Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best protein shakes and why

Your taste buds may change dramatically after surgery so be willing to experiment. Many experience problems drinking Protein Shakes. I hated them. But in the beginning I drank them, three 16-ounce Protein shakes a day, in order to meet my protein requirements. You do not have to like protein shakes only tolerate them. There are many varieties of protein shakes available today. Experiment until you can find one you can tolerate.

I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

I used Protein Shakes before surgery so I kept using the same ones I used before.

I like the Premier pre-made shakes. I hate Protein Powder because it is just a pain, the exception being the unflavored which is great in broth.

The chicken Soup Unjury is nice too but it has a really high sodium content.

I use Premier Protien RTD from Wal Mart or costco. 30g each. Light and easy to drink and get down. Muscle Milk too sweet for me. I usually buy the vanilla Premier and add sugar free syrups to them. I love the caramel but they dont have it at Costco and they are much cheaper there. I can't stand any powdered and have tried them all. Too thick and dense abd just the consistency is yucky. Although I love the Click coffee Protein powder but it is not Decaf and need to be sure no caffeine for a year.

Edited by SleeveDreamer

Everyone is different, I was the opposite I found the premade ones gross and thick and only liked the powders! Syntrax matrix (I still love the PB cookie one!) and Quest (salted caramel) are my favorites.

Oh and I like the Click coffee one too! But I was allowed caffeine, no restrictions from my surgeon on that.

There's one by Advocare that I love, i like the Vanilla & I add strawberries & banana, it is a lil pricey but I found the taste worth it & I tried quite a few. I'm 5 yrs out & I like to check in periodically & let every one know this is doable. Tho a friend (Nurse) said to me the other day "you are the only person I've seen not put the weight back on". Quite a compliment but I just can't eat more than my stomach can hold, one bite too much & every thing I ate comes back up.

Premier Protein, for the taste. I like Caramel, Banana, and have grown to prefer chocolate and strawberry after surgery.

Best advice I've heard- don't buy too many before surgery- your tastes may change. Fortunately I like them all after surgery- because I bought way too many (thought I'd need more than I did).

Many people including Dr. Weiner say to make your own with unflavored Protein powder. I will eventually do that or wean myself off the shakes and try to get my protein from other sources.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Oh and I like the Click coffee one too! But I was allowed caffeine, no restrictions from my surgeon on that.

The only reason to stay away from caffeine for the first year is that it causes a lot of dehydration. Otherwise there is really no problem. I have always since my sleeve, stayed away from caffeine so I am used to it! But the Click is sooo good!

The only reason to stay away from caffeine for the first year is that it causes a lot of dehydration. Otherwise there is really no problem. I have always since my sleeve, stayed away from caffeine so I am used to it! But the Click is sooo good!

The science doesn't actually support the thought that caffeine is dehydrating:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/55479-does-caffeine-cause-dehydration.html

Caffeine and coffee do not dehydrate. The only reason to avoid coffee post-op really is the acid.

Anyway, I forgot about Syntrax. It has been a long time since I had a Protein Shake.

I think Syntrax are the best immediately post-op. They are thin like Water, mix super easy and you can sip on them all day like water. There are a lot of flavors. I like the Cappuccino lemonade and caribbean cooler.

My favorite is Premier Protein Banana followed by Vanilla. I don't drink them very often any more but I have one every now and then. 30 grams of Protein for 160 calories and 1 gram of sugar.... The banana is a little sweet which satisfies my need for something sweet at times

This is the only type I could tolerate. Yes, it has a ton of carbs compared to regular Protein Shakes, but during the first 8 weeks postop, your body needs carbs for healing. At 4 months postop, I don't drink them anymore, unless I need something for a road trip (grab and go).

http://lifewaykefir.com/products/vanilla-protein-kefir/

kefir.jpg

I got a lot of samples to try things. I finally found I was happiest with Syntrax Nectar, more juice like than milk like. Mix with water....a lot of flavors...thankfully, I found one I liked after trying many! I had so many samples through the last few months. Crossing my fingers that I still like these after surgery (Aug 1)