Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS for a sugar/carb addict and binger?

Excellent POST!!! Well said, thank you

8 hours ago, Yettid said:

Thanks all! Essentially, I guess the question is, will wls help me stop binging and eating sugar ? I've tried everything else this far and I go back to it:(

No, I'm sorry, it really won't. In fact, in our program people who binge eat are not approved for surgery whatsoever until they have their binge eating under control first. (I believe one woman in my support group said she needed to be six+ months free of a binging episode before being allowed to sign?) If you are a true compulsive overeater and binger, surgery will NOT fix those compulsions... and you could wind up badly hurting yourself!

Of course, I'm talking about true compulsive overeating binging, which is a serious psychological issue and a genuine eating disorder not "I went to a Pasta joint and ate SO MUCH BREADSTICKS AND THEN HAD SPAGHETTI!" which of course ain't great for you and often makes you feel like poop on a stick, but isn't the same thing as binge eating disorder either.

In the second case surgery will definitely limit your appetite and portion sizes to a given extent.

As for the sweets, nope, there's really no guarantee it's going to help with that. My first few weeks out I couldn't stand anything sweet whatsoever, but my sweet tooth is definitely back now! Some people experience dumping syndrome when they eat sweets, which can work as negative reinforcement, but it's not for all sweet foods and it often goes away the farther out from surgery you are.

Surgery is an amazingly powerful and life-changing tool, but it has limits. There are some things the surgery can really help with, but other things we must work on and fix ourselves.

Edited by teacupnosaucer

Very well stated. Im 72 and i am stuck with old body images. I cant dismiss a gain as easily as u do. But one thing i do not experience 5.5 years out from surgery is the sleeve stopping me from overeating anything.

10 hours ago, teacupnosaucer said:

No, I'm sorry, it really won't. In fact, in our program people who binge eat are not approved for surgery whatsoever until they have their binge eating under control first. (I believe one woman in my support group said she needed to be six+ months free of a binging episode before being allowed to sign?) If you are a true compulsive overeater and binger, surgery will NOT fix those compulsions... and you could wind up badly hurting yourself!

Of course, I'm talking about true compulsive overeating binging, which is a serious psychological issue and a genuine eating disorder not "I went to a Pasta joint and ate SO MUCH BREADSTICKS AND THEN HAD SPAGHETTI!" which of course ain't great for you and often makes you feel like poop on a stick, but isn't the same thing as binge eating disorder either.

In the second case surgery will definitely limit your appetite and portion sizes to a given extent.

As for the sweets, nope, there's really no guarantee it's going to help with that. My first few weeks out I couldn't stand anything sweet whatsoever, but my sweet tooth is definitely back now! Some people experience dumping syndrome when they eat sweets, which can work as negative reinforcement, but it's not for all sweet foods and it often goes away the farther out from surgery you are.

Surgery is an amazingly powerful and life-changing tool, but it has limits. There are some things the surgery can really help with, but other things we must work on and fix ourselves.

Great info. Thanks! I'm not sure I have Binge eating disorders but I can eat a pound of chocolate or half tub of ice cream. And donuts, ugh 3 or 4!😳

2 hours ago, reallyrosy said:

Very well stated. Im 72 and i am stuck with old body images. I cant dismiss a gain as easily as u do. But one thing i do not experience 5.5 years out from surgery is the sleeve stopping me from overeating anything.

The last sentence of your post actually reinforces what @blizair09 said that you seemed offended by. His post was directed at someone considering the VSG who has food addictions. He was stating the facts so that they could be well informed that the sleeve is not going to work unless they change their relationship with foods. He stated the most likely reasons why people regain weight, and your own post says that the sleeve does not stop you from overeating.

Bingo.... we have to stop ourselves. We need to figure out what we as individuals need to do to prevent ourselves from falling back into the same habits that got us fat in the first place. I am only 5 weeks post-op so I need to be paying attention to the advice of others who have been successful. That doesn't mean I will do everything exactly like they did, but I will most definitely listen to their plainly stated facts and apply them where they can help me to succeed.

I think we need to practice being honest with ourselves regarding areas of our eating habits that need to change. Obviously blizair has figured out what works for him, and I hope to do the same.

Well we all got fat eating too much.. So is binge eating when u overeat every single day or what? My issue is I will go about 3 days eating good then weekends eating as much as I want but I don't know if that's binge eating?

10 minutes ago, NYCGAL000 said:

Well we all got fat eating too much.. So is binge eating when u overeat every single day or what? My issue is I will go about 3 days eating good then weekends eating as much as I want but I don't know if that's binge eating?

True we all ate too much, but I would argue that there are important differences. Some people are sugar addicts, some carb addicts, some just had portion problems. Some have actual binge eating disorders.

I don't know if you are binge eating or not. I would talk to your surgeon. Most programs have information meetings and physc evaluations that would be able to help determine what your issues are.

I think we can all be successful if we identify what our problems are and work through them while using the surgery as a tool to help us.

Really? You don't have any restriction? You can eat as much as you did before? My understanding is that's not the norm. Did you surgeon remove the fundus? Are you a sleeve or bypass patient?

The studies I read say most people lose to an "artificial" low and then gain to their natural new low. Most of the people I know who have maintained well maintain at 10-20lbs over their very lowest. That's why a small regain doesn't bother me.

And just to clarify... a large regain I wouldn't write off. A regain into unhealthy territory I wouldn't write off. The last 10-20 lbs for ME are vanity pounds. They are what let me fit into my size 4 skinny jeans and wear a bikini, not what keep my blood pressure low and from diabeties.

And to clarify for those debating true eating disorder binge eating... I had it, clinically diagnosed. And for ME the sleeve was the TOOL that allowed all my therapy and such to work. The therapy alone wouldn't have done it, the sleeve alone wouldn't have done it. The two combined did. And I'm four years out and maintaining.

Great info. Thanks! I'm not sure I have Binge eating disorders but I can eat a pound of chocolate or half tub of ice cream. And donuts, ugh 3 or 4![emoji15]

Binge eating is less about the amount than the loss of control and compulsiveness. It's eating out of control for a discrete period of time, not being able to stop. "Coming to" and not even being aware of how much. Almost a fugue state or trance.

If we could stop ourselves, why would we need The surgery? Truly wondering. I think many of us need BOTH, the mental help AND the physical help.

Jess i had vertical sleeve and never was questioned about a fundus. This is the first time anyone mentioned it. I also was dx'd with SIBO but that provider is in another state and cannot treat me unless i drive 4 hourz to see her. So i found another "voodoo" doc to see here where i live. The supplements did seem to help and i had better control with thsm. But with my a fib situation, i dont want to take supplements without supervision. The western med docs did not discourage me from Seeing her but they freely admit they do not know what tge supplements actually do. They helped mainly with lack of energy and fatigue and depression and anxiety but we hadn't got to the bacteria as yet. I hope this closer voodoo provider will be netter match

1 hour ago, jess9395 said:

If we could stop ourselves, why would we need The surgery? Truly wondering. I think many of us need BOTH, the mental help AND the physical help.

That is exactly my sentiment. If I could stop eating with therapy or diet, why would I need surgery ? Thanks Jess, you get me. Lol

1 hour ago, jess9395 said:

I agree, and I think that was the point of this whole thread. To say that the surgery is a tool when coupled with therapy and hard work could help those with food addictions be successful.