Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded and scared....

I was banded on October 4th (last Thursday). I have been following my doctors orders to a tee. He only had us on Clear Liquids for two days following surgery, then full liquids after that. Starting on Saturday I started feeling really burpy, like I had lots of little bubbles stuck in my belly, but for the most part couldn't get any of them up. Then yesterday I started feeling like I was choking alot. Particularly when I stood up or moved around. It would be a very similar feeling to when you eat so much you've made yourself sick. The thought of food is just disgusting to me (and all I've eaten yesterday was two Protein Shakes and some Tomato soup). I was just asleep and when I got up I felt the same feeling like something was rushing up to my throat. I felt like I was choking, only this time I started vomiting. (Sorry if this is gross) But it was like I had a full on stomach flu, but was only vomiting up saliva. Is this strange or normal? My husband was banded two weeks before me and hasn't experienced any of these feelings. Any ideas as to what this is?

:help:

I was told to avoid the Tomato Soup. The acid in the tomatoes would not agree with me. Are you able to sip Water without problems? Sorry I dont have any ideas because I never had any of the things people are posting about. I stayed on clear liquids for 2 weeks after surgery before going to full liquids. If it doesnt go away real soon, call or go back to your dr just to be sure....Dave

i was on clear liquids for a week and liquids for 2 weeks. 3 weeks liquid is even better. the more time you let your band heal in place the more scar tissue and adhesion forms. this will help reduce the chance of slips or erosion later. Tomato Soup is the last thing id drink. try some hot boullion Soup. worked for me. good luck

You may want to call your doctor....but I have experienced the exact same thing. Some people are different, but my doctor had me on full liquids for 2 weeks following surgery, because the stomach needs a chance to heal....I am real surprised you had tomator Soup so soon after surgery, but I know doctors are different in what they recommend. Because you are having problems, I would lay off the soup and try just liquid, but I am certainly no doctor......this is just what my doctor ordered. He also told me never lay down after you have eaten....wait at least 1 hour. With your stomach still swollen from surgery, I am sure that is why your Tomato Soup is coming back up. But I did experience the saliva (long and stringy) coming up........just be gentle to your stomach right now and this stage will pass, but if you are scared, call your doctor. Also, I was told in the beginnig with the Protein Shakes, never drink anymore than 2-4 ounces at a time. Are you drinking an entire Protein Shake at one time? It seems to me like your stomach is telling you (too much at one time) Slow down and take it easy....give your tummy time to heal. Hope this helps, but like I said, I am NO DOCTOR....this is just what worked for me. Hope this helps.

Yeah, my doctor said I could have "anything through a straw" after the second day. I drink the entire shake, but it takes me about an hour to do it. I was thinking about going back to clear liquids anyway. After yesterday I don't think I could eat Soup again even if I wanted too. Yuck!

Apparently my stomach was just a little more sensitive than my husbands. I don't want mess anything up, so back to clear liquids it is!

Some people ingest air when they drink from straws, so straws are a no-no. But you may be using that as a reference point to say, if it has the consistency to go through a straw.

I would talk to the Dr. He/she should be your first visit or phone call for any complications.

I know, I don't actually drink it through a straw, but it was of the right consistency. I have an appointment with the nurse later on today. I hope she can help with what may be causing this. I truly have followed every one of their discharge instructions. And actually, they aren't against the use of straws either, I just know better because of what I've read online.

I had the same feeling after my surgery, but it went away. I felt like air was trapped. But it did go away at about 2 weeks. But you should still get it checked out.

More than likely, you are still swollen. At the swelling goes down, your liquids will pass more easily.

some doctors add some saline to the band during surgery. Did your doc do this? If your dr. did, then maybe you need an unfill till your swelling goes down. Just a thought. Good luck.

I was banded on October 4th (last Thursday). I have been following my doctors orders to a tee. He only had us on Clear liquids for two days following surgery, then full liquids after that. Starting on Saturday I started feeling really burpy, like I had lots of little bubbles stuck in my belly, but for the most part couldn't get any of them up. Then yesterday I started feeling like I was choking alot. Particularly when I stood up or moved around. It would be a very similar feeling to when you eat so much you've made yourself sick. The thought of food is just disgusting to me (and all I've eaten yesterday was two Protein shakes and some Tomato soup). I was just asleep and when I got up I felt the same feeling like something was rushing up to my throat. I felt like I was choking, only this time I started vomiting. (Sorry if this is gross) But it was like I had a full on stomach flu, but was only vomiting up saliva. Is this strange or normal? My husband was banded two weeks before me and hasn't experienced any of these feelings. Any ideas as to what this is?

:help:

From past experience it sounds like you have a lot of swelling from surgery thus, restriction. You really shouldn't lay down after eating, people sometimes confuse reflux with a PB and it sounds like you are PBing on liquids. :eek:

Feeling gassy and not being able to burp is another thing lots of us experience. Your stoma acts as a one way valve now, air goes down but it doesn't come up very well. It will come "out" though, give it time.

Lots of walking, a heating pad, and sometimes people swear by sitting in a rocking chair makes a big difference in gas issues.

I went and saw the doctor this afternoon. They are pretty sure it's swelling because of the surgery. They put me on some pretty serious anti-swelling (I'm sure there is a more technical term) medication. I have to go back and see them on Friday, and until then they want me on clear liquids. This is especially bad because the medication they put me on is only suppose to be taken with food. Yeah right, is there such a thing as food anymore? I think I'll sleep sitting upright tonight.

Thanks for all your help!

I was banded on Oct. 5th. My Dr. has me on liquids only until next Sat. Then I can move on to soft foods only for 2 more weeks. I am VERY prone to heartburn and have continued taking my pepcid daily. Maybe the tomatoes(very acidy) gave you heartburn in your tiny pouch? I am burping quite often too, DH says it's gross but what can you do? I like the idea about the rocker, we have one in the garage, I'll have to beg for it's return! Karen

My doctor presribed Nexium for me...I didn't know why...I just took it. (I am such a sheep.) But now I see why. I do get a case of small burps every once in a while...