat or drink me doesn't hurt to touch or apply pressure to area so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

12 minutes ago, AK_Bookworm said:

It never hurts when I eat or drink me doesn't hurt to touch or apply pressure to area so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Yes, all of that IS a very good sign.

If mine sounds similar, then I don't think it's anything to worry about. Hopefully your surgeon will agree :) (And if he doesn't, let me know! lol).

I'm only 3 weeks out but I have that same random sharp pain in my left side near the only incision I have on that side. I bring it up everytime I see my suregon but she says it's normal and I have an incision there so it's going to hurt but it's the same for me- I can press on it, usually is ok but then sometimes when I bend to shave my leg or twist the wrong way it is super painful.

i randomly had pain on my left side for months. I assumed it nerves reconnecting. I has been a while so the memories are fuzzy but I am going to say at least 6 to 9 months

i randomly had pain on my left side for months. I assumed it nerves reconnecting. I has been a while so the memories are fuzzy but I am going to say at least 6 to 9 months

That's a good point I totally forgot about the nerves.

Yeah it wasn't muscles for me, they healed in a fairly normal time period. It was something else below the muscle. The pains never lasted long and were never super intense.

I am 4 months out and occasionally have what feels like being stuck with a pin or something. Not really intense and it is very transient. My surgeon told me if every now and then I have a random pain not to worry, so I am not. If it ever increases in intensity or frequency I will investigate

I am 2 weeks post op , I start notice the same kind of pain 3 days ago ,when I was walking . It was like some thing was inside me moving up and down on my lower left side . For a moment I tried rub the left side of my tummy and continue walking slow . Since then I have that pain that comes and goes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app