Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have only chosen a select few family members and friends to share this journey with. Out of that select few, only one gave me a hard time. What are you saying to the nay-Sayers and what do you plan to say to those who don't know but are asking questions about your sudden weight loss?

8 minutes ago, Old2NewMe said:

What are you saying to the nay-Sayers and what do you plan to say to those who don't know but are asking questions about your sudden weight loss?

To the first part of this question, my answer is nothing, as in I don't say anything else to them, like ever. If they don't support me in decisions to better my life, then f 'em. Of course if this is a close relative and you think they will come around then that is one thing, but this journey is tough enough without someone giving you crap about it.

To the second part, if someone directly asks me I always tell them the truth. I just can't see wasting time trying to hide something I am not ashamed about doing. Of course I don't go blaring it from the roof tops, but I also don't hide it.

That said it is a personal choice, and everyone has a different take on this. Either way I think you have made a fantastic choice and I wish you all the best in your journey!!

I haven't decided what I'm going to say, I keep to myself a lot so there's not too many people I need to feel the urge to tell. I did tell my boss that I was having a procedure in the coming months so I will be going to appointments here and there. She asked if it was about my foot (I fractured it last year), I told her no and left it at that. My family, boyfriend and my best friend are supportive and that's all I need. As far as the sudden weight loss, I see it like this. I have Kaiser so I'm in that dreaded 6 month program that start in the beginning of August, so weight has to be lost during that time. So my co-workers will hopefully notice a change then and pay it no mind after lol.

I have only told 3 friends and my boyfriend. Since I am going to TJ, Mexico, I am afraid my family will freak out. I'm terrified to tell them. The people I have told are being super supportive. One of my friends is coming along as my travel companion to ensure everything goes well.

I haven't quite figured out how to tell my family yet... open to suggestions.

40 minutes ago, Old2NewMe said:

So I have only chosen a select few family members and friends to share this journey with. Out of that select few, only one gave me a hard time. What are you saying to the nay-Sayers and what do you plan to say to those who don't know but are asking questions about your sudden weight loss?

Go educate yourself first about wls and then come back to me if you want to talk. (I did that with my brother. He came back and says "I'll support you")

19 minutes ago, Shereseed said:

I haven't quite figured out how to tell my family yet... open to suggestions.

Tell them the truth. It will be much easier on you in the long run. I just don't get the stigma so many people fear will follow them. You are making a very positive life choice, let them see that.

8 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Go educate yourself first about wls and then come back to me if you want to talk. (I did that with my brother. He came back and says "I'll support you")

That's what my boyfriend did, he wasn't too fond of it when I lightly brought it up last year. Now that I finally decided to go for it, he took it upon himself to research it. Only thing he said is that he'll make sure he's out the way when the mood swings occur LOL!

Eventually anyone you see frequently will know one way or another at some point in the journey. Now having said that, there are only a few that will know from inception because I am with them frequently and I want their support. I avoided telling specific people that I know to be negative about wls or gossips because I don't want to feed the vultures in the early stages of recovery. Once I am well into the journey f'em. They have all seen me lose 30-70 lbs before and likely think I am just dieting once again.

My mom was the one that actually brought the subject of wls up to me. She has a failed lap-band.. The port is literally flipped so she cant get fills anymore and her surgeon brought up her getting a revision to sleeve. She said I should get on board and we could do it together as a team support. Unfortunately her insurance messed her up so I'm going through it first. She is going to switch to my Dad's insurance and try again after that. My Dad knows, my husband and tween children know. I told my sister and my grandmother as well but no one else in the family knows that I am going through this. I have mentioned the nutrition visits because when I learn interesting things I like to share the knowledge. I have already been on a weight loss journey for two years ( and gone up and down on the scale ). I am a stay at home mom so really people that don't know will think I just did it on my own when they happen to see me again. I mean once I am a success story and have maintained for a year or more then maybe I will be more open about it . I just wouldn't want people that aren't supportive to scrutinize every bite and everything I do while I going through the process. This process is hard enough without negative people.

I told a few selective friends and family members. Yes thee were a few that were negative, but I'm nit sure if it was out of concern due to only hearing negative things about the surgery (like failure), envy, or thoughts that WLS is like cheating? Ultimately those who really know me know that this has always been a struggle, even with my regular exercise regime. In the end everyone has been supportive. There have been a few people that I did not tell abut WLS who have asked how I did it and I have been honest with them. But those who know me and follow me on FB know how active I ma with my running so they see that I have made a lifestyle change rather than having the surgery with no real follow through in life style change.

I'm glad you posted this question. I am 3 months post op and getting married in 23 days and haven't seen or told 90% of the family that will be at the wedding. I know I am going to get 1,000 questions because as of this morning I am -100lbs since I saw them all a year ago! I don't want the judgement from the family, especially my fiancés grandma!!

Idk what to say to them!!!!! It's honestly stressing me out and I fly out to the wedding location in 12 days!!!

I'm glad you posted this question. I am 3 months post op and getting married in 23 days and haven't seen or told 90% of the family that will be at the wedding. I know I am going to get 1,000 questions because as of this morning I am -100lbs since I saw them all a year ago! I don't want the judgement from the family, especially my fiancés grandma!!

Idk what to say to them!!!!! It's honestly stressing me out and I fly out to the wedding location in 12 days!!!

Lots of brides lose weight before the wedding. Although 100 lbs is amazing!
I'm sure you don't want to spend the wedding explaining yourself and talking about your diet. I'd tell them you'll tell them about your diet after the wedding and today you just want to Celebrate and have fun! Accept all the compliments and enjoy the day!

Lots of brides lose weight before the wedding. Although 100 lbs is amazing!
I'm sure you don't want to spend the wedding explaining yourself and talking about your diet. I'd tell them you'll tell them about your diet after the wedding and today you just want to Celebrate and have fun! Accept all the compliments and enjoy the day!

Thankfully I fly in 11 days before the wedding so any weightloss talk should be out of the way with the immediate family before hand. Just stressing the judge mental people that think negative of people and judge them for doing what makes them happy just because they disagree!!

I have told only 3 people, my reason is simple. It's no one's business but my own. 3 years ago I decided to lose the weight and I did . I changed my eating habits and with exercise, diet pills and weight loss injections, I lost about 60lbs. I kept up the exercise but the eating habits slowly came back. I got 50 million questions on the weight loss and how I did it. I was honest, shared my tips and tricks. As I begin to put the weight back on, I got twice the number of questions and OMG the co-workers begin to talk behind my back saying things like they knew I wouldn't keep it off. Anyhow, it has taken me quite some time to decide on WLS and I have done my homework, research, and for now the best thing for me is to keep quiet. I am doing it for my health mainly because I can easily become like many of my family riddled with health issues. I'm taking control of my life and doing it my way for me. So do it for you, do what is best for you. People will always talk, let them. I just keep smiling and keep it moving