Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Long Journey of the one they call Ang

I had my VGS on May 8th. I am almost 1 month post-op and am feeling much better. The decision for surgery took over a year of research, seminars, classes, tests...and a long discussion with my husband. Together we decided this life change would be best for me and my health.

Let's go back to the beginning....

At age 6 I was diagnosed with Legg-Calve-Perthe's Disease in my left hip. As described below:

Legg-Calve-Perthes disease occurs when blood supply is temporarily interrupted to the ball part (femoral head) of the hip joint. Without sufficient blood flow, the bone begins to die — so it breaks more easily and heals poorly.

My form of the disease never healed. the femoral head died and fused with the rest of my hip. There are many who go through puberty and the hip heals itself. My childhood was spent in braces keeping my hips aligned to help with the healing process. I was never allowed to play like the other kids, participate in sports or pretty much anything else. It was a long childhood...that turned into long teenage years. From that and poor food choices by my parents and myself I became the fat kid. I was the one everyone made fun of. I had to ride the handicapped bus for 2 years and that's what started it all. The constant bullying made for a very angry girl/teenager. Fast forward to age 20, we went to the orthopedist's office to try and have my hip replaced but he refused stating there could still be some growth in the hip. Most of my 20's were spent on pain meds and weight gain and depression. In 1994 I decided to go on a diet. I went from 288 to 222 pounds in 6 months. I managed to keep it off for a year. It slowly crept back on...again, poor food choices and no exercise.

When I was 28 I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis & Fibromyalgia. Medication was added as well as gaining weight. I was in such extreme pain and found comfort in food. In 2001 I found a surgeon in Seattle to discuss the possibility of hip replacement. At my appointment he was shocked it hadn't been replaced years ago and was disgusted at my previous provider's decision to not help me. During the surgery it took 5 people to dislocate my fused hip so they could replace it. Recovery was a long process and a lot of bad food choices since I couldn't cook. Even after having my hip replaced I struggled with my weight. When I married my 2nd husband in 2005 I weighed 304 pounds. Later that year I was diagnosed with Diabetes, peripheral neuropathy and a slew of other conditions. I was put on Metformin and over 2 years lost 40 pounds. I decided again to lose weight before I turned 40. I managed to get down to 221 pounds for about 6 months. My father passed away in December of 2012. I lost it...didn't care about anything. I was so depressed and had so much anxiety that I turned to binge eating for about a year. The physical pain was way better than the mental pain. I finally admitted to my provider at an appointment what I had been doing and we started working towards being healthy. Yet I still had a hard time controlling my diabetes, my RA was bad, the neuropathy was horrible and I felt so defeated. Like so many others I just gave up at that point. I ate what I wanted. My husband works nights so getting takeout was the easiest choice. I rarely cooked but when I did it certainly wasn't healthy food.

In January of 2017 after many years of only having one insurance, I was able to be double covered!! I work for a Hospital and the insurance covered the bariatric surgery. I checked the benefits on my husbands insurance and sure enough...COVERED!!! I went to the seminar and from that point I decided this is what I needed to have done to save my life. (I've struggled with anxiety of thinking I am going to die at 60 like my dad did). Had my nutritionist visit, nutrition class, labs, EGD, EKG, Pre-op and surgery was May 8th.

I like many others questioned my sanity after waking up from the surgery. I was so uncomfortable and in pain and depressed. That first day anyways...when I got home I felt much better. I am fully committed to this lifestyle change. I've struggled the past month with spasms, feeling too full, trying to get in my Water requirement and the Protein but this is what I signed up for. I want to live past 60. I want to be healthy. I want to get off my medications. I want to be happy with myself.

Today my weight is 215. On admit I was 246 and on 5/10/17 I was 256. I am not in a hurry to lose the weight. I feel blessed where I am right now. I am still learning to listen to my stomach and not my head. I am focusing on the future and trying to live a healthy life. It's interesting to see what your stomach can and can't handle. Sometimes it's painful but heck at least I know for right now what I can eat.

If you are reading this, thank you for taking the time. I know it's really long, I just wanted to share parts of my life and struggles with you. This surgery is a blessing. I am taking that blessing and holding it tight and am going to do what I need to in order to live a long life.

Angie

It's a long road on a long journey, but the views are spectacular.

Bless your heart hon. Reading instantly made me think of my mom. Besides the RA and hip, she's got most everything you developed and cancer, uterine and lung. I'm hopeful that she can receive WLS in the near future and have a great outcome like you too. Thank you for sharing. There is always hope!

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I hope it inspires others to reach out of their comfort zone and take their lives back.

@AngieK72

Wow, what a journey! Thanks for sharing your story. you've really been through a lot. Congratulations on your surgery! I can only imagine what great things are in store for you. I never had diabetes but I have heard many accounts of people who have overcome their diabetes and so many other medical conditions.

I bet that walking and being active will be so much more enjoyable for you! For myself (I never had hip or bone issues but general joint problems due to weight), I now love being up and active. I hope the same for you! I can't believe how much better my body feels. My blood pressure is now normal to low.

My husband used to work nights, too. I know all about getting take out on nights he was away. After surgery, I didn't want to do that anymore. Surgery is such a great tool to help us make better choices.

I hope you post often with your updates. Your story is exciting and I look forward to hearing your triumphs!

Edited by The New Kel

Thank you for posting. I wish you all the best on this endeavor.