Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Encouragement! -pre op diet

Hi! My surgery date is 7/28. My surgeon started me on 'the milk diet' on 7/7. 3 weeks of nothing but skim milk, Water, and zero calorie drinks. Two days in and I'm exhausted and weak and super grouchy. Not to mention, HUNGRY! It doesn't seem like a lot of surgeons require the milk diet, but has anyone else had to do it? Did your body adjust and feel better?

Hello

ease know that after 3 to 5 days your body will adjust to your diet and mental status. It is hard during the first few days but make sure you are having as much as you can from the list your were given to make sure you are satified and consume the amount you need. It will get better. Be psotove and set your mind that this soon will pass and that you will be ok. I know it's difficult. You will be ok. We are all here to support one another. Best of luck. 😀

Never heard of the milk diet.

Edited by asantiago

Hello
ease know that after 3 to 5 days your body will adjust to your diet and mental status. It is hard during the first few days but make sure you are having as much as you can from the list your were given to make sure you are satified and consume the amount you need. It will get better. Be psotove and set your mind that this soon will pass and that you will be ok. I know it's difficult. You will be ok. We are all here to support one another. Best of luck. [emoji3]
Never heard of the milk diet.

Thanks! It's day 3 and I *think* I feel better. Lots of people have said they've never heard of the milk diet, it must not be too common. It's standard practice for my surgeon though!

Hi! My surgery date is 7/28. My surgeon started me on 'the milk diet' on 7/7. 3 weeks of nothing but skim milk, Water, and zero calorie drinks. Two days in and I'm exhausted and weak and super grouchy. Not to mention, HUNGRY! It doesn't seem like a lot of surgeons require the milk diet, but has anyone else had to do it? Did your body adjust and feel better?

Hi there! Glad to hear you're feeling a "little" better now that you're at day 3! I haven't started the liquid diet yet - still waiting on my surgery date - but I'm more anxious about 2 weeks with NO solid food than I am about surgery! I'm curious about the "milk diet." What does your surgeon say this will do vs. just a liquid diet? Benefits?

Honestly the 3 weeks pre-op diet were the worse for me. I had a hard time sticking to it but I tried my best and my liver was small enough for my surgery and it all went well. I only lost 6 pounds those 3 weeks and I was hungry grumpy and dehydrated...the worst! After surgery much easier to diet as hunger gone for months.

The pre-op diet for me was Optifast which is a Meal Replacement shake.

Hi there! Glad to hear you're feeling a "little" better now that you're at day 3! I haven't started the liquid diet yet - still waiting on my surgery date - but I'm more anxious about 2 weeks with NO solid food than I am about surgery! I'm curious about the "milk diet." What does your surgeon say this will do vs. just a liquid diet? Benefits?

Day 4 is even better, thankfully! I think maybe the biggest issue was cutting off sugar and caffeine suddenly.

The Milk Diet is just another variation of a liquid diet. It's designed to meet the body's minimal needs for Protein with minimal calories so fat will be burned. It's supposed to make surgery easier for the heart and lungs and shrink the liver.

It's a rough diet. Skim milk is not filling at all. But it's doing its job. I'm already down 6 pounds. Which is crazy!

Honestly the 3 weeks pre-op diet were the worse for me. I had a hard time sticking to it but I tried my best and my liver was small enough for my surgery and it all went well. I only lost 6 pounds those 3 weeks and I was hungry grumpy and dehydrated...the worst! After surgery much easier to diet as hunger gone for months.
The pre-op diet for me was Optifast which is a meal replacement shake.

I'm so glad to hear it's easier after surgery! It's a long time to go without chewing something delicious and savory! I almost took a bite of my kid's Mac and cheese last night out of habit!

Milk seems like a good option for a liquid diet - Calcium and Protein, plus some natural lactose sugar for energy. I never thought about that before. Now that I do think about it, though, I think I saw a sample meal plan for WLS once that included an 8 oz glass of milk as a "snack."