Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody used Dr. Mueller in San Diego?

Hi-yes I had Dr. Mueller do the lap-band in early September and I was also a self pay. Very nice, very professional, no problems-prepare for a few days of pain and soreness but then no problem. Let me know if you have other questions...

Hi and thanks for your reply. I am scheduled for the 26th of this month and am struggling with the pre-op diet. Sheesh, if I could stick with it I wouldn't need the surgery. Wishing you continued success.:eek:

I am about to have Dr. Mueller perform the procedure. There is one small issue for me right now. Dr. Mueller requires his patients to enroll in a $200 private electronic forum (nowhere near as broad or extensive as lapbandtalk.com), and $100 support groups.

I am not sure if this is his individual requirement or that of his medical group. It is just an extra $300 bill foisted upon the patient. I’ve spoken with my attorney about it and he says there is nothing to be done (beyond complain – after the surgery). The lawyer says there are no rules against it. If a potential surgeon expects you to buy a set of encyclopedias or a vacuum cleaner prior to service, your only choice is to proceed or change doctors.

Personally I think this is an abuse. We’ve come down a long road and in the 11th hour the surgeon springs this extra compulsory (uncovered by insurance) fee on the patient. Changing surgeons one week before an approved scheduled surgery is quite daunting.

It is something that I would have considered up front if I had known about it.

It makes me wonder how that $300 is divided up. Does Dr. Mueller get a kick back for compelling his patients to subscribe to these services? I believe THAT would be a crime – and something that I will pursue in my post-surgery complaint.

Hi Gus-I just had the surgery a few months ago and I did not have anything like it. However I did have some kind of fee for exercise classes and such-it is silly-however I actually would have loved to have the support group and online forum option!

Anyway just do it-you'll be glad you did!

Hello Gus, I was a self pay with Dr. Mueller and was not told I had to join an online forum. The total cost did include a mandatory monthly excercise class for one year.

Califmoonchild and Sugar Addict how are you doing after the surgery? Are you still on the liquid diet?

The $200 forum was tagged along with the detailed on-line survey that Dr. Mueller required. So it sounds like the $300 is all for an exercise program. $300 for 12 sessions? WOW that doesn’t seem like a very good value. How many people attend these classes? At $25 a head per day someone is making a boatload of cash. Being self-pay, they probably just rolled that cost into the flat fee they quoted you.

Hi Gus123...I found the whole thing to be pretty pleasant...I felt very well taken care of and the surgery was very fast. The hardest part is the pre and post diet!!!!

yes I was very sore after the surgery and then within a few days it gets better. I did not think I was going to make it on the presurgery diet and Dr. Mueller is a stickler. The post surgery diet was even harder!!! But it was amazing to not eat for a few days and still feel normal-anyway the time goes by quickly and so does the weight...get lots of instant cream of wheat!

There are lots of foods that I can't really eat anymore-but that is more likely do to my inability to slow down when I eat..I don't eat Pasta or bread very often. chicken has to be really moist; I can handle steak and potatos. I still eat nuts, popcorn occaisionally and drink beer in great moderation...each person is different though and you must listen to the advise of Dr. Mueller or Naomi-they know a lot.

I had one fill about 2 months ago and I have not really needed another one yet-I still tend to get too full and still throw up occaisionally and that is not OK.

I am very satisfied after I eat and if you are an emotional eater, beware because even though you may not be hungry, you will have emotions!

I told the exercise lady that I currently work out very strenuously and getting to THEIR exercise classes would be impossible with two young kids. She said I did not have to take the classes if my instructors at the gym signed off on the workouts. No one has ever asked for this documentation but I do work out very strenuous 4-6 time/week.

All in all I am quite happy with the lap band. I started out at 220 and I am done to 185. Much of my weight was lost in the pre and post diet but I do continue to loose slowly. My goal is 140-150. I am currently eating whatever I want and for the time being it is fine especially with my workouts. I will have to use more control though to get to my goal.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

I did not think I was going to make it on the presurgery diet and Dr. Mueller is a stickler. The post surgery diet was even harder!!!

I got the same impression. I’ve complied and had good success. Fortunately I have not had much trouble on the presurgical diet. I’ve been on it for 3 weeks and have a few more before my surgery. I’ve responded well to Atkins-type induction phase diets in the past, so the weight is coming off quickly.

I’m not sure what the post surgical diet will be, but I can do the current diet more. I am searching for a personal food processor that I can carry with me. I really want to avoid the feeling of “getting stuck” even to the point where I grind all my food. I don’t know about if I am an emotional eater, but I know I am an absent-minded eater. It is a habit that the lapband and “getting stuck” will help me change.

I had my surgery on 12/11/07 with Doctor Mueller. He did a fine job. I recovered very quickly gas pain in about 24 hours.

I've had quite a few wounds in my life so I know a good stitch job when I got one. Dr. Mueller used super glue to close the 5 incisions. This approach should leave little or no scaring in time. In one year’s time I may have a difficult time locating these incision marks.

My biggest apprehension was potential acid reflux. Dr. Mueller found and corrected a minor hiatal hernia. And I have not had any reflux issues at all.

So far, so good. Only time will tell if I can be one of the lucky 70% of the people that can keep the lap band beyond 5 years.

Dr. Mueller did my surgery on 12-3 . . . and everything went well. The $300 fee was for the year of exercise classes - made up of just his patients - and also for the monthly support group sessions we are required to attend for a year. Also - one jar of whey Isotobe . . . I'm very happy with his office - and I get my first fill on Jan 2. He said he was fairly agressive with the fills. So . . . one week from today I start a new phase of this journey.

Dr. Mueller did my surgery on 12-3 . . . and everything went well. The $300 fee was for the year of exercise classes - made up of just his patients - and also for the monthly support group sessions we are required to attend for a year. Also - one jar of Whey Isotobe . . . I'm very happy with his office - and I get my first fill on Jan 2. He said he was fairly agressive with the fills. So . . . one week from today I start a new phase of this journey.

Sugar Addict are you my twin? Just kidding. I am scheduled for February 5, 2008 with Dr. Mueller. Have a 6 1/2 year old and an almost 9 year old. Starting at 223, goal 140-150. Would love to check in eith you on your progress. Live in Point Loma, work at SDSU. Erin

I know this is an old post but just in case someone searches for Dr. Mueller I wanted to throw my two cents in. I had surgery on 9/1/09 by Dr Mueller and at two weeks out I couldn't be happier. There is a $300 fee but since insurance covered my surgery 100% I was only too happy to pay it. They didn't spring it on me either, I was notified at the seminar that there would be a $300 fee. His office has been great and everyone is wonderful. His office also has many exercise opportunities: the exercise class before the support group meetings, a monthly walk around (lucky me) a lake near my house with Monique, and during the summer months they have another monthly walk around the bay with Dr Mueller. I really couldn't be happier!