Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic surgery and a TMI belly button question...

I've lost a good bit by now (84lbs with 39 to go) my belly button isn't getting any air and it's gross and smelly and wet. Sooo gross. I've tried lotrimin spray and alcohol to clean it but it's still gross. Any advise on how to deal with this?

Also when do you start thinking about plastic surgery. Again I still have a ways to go but I'm already seeing belly button issues and thinking I need to wrap my head around another surgery. And also what's the chance I get my insurance company to pay for it?

Band to sleeve revision surgery 1/16/17

HW: 283

CW: 199

GW: 160

Insurances usually pay for procedures if there are rashes and wounds resulting from the excess skin.

As for the belly button, after it is clean and dry, try powders, and even absorbent dressings in it. I'd even attempt taping the skin on the upper flap "up" to try and let some air in.

Antiperspirant deodorant might help cut down on some of the wetness (if it is coming from sweat)

And of course, see your doctor, as they need to document the problem, and might have better solutions for you than I can come up with.

I could even see getting some sort of abdominal Shapewear that might lift things...

Try and wait until you are at goal and weight-stable before getting the surgery. You will be happier with the result.

I use a Q-tip to clean and dry inside mine, then run another Q-tip with Bag Balm (basically Vaseline) inside to keep the skin protected and to keep it from getting irritated and red. I've done this for years and it seems to work.

If all else fails have your Dr give you a precription. Which will work inn your favor when you want Skin Removal later on. I had skin issues BAD!! After I lost my weight. I documented everything with my Suregon. PCP and my Dermatolist. I had my RNY on July 2, 2013. In Sept of 2015 I had my Panni done. It was covered 100% by my insureance. I have Medicare and Champ VA. Such a blessing. Insureance usually will cover skin removal if you have skin issues. When you get close to having it done let your Suregon's office get the info to your Insureance. They do this all the time and know exactly what they require. BTW I also took pictures of my issue on my phone just inm case. I don't know how you carry your weight but I had most of my weight around my stomach. The thing I would recommend is go for the Tummy Tuck with muscle repair if at all possible. Good Luck

Thanks everyone. I'm trying a bunch of diff things and will contact my pcp tomorrow. I have another question tho is it that the insurance will cover a panni but not a Tummy Tuck? And do most surgeons/insurance whoever allow you to pay the difference? Is that how it works generally?

Band to sleeve revision surgery 1/16/17
HW: 283
CW: 199
GW: 160

So based on the fact you have a smell...I'm thinking you may have a yeast issue. I would try q-tips soaked in vinegar. (Dilute some white vinegar if skin is too irritated to handle it straight) then use a blow dryer on a cold to warm setting to dry the the area. The vinegar did wonders for me pre-op. Would think it should work for you as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches