Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Cheat On Your Pre Op Diet?

Today is day 11 of 14 for me. I am only supposed to have 3-4 Protein Shakes, Water, broth, sugar free Jello or sugar free posicles. I have to admit that I have eaten steamed cauliflower a couple of times. I have not added any fat to it. Do you think this will hurt anything or cause them to not do the surgery?

Today is day 11 of 14 for me. I am only supposed to have 3-4 Protein Shakes, Water, broth, sugar free Jello or sugar free posicles. I have to admit that I have eaten steamed cauliflower a couple of times. I have not added any fat to it. Do you think this will hurt anything or cause them to not do the surgery?

I had asked a similar question on here, as I cheated with baked chicken once. I've heard every surgeon has a different plan/idea for their patients. I have 3 days left of my pre op. The day after, I actually called my surgeon and told him that I had broke down and cheated once. He told me, "thank you for your honesty. The point of this diet was not to starve you, was not to upset you, but to test how you could handle being restricted. You were honest, and cheated with a sensible meal," (as I only had chicken. A tiny bit of seasoning on it, no sauce, no drinks during, nothing else on the plate. I don't think some steamed veggies will hurt you, but like I said, every surgeon is different. Your cheating wasn't with "bad" foods, but maybe just try calling him or when you go in, talk to him about it.

Good luck, and remember, only 3 more days of it!! Is your surgery June 27th?

Just now, kasemcd said:

I had asked a similar question on here, as I cheated with baked chicken once. I've heard every surgeon has a different plan/idea for their patients. I have 3 days left of my pre op. The day after, I actually called my surgeon and told him that I had broke down and cheated once. He told me, "thank you for your honesty. The point of this diet was not to starve you, was not to upset you, but to test how you could handle being restricted. You were honest, and cheated with a sensible meal," (as I only had chicken. A tiny bit of seasoning on it, no sauce, no drinks during, nothing else on the plate. I don't think some steamed veggies will hurt you, but like I said, every surgeon is different. Your cheating wasn't with "bad" foods, but maybe just try calling him or when you go in, talk to him about it.

Good luck, and remember, only 3 more days of it!! Is your surgery June 27th?

Thank you! Surgery is the 26th, I am so nervous!

Thank you! Surgery is the 26th, I am so nervous!

Mine is the 27th!! You'll do great, you seem to have a great mindset. I was a little nervous but a close friend of mine talked me out of my nerves. Just think, in just a couple days we'lol both be done with surgery and on our way to healthier lives :)

12 minutes ago, kasemcd said:

Mine is the 27th!! You'll do great, you seem to have a great mindset. I was a little nervous but a close friend of mine talked me out of my nerves. Just think, in just a couple days we'lol both be done with surgery and on our way to healthier lives :)

Yay! Congratulations and good luck! And thank you!

Guess all preop diets are different, I can have some veggies in an unlimited quantity, cauliflower is one of them...

Good luck ya'all! My surgery is June 28th!

I didn't but mine didn't seem as hard. I had 20 days of mainly liquid but I was able to have one healthy choice meal each day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

oh heck yes, I had bought an all natural organic 100% pure jar of Peanut Butter right before I decided surgery. I had learned the trick to pour all the oil off the top to lower fat a lot, and I did. For the last week or so, I've had a small spoon of peanut butter almost every day, teaspoon at most. Its so unbelievably thick from the fridge that it takes almost 10 minutes to slowly eat a spoonful. I enjoy every second of it. Besides that, the only other cheats I did were on day 1 of my all shakes, then all easily edible food was removed from the house or thrown in the garbage. Down 20lbs in 3 weeks so I don't exactly feel bad about it (well secretly I feel a little bad..)

I'm on day 8 of 14 right now. I haven't cheated at all yet. The 2 and 3 day were like torture, but on the 4th day something clicked and I didn't fee hungry anymore. I've cut about 10lbs so far this week and feel fine. I was nervous that it would be hell just getting to the surgery and couldn't imagine how it would be once I made it and had to wait even longer to eat anything. So for now I'm in good spirits and just waiting for July 6 to get this party started.

My surgery is July 18 second day on shakes it's been quite hard to not just reach for something to eat . Had a bad time July 5 at a BBQ and all most couldn't stand it . I did cheat and had a little spoon I just had to taste I just took a small bite . Then I was fine.

You should be fine. My surgeon/dietician prescribed preop diet is vegetables ( except peas, corn, potatoes and pumpkins ) and 3 Protein shakes per day. 1 teaspoon of oil a day and I can use it in salad or to sauté the vegetables.