Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys! My name is Robert, today I just saw Dr. Jawad at ORMC, in Orlando, Florida. At today's appointment, we discussed three possible procedures. I currently weigh 430 pounds, and he decided that the best operation for me, would be a duodenal switch! I'm super nervous about the operation, but I can see nothing but the results, and amazing responses about the operation!

I absolutely love this community that I have found, do you guys have been absolutely amazing with your support! Any tips or feedback about the surgery that you can give me I would love to have!

Thank you so much!

Hey guys! My name is Robert, today I just saw Dr. Jawad at ORMC, in Orlando, Florida. At today's appointment, we discussed three possible procedures. I currently weigh 430 pounds, and he decided that the best operation for me, would be a duodenal switch! I'm super nervous about the operation, but I can see nothing but the results, and amazing responses about the operation!
I absolutely love this community that I have found, do you guys have been absolutely amazing with your support! Any tips or feedback about the surgery that you can give me I would love to have!
Thank you so much!

Good luck!! My revision surgery to DS is august 8th 🤞🏼[emoji4]

Hi there -

I'm a fellow newbie who went into my surgeon and asked for a sleeve gastrectomy and was told that I weighed too much for the sleeve alone to be effective. My high weight was 412. Now you may be much taller than I am at 5'6", but everything I have read since has confirmed that for someone with a BMI > 50 the DS is best. I'm now on the 6 month medically-supervised weight loss program my insurance requires, waiting to get my surgery date.

I know the DS is a big procedure, but then again, I'm a big person.

Hi there -
I'm a fellow newbie who went into my surgeon and asked for a sleeve gastrectomy and was told that I weighed too much for the sleeve alone to be effective. My high weight was 412. Now you may be much taller than I am at 5'6", but everything I have read since has confirmed that for someone with a BMI > 50 the DS is best. I'm now on the 6 month medically-supervised weight loss program my insurance requires, waiting to get my surgery date.
I know the DS is a big procedure, but then again, I'm a big person.

Same here! I'm 5-10, so our BMI is very close. I'm a little behind you, I'm awaiting my first appointment for the first weigh in!

1 hour ago, RobertIsFun said:

he decided that the best operation for me, would be a duodenal switch!

Just remember you are the one who makes this call. DS is a fantastic surgery option, but you can always change your mind and opt for a different WLS surgery. In my case what the doctor felt what was best and what I felt was best were different, and I chose to go with what made me the most comfortable. Sounds like you are on the right path, best of luck in your journey!!

The Bariatric program I opted for does not offer DS as an option. I had RNY and I am very pleased with my progress so far.The surgery did what I needed it to do. I was never full before and now I am after a small but decent sized meal.

Congratulations!

You're getting the [loop DS, SADI, or SIPS correct]? From previous patients I'm told that's what he calls the DS, however, it isn't the traditional DS with 2 anastomoses. I just want to ensure you know what you're getting.

Both are great WLS but are different.

Edited by Postop

Congratulations!
You're getting the [loop DS, SADI, or SIPS correct]? From previous patients I'm told that's what he calls the DS, however, it isn't the traditional DS with 2 anastomoses. I just want to ensure you know what you're getting.
Both are great WLS but are different.

I has the DS with single anastomoses. No regrets

I has the DS with single anastomoses. No regrets

That's what I'm getting too on August 8[emoji16]

I had the option of having the sleeve instead of the DS. I opted for the DS because statistically it has the best long-term results for keeping the weight off. I tried the band for two years and it was not effective for me at all. If I was going under the knife a second time, I didn't want the potential to fail again. The DS felt like more of a sure thing.

On 6/29/2017 at 8:12 PM, RobertIsFun said:

Thank you so much!

I am also having the DS done by Dr. Jawad but not until January. I am so looking forward to it.