Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help With Hesitation Before Surgery

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, Iwanttofitinmyweddingdress said:

Hey, I was sleeved on June 6th recently. All I can say is be brace. At the hospital, ask for pain medicine when your gas pain because really uncomfortable. It will help you sleep better. Bring something to do while you are there, bring a travel pillow that goes around the neck. Drink warm tea before you go on walks around the hospital. Focus on the cute clothes you will be able to fit in, and how great you will look when you reach your goal. That was how my mindset is. When you get home, be active, treat yourself to a pedicure a few days after, and take good care of yourself. You will have a incision with a dent around it, that is where your stomach was taken out, it will bruise around it and will hurt the most out of all incisions. Don't take your pain meds unless you really need them. Have somebody beat you home from the hospital by an hour with prescriptions, get stool softner if it isn't prescribed. It will save your life. Just expect watery poop. They may send you home this breathing tool because of the anesthesia, you gotta suck the air and get it past a certain number, gotta do it so your lungs don't collapse and you get pneumonia. It will hurt to cough, put keep a huge long pillow on your side so it doesn't hurt so much when you cough.

If you have anymore question, let me know. :)

Thank you for the advice!

I was terrified the day before surgery and was going to cancel until I joined this support group.
Someone said "are you going to give up being healthy and eating right for a piece of pizza I can't have?
I am 3 months post op.
This is the best thing I have done.
No more meds, lost 53 lbs, knee feels better, blood pressure good,sugar level good,.
So everything will be fine.
Time will move fast.
Take GAS X for gas pain and walk,walk,walk.

Sent from my D6708 using BariatricPal mobile app

23 minutes ago, arringtonc49 said:

I was terrified the day before surgery and was going to cancel until I joined this support group.
Someone said "are you going to give up being healthy and eating right for a piece of pizza I can't have?
I am 3 months post op.
This is the best thing I have done.
No more meds, lost 53 lbs, knee feels better, blood pressure good,sugar level good,.
So everything will be fine.
Time will move fast.
Take GAS X for gas pain and walk,walk,walk.

Sent from my D6708 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for the encouragement! It is incredibly helpful.

I was more nervous the closer the date got. May 31. I'm 2 weeks post op. I had years rolling down my cheeks as I was sliding over into the operating table . I remember apologizing for crying and one of them saying give her the rest of the fentanyl. Then it was over. I felt horrible and regretted it as soon as I got to my room and had to walk to the bathroom the first time. The sharp gas pain in my shoulder was the worst. They fill your abdominal cavity with co2 to work laparoscopically. Then every sip hurt and my stomach rumbled with gas ALOT. Stayed 2 nights in the hospital. When I went home I want sure I was ready. The other girls seemed to be feeling better and getting more fluids in than me. I questioned whether I may just be a "baby that can't handle pain in my old age." Then after going home and pushing myself a little more each day, I realized it would be fine. I had that gas pain in my shoulder for a week. I couldn't lay in bed flat or it was worse, so slept on the couch with pillow on side of my head. Today I started soft food. I had a scrambled egg and it was fine. I fell pretty decent. My suggestions, gas x strips, liquid Tylenol, generic colace and I like the convenience of the little bottles of Water. Anytime something hurts or doesn't feel right I would get up and walk and it usually helped. Oh and when I went to my 1 week appointment to get my drain out, I was down 13 lbs.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for your help! Long-term outcome is a worry of mine as well. I know how to eat right and I know how to lose weight. I am completely confident that I will be able to make the necessary life-style changes in the short term, but I do worry about 5 years, 10 years, even 30 years down the road. I've been around the block a few times and I know that life is not static and people are always evolving. I am in a good place currently to have this procedure and make the changes, but will this work for me when I'm 60? 70? What if I develop a serious illness down the road? Will this procedure impact my ability to recover? Maybe I'm worrying too much!

Hi- I hear your concerns re: long-term efficacy. While reading this post, I kept thinking, what happens in 5, 10, 30 years down the road in the absence of surgery? I've been on more diets than years I've been alive (I'm 46), and surgery and post-op physically has been a breeze. I mean that sincerely; although I can obviously only speak for myself. The emotional piece has been a ride. The confusion about my body, its transformation, and the future have been more intense than I anticipated. Not only have I been in therapy with the same person for 25 years, but I'm also a therapist. You think I'd be prepared! As it turns out, I overcomplicated the physical/eating piece, and that's been a relief in many ways. Meaning, it's a relief to not have the physical ability to overeat. Anyhow, I know this is getting long and tangential, and for all I know you've resolved what you came here asking- but my personal bottom line is this: the surgery itself is straightforward and minimally invasive. I had zero pain, but cannot promise that! I think if you look at the surgery as a tool, as opposed to a solution, you'll put a lot less pressure on the whole thing, including yourself. Hope this makes sense! And I hope for you to feel great about whatever you do.

Ahh, I feel incredibly lucky to have avoided the gas pain. I have chronic back pain, so I was up walking more than not- I suspect that helped. Not being able to take in any liquid the night after surgery is my biggest complaint. Bring Vaseline, carmex, blistex, chapstick- whatever your preference of lip balm, it helped me tremendously. Good luck! You'll be home before you know it, and posting to provide someone else with encouragement. [emoji5]

My surgery is in 6 days (June 22nd) and like you I've been round and round the doubting cycle for weeks, but then if you consider how long I've been in the dieting cycle of loss-gain, loss-gain for over 35 years, then fear of taking such dramatic changes to achieve my life long desire is to be expected.
I've read as much literature, experiences, and facts I can possibly cram into my head
Has it helped? Not sure, knowledge and feelings don't always connect

All I know is I've lived this way all my life, and at 49 it's increasingly affecting my health, and stopping me from doing things I really want to, so unless I'm willing to just sit around and watch life pass me by, its time to give my body a break, it's tired of carrying a double decker bus around.
Time to change for the good [emoji4]

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A110 using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery is on the 27 the of June I am 30 and a mother of 3 -3 c sections, my weight is 227 pounds, m scared but excited too, my only fear is regain after wards, mixed emotions. But most of all excited [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I am scheduled for the sleeve on July 10th and I am brimming over with worry and hesitation. I am scared about altering my body forever and nervous about the transition into post-op life. Do any post-ops have advice for overcoming these worries? Did anyone have hesitation going into surgery and have input from the other side? Thanks!

I was hesitant from the very first appointment -- last October. I was worried I would miss out on too much, especially alcohol and caffeine tbh. I only half-heartedly did the 6 months supervised dieting, the whole time thinking I wouldn't do it. Then once surgery was approved by ins and scheduled, I was excited. The month prior to surgery I was really committed, quit all alcohol and sugar, etc, and lost around 10 lbs. in the weeks leading up to surgery. Brace yourself now - the few days before surgery are 100% filled with reluctance to do it. I never came close to backing out but I thought it every moment. I have young kids and was worried. Had the surgery on 5/10. The week after was not bad, and since then I feel so happy. Even being relieved from a perceived dependence on my coffee, my wine, etc. is gone. I feel strong and powerful. So far have lost another 19 lbs and people are noticing that, but the biggest change for me has been to my mindset. All that said--do what your gut compels you to do. You can and should trust yourself. All the best either way!

My surgery is on the 27 the of June I am 30 and a mother of 3 -3 c sections, my weight is 227 pounds, m scared but excited too, my only fear is regain after wards, mixed emotions. But most of all excited [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I have 3 with 3 c's as well! I am curious to see if the VSG surgery is comparable to the c sections as far as pain/discomfort. From the reading I've done it seems like recovery is much faster. I have 9 years and 30 pounds on you, so be glad you're taking this step now instead of waiting!