Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IndigoGirl...

I read a post on another board recently by a guy who went to Ortiz for his surgery. He was really angry with Dr. Ortiz because he had to watch what he ate. He felt for the $10K or whatever he spent the band should do everything for him. For that kind of money the pounds should just magically fall off overnight. He was absolutely furious over this and thought it was all Dr. O's fault.

What are people thinking? I don't understand this. How can anyone go into this surgery without fully understanding how everything works? He wasn't exercising, he wasn't eating right and he wasn't losing. He was at least thankful that he wasn't gaining but he believes he's been duped.

Let's just say we had a chat and he at least understands how things work.

Amazing.

I guess it goes with the attitude that some folks have. If you spend enough money you can get whatever you want. Well, that doesn't always work. Sometimes you spend a lot of money for a great tool that helps YOU do the work. At least, that's how my band works for me. HA!

I don't feel the way this guy does. I do exercise and I'm pretty restricted at times. I've played with the same 2 lbs for the past month or so and it does get frustrating. I'm not by anyway dissapointed in how I've done and I'm not some lazy bum that sits around and isn't active. I have so much more energy and feel great. I guess I get confused by the whole having to count calories.

I don't feel the way this guy does. I do exercise and I'm pretty restricted at times. I've played with the same 2 lbs for the past month or so and it does get frustrating. I'm not by anyway dissapointed in how I've done and I'm not some lazy bum that sits around and isn't active. I have so much more energy and feel great. I guess I get confused by the whole having to count calories.

I should have clarified, I really wasn't referring to you. I was referring to an extreme example of a point I was making.

Honestly, I didn't have you in mind at all when I wrote that post.

I try counting calories and it never works. I only resort to then when I am not losing weight. More importantly I find that increasing exercise or changing exercise affects my weight loss. I do eat most things although I make more sensible choices. I find that is my best approach. My weight loss has slowed down but it is a comfortable approach. I will still have a cookie if I want it - just not the whole package. I still have pizza if I want it - just one slice and not 1/2 a pizza.

I have been banded almost a year. I've lost 65 lbs, I never counted calories, I just watched my portions. I never could eat very much a time. I have a 4cc band filled 2cc.

I refuse to count carbs. That's my stipulation. I hate diets. I did Atkins, and I can vouche for it, I did wonderful on it. But I *WON'T* stick to it, and when I fall off the wagon I fall hard and sabotage myself for hating myself for failing. Vicious cycle!!

But I do count calories, only because if I don't, I will lose track and eat more than I should, and thus not lose weight.

I am NOT dieting. I don't count calories to diet. I count calories to be accountable.

I will eat pizza, a piece of cake, whatever.. as long as it's in my calories for the day. And 99% of the time, I'd rather have more of something lower in calories. But the days I go bonkers and eat things I shouldn't, the band does this for me--it stops me. I'll get restricted, PB, blah blah. My days of gorging on several McDonald meals in front of the tv are long gone. My gorges are now so small in comparison to my pre-band life. I like that. And I don't hate myself afterward, because I go to myplate and look.. and I'll be damned I was still under 2,000 calories for the day. HURRAH! :)

I am a calorie and Protein counter. I don't have to but for ME it helps a great deal. It's not necessary, you need to do what works for you.

One thing I usually suggest is that if you are not losing you might be consuming more calories than you think and for THOSE people many suggest tracking it. Sometimes we don't realize what we are consuming.

If you are losing weight and not tracking food then don't worry about it. But the band really is a tool and not a magic cure. You need to find what works for you and stick with it.

I agree with WaSa, I also track these things for me, it is more accountabilty for me. I do not feel that I diet at all, I told my DH yesterday that I am happy to say that I am never going to diet in my life again!

It is very easy to consume liquid calories, so I am very careful at what I eat and drink. You don't have to do it, but it helps me. I do not think of it at all as dieting! It is just not the same at all! NOT ONE BIT!

I use FitDay thanks to someone on this board who suggested it. I have yet to find my "sweet spot" so the lbs are coming off very slowly. I still can eat alot at one sitting. I have 5ccs in a 10cc VG band. I am getting another fill in 10 days. I hope at that point I do not have to be sooooooooo strict about writing everything down, but for the time being, I want to be in control of everything that goes into my mouth. I too am a self payer and I will be damned to think I am not going to succeed at this. I made a commitment to myself that I am worth all this and I will be a success. No one is going to stop me! I hold all the power...NOT MY BAND!

I refuse to count carbs. That's my stipulation. I hate diets. I did Atkins, and I can vouche for it, I did wonderful on it. But I *WON'T* stick to it, and when I fall off the wagon I fall hard and sabotage myself for hating myself for failing. Vicious cycle!!

But I do count calories, only because if I don't, I will lose track and eat more than I should, and thus not lose weight.

I am NOT dieting. I don't count calories to diet. I count calories to be accountable.

I will eat pizza, a piece of cake, whatever.. as long as it's in my calories for the day. And 99% of the time, I'd rather have more of something lower in calories. But the days I go bonkers and eat things I shouldn't, the band does this for me--it stops me. I'll get restricted, PB, blah blah. My days of gorging on several McDonald meals in front of the tv are long gone. My gorges are now so small in comparison to my pre-band life. I like that. And I don't hate myself afterward, because I go to myplate and look.. and I'll be damned I was still under 2,000 calories for the day. HURRAH! :)

I can't do that. I'm a mega carb addict. If I eat white carbs I can't stop. For me it is all or none. Calories my butt... I don't care. If I am chowing down on carbs it just doesn't end. I'm one of those people it's all or none. The more I eat the more I crave. If I don't eat them I don't crave them. It's a nasty cycle I get into.

That's why it is not the norm for white carbs to cross my lips. I just can't do it. No will power. I WILL eat around my band so I have to cut them out.

I have white carbs maybe... once a month. Then I turn into a couch slug and I eat more white carbs.

I'm thrilled for those that can eat them in small quantities but I'm just not one of those people.

I can't do that. I'm a mega carb addict. If I eat white carbs I can't stop. For me it is all or none. Calories my butt... I don't care. If I am chowing down on carbs it just doesn't end. I'm one of those people it's all or none. The more I eat the more I crave. If I don't eat them I don't crave them. It's a nasty cycle I get into.

That's why it is not the norm for white carbs to cross my lips. I just can't do it. No will power. I WILL eat around my band so I have to cut them out.

I have white carbs maybe... once a month. Then I turn into a couch slug and I eat more white carbs.

I'm thrilled for those that can eat them in small quantities but I'm just not one of those people.

See, my fave white carb was bread. When I was in elementary school, I'd literally get just a fruit punch and a plate of rolls for lunch. I physically can't eat that anymore. I can eat potatos and put them down once I'm full, they don't give me the same feeling as bread used to.

IndigoGirl...

I read a post on another board recently by a guy who went to Ortiz for his surgery. He was really angry with Dr. Ortiz because he had to watch what he ate. He felt for the $10K or whatever he spent the band should do everything for him. For that kind of money the pounds should just magically fall off overnight. He was absolutely furious over this and thought it was all Dr. O's fault.

What are people thinking? I don't understand this. How can anyone go into this surgery without fully understanding how everything works? He wasn't exercising, he wasn't eating right and he wasn't losing. He was at least thankful that he wasn't gaining but he believes he's been duped.

Let's just say we had a chat and he at least understands how things work.

Amazing.

I guess it goes with the attitude that some folks have. If you spend enough money you can get whatever you want. Well, that doesn't always work. Sometimes you spend a lot of money for a great tool that helps YOU do the work. At least, that's how my band works for me. HA!

I agree with you 1 million percent - There really seems to be a few who think that they don't have to do anything - that the band is going to do all the work - Right now i am working harder than my band (need that 2nd fill) but regardless - I made a committment in getting the band and that includes eating healthy & exercising 5 days a week for the rest of my life..

Wake up people call cuz if you don't change your eating patterns you might loose in the begining with the Portion Control - but you will end up gaining it all back - just like any other progam you have done.

Band = portion control and only when you hit your sweet spot period end of story...

I could eat the house right now - but am i ??? No - baking a chicken for dinner with zuchinne and 1/2 mashed potatoes - I weigh all my food and count calories & protien

I am not eating what we use to call normal food - that normal food was High Fat High Sugar and hugh portions- Oh ya i forgot why was i fat??(well still am technally but that's going down daily) I didn't get fat from eating 3 or 4 oz of baked or grilled chicken, fish - veggies and small amount of carbs...

I go to the gym walk 10 to 13 miles a week - 60 mintues of weight weekly. Am losing 1 - 2 lbs a week.. and that's without having too much restriction - heck - when I do hit my sweet spot - I am going to be doing extra great. But it's my committment to this and not just the band.

This is what i tell all the newbies that ask questions they say they know it's not the magic cure - but in the back of their heads they think it is (imho) - You gotta do the work the band it's self isn't..

When I want to eat more than i should - I think of you being at goal..

You are a great motivator and I send people your way who have questions cuz I really admire your knowlegde... You go Girl :clap2::clap2:

LaLa

I agree with you too - I have had a slice of pizza - and 1/2 piece of bday cake - but it goes into my calories for the day and not in additon to.. I really haven't had any gorging since I was banded - there has been a couple times i wanted to - the other day in fact i went to lunch and was starving - setting mex restaurant - i let my hunger tummy and my old ways order - taco enchallida & Beans - ate a few chips before food came - once the food came - all i could eat was the taco - the rest when into a doggie bag for dinner... Next day out to lunch again - made better choice shrinp chevicie (sp) - that's my newest goal it to try and always find the heahlty items on the menu - I am human but thanks to the band - i didn't turn back into my old piggy self...

I guess the whole point is- do what is right for YOU.. everyone is different and loses differently.. once you find the way that works for you, the rest doesn't matter-if counting calories works, count calories-if avoiding white carbs works, then avoid white carbs-there is no right or wrong answer-this is all a process-what works for one might not work for the next person-we all know whether we are newbies or bandsters at goal-the band is not magic- that one must do the work it takes to lose the weight-the band is just a tool here to help us along the way-it is surprising when I read here how many people think that once they are banded the pounds will just magically disappear without work- the fact is the majority of us will have to work-really hard-might I add- to get this weight off. I guess the point I am trying to make is counting calories is not a requirement in this process, but it does help one to be accountable for what they are consuming, especially if there is little restriction or one is exepiencing a plateau.

I guess the whole point is- do what is right for YOU.. everyone is different and loses differently.. once you find the way that works for you, the rest doesn't matter-if counting calories works, count calories-if avoiding white carbs works, then avoid white carbs-there is no right or wrong answer-this is all a process-what works for one might not work for the next person-we all know whether we are newbies or bandsters at goal-the band is not magic- that one must do the work it takes to lose the weight-the band is just a tool here to help us along the way-it is surprising when I read here how many people think that once they are banded the pounds will just magically disappear without work- the fact is the majority of us will have to work-really hard-might I add- to get this weight off. I guess the point I am trying to make is counting calories is not a requirement in this process, but it does help one to be accountable for what they are consuming, especially if there is little restriction or one is exepiencing a plateau.

Beautiful post, I soooo agree with you.

If someone is not losing, they have restriction, they are exercising... then it's time to start counting what is going in your (general you, not specific you) mouth.